World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi MarieK!

As one Pilothouse 20 owner to another, can you help please?

On the near-side (oops! port side!) of the Boat, directly under the side window

of the cabin, and straight down to roughly 18" below the gunwale, there is a

small round white plastic hole. It's roughly 1" diameter and goes straight in for

about 3" then narrows to about half an inch and carries on in as far as I can see.

If you've got one on your Boat should there be a plug in it? I can't see what

would stop water coming in and sinking me first time out!! Any ideas please?

Bit worried about holes in the hull!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
VL, if the hole in the cabin is above the waterline its probably there to drain anything out that comes into the cabin, ie when you wash the cabin out (you are allowed to you know)!
The chances of anything coming from below the gunwhale, 18" UP are pretty slim, but if water IS coming UP that pipe it means you are sinking! If you are that concerned about it stick a plug in it, but it will probably blow out as the water pushes air up the tube when you roll.
blueskip

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you look under the cushion in the cabin you will see space for a sink and cooker etc. This hole connects to the sink to drain the water, it should by high above the waterline if factory fitted and shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Just to add dont worry about the holes at the transom either, these are for the self draining deck and can be opened/closed by pulling the toggles inside the boat - I usually always leave them loose so rain etc drains away easily.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Blueskip,

That makes sense (I think!)

MarieK,

Thanks for the reply, I've just had a poke about in there and found what

you are describing. I never gave the sink a thought before, 'cos the Boat's

never been in the water yet (still on trailer in my garden!) and everything's still

wrapped up in plastic! Nice to have a hole to let water out and not in!!

The big holes at the Transom end I had actually sussed out (by Jove! I'm learnin')

but thanks for the confirmation anyway.

VL

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I wouldnt bother taking the plastic off the seats etc its good protection for them - you would be amazed how tatty etc they get!

Now get that boat into the water and give her life!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm workin' on it MarieK,

we've just about got everything we needed now. Over
the months we've gradually been getting together Life-Jackets, rope for mooring lines, (just spliced up the last of these!) Fenders and rope to hang them on, (I,ve still got to fix eyes at the middle of the gunwales each side) extra fuel tanks for safety, and spare Battery. Oh, I,ve also got to fix the anchor to the chain, the chain to the rope, and the rope to the Boat! We waited a year for a berth at Aberystwyth, which we've now got, and three months has already gone by without using it, wasted money or what?
Anyway, all we've got to do now is pluck up the courage to tow it to Aberystwyth and attempt to offload it in the Marina. I'm getting a bit nervous, (not that my Missus knows that!) but it shouldn't be too hazardous 'cos we've got a Trailer with a pivoting roller section at the back, which apparently makes life easier. Then the fun starts, 'cos once it's sitting safely on it's mooring, (optimist!) I've got to find out how to start the engine, (from the Manual!) remember to run it in gently for ten hours when I do try to pull away and steer through the Marina to take it out, make sure I stay within 2 yards of land 'til I've found out how to use the GPS from another users Manual, so we can find our way back when we do go more than 2 yards out, then if we do want to stay out for a while discover the joys of anchoring! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh! what have I done??

If you never hear from me again, thanks for all your help!!!!!
:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts