World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Marina caught mullett

4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  biggysmalls 
#1 ·
just thought I'd put a little warning on here about eating mullett caught fom marinas.

My dad mentioned to me last night that he has to regularly tell people fishing for mullett in the marina where he works not to eat them. Reason being that the antifouling used on boats these days is very soft and obviously pretty toxic to prevent weed/barnacles etc. growing on the boat. Where do mullett spend a lot of time sucking weed? ... along the bottom of boats (antifouling paint's obviously not that good!).

Mullett not from marina areas probably fine as long as there aren't too many boats nearby.

Don't want to sound too negative but just thought it was worth posting this.

#27 ·
At risk of going off the cooking topic, mullet are used extensively for bait in the USA. I'm not sure why they have such a sacred following here, maybe they are not such sustainable species in the UK compared to the USA. If you want to see some fireworks, why not set up a thread "Mullet versus carp for bait" and see who piles in first!

#29 ·
At risk of going off the cooking topic, mullet are used extensively for bait in the USA. I'm not sure why they have such a sacred following here, maybe they are not such sustainable species in the UK compared to the USA. If you want to see some fireworks, why not set up a thread "Mullet versus carp for bait" and see who piles in first!
I think it's cos some folk came up with the title of sport fish to put off us people who like to eat fish.

#30 ·
When i was 15 i was fishing down at Dundrum (murlough Bay) county down, caught two mullet about 2-3lbs each and a small 2lb sea trout all with a sand eel spinner. Was down there the other day, on the other side of the channel down at the mouth of the bay on the ballykinlar side were at least 100 seals on the beach, no joke,this is a good sign of fish..
I have been fishing that spot for over 20 years since i was a nipper and have always caught fish there each time.
This is an excellent spot for salmon too this time of year and there is a sand bank on the newcastle side at low tide that is good for bass when the tide is coming in but care must be taken as the sand can be very soft.

I dont really eat fish that much and would always return any i caught unless it was of a good size sea trout or salmon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.