World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the East arm of Brighton Marina this afternoon from 12.30 - 17.30 from Bay 54, Close in down the wall with ragworm produced a few blennies, a couple of wrasse and a pout. A short cast produced a couple of small black bream. I had a few peeler which I put out at distance which resulted in a starry smoothhound pup. there were a few gars showing at high water and the feather chuckers had a couple of dozen mackerel between them all day. Lovely weather and flat calm conditions.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
sounds like a nice little session Barry, nice to have a bit of variety!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Fished the East arm of Brighton Marina this afternoon from 12.30 - 17.30 from Bay 54, Close in down the wall with ragworm produced a few blennies, a couple of wrasse and a pout. A short cast produced a couple of small black bream. I had a few peeler which I put out at distance which resulted in a starry smoothhound pup. there were a few gars showing at high water and the feather chuckers had a couple of dozen mackerel between them all day. Lovely weather and flat calm conditions.
Was that a couple of dozen Mackerel between an army of feather chuckers?

What's the Mackerel situation on the Marina at present?:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Was that a couple of dozen Mackerel between an army of feather chuckers?

What's the Mackerel situation on the Marina at present?:)
In one word I would say strange. Towards the end of last week it was swarming with them and now it seems as if there not many at all. Could be somthing to do with the wind direction as not an awfull lot else has changed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess there was about 30 guys flogging the water all day long with nothing but feathers. An awful lot of effort for only a handful of fish between them. About 2 weeks ago it was full house every cast and there must have been thousands of mackerel slaughtered. Personally I prefer to have to work for a few mackerel and fish different methods and baits to get the variety the marina offers. Having the pier covered in flapping mackerel because the 'fishermen' are too lazy to kill or return them makes me very sad.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
About 2 weeks ago it was full house every cast and there must have been thousands of mackerel slaughtered.
Last week thousands there & thousands caught. This week fewer there and fewer caught. Maybe they've been "thinned out" a bit.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
No shortage of Mackerel out there around the Marina.
Out on the boat we were picking up strings of them for bait just a very short distance outside the marina .

They just didn`t seem to be close to the wall when you were there.
But don`t go thinking there arn`t many about as there are loads out there.

Alan

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Last week thousands there & thousands caught. This week fewer there and fewer caught. Maybe they've been "thinned out" a bit.
I did notice that last week when the water was literally alive with Mackerel that there were sevearl Dolphins a few hundred yards out. It was suggested - and I think it was correct - that the Mackerel were being forced inshore against the wall and being 'herded' by the Dolphins.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Went down to the marina this arvo straight after work and managed to just about catch high water. Tryed a bit of plugging down there and managed to catch a 1lbish schoolie on Rapala sliver. Did hook on to another, but it came off :(. Saw a few chasin the lures up but nothing bigger than 1lb i would say. Will hopefully be down there again tommorow if I can get away from work early enough. :thumbs:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Went down again this afternoon with plugs and caught another a bit smaller on the sliver again, saw a few chasing too but nothing big, much the same story really.

After high tide my brother and mate came down and we set up for mullet and groundbaited the area. After a few small bites my brother finally hooked into 1, he got it up near the surface it looked the best part of 2 or 3lb and then it came off! A short while after I hooked onto 1 and also got it near the surface, it was a bit bigger at the very least 3lb but looked more like 4. It was fighting reasonably hard then all of sudden it went nuts and started takin a fair bit of line off my reel. Thats when the knot on my hook gave up and I saw the fish drift back down under :(.

Gonna hopefully get down there again 2moz and get some prawns for a bit of bassing, will let ya know how we get on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just got back from the marina and managed a few bass on the prawns between us. Nothing amazing mainly 1lb or under. But my brother had a half decent one which was about 3.5lb, it put up a good scrap too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts