World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was going to be a session at Seaford beach but with the wind dropping like it did, meant that there would be little in the way of any surf, so a change of plan saw me opting to go to Brighton Marina instead.

I got onto the East arm by 7.30pm, an hour and a half after high water and got myself a space up at bay 31. I set up a rod with feathers to get some Mackerel for the Bass and another rod was set up with a size 4 two hook Sole rig baited with lug and cast out about fifty yards. While that rod did it's work, I set about getting some Mackerel which didn't seem to be that abundant.

It was a beautiful evening to be out - warm, with absolutely no breeze, slightly overcast sky and an oily calm sea. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the worm rod pull down, I struck and the first fish of the evening was soon on the deck - a Bream of around 20cm which went straight back. Another one was added to the tally a short while later. In the mean time, I managed half a dozen Mackerel which was enough for the session.

While setting up the Bass rod, I saw the other rod making the movements that meant the dreaded weed. I decided to bring it in before the weed built up too much and was soon dragging a heavy weight in. As it got near the base of the wall, I felt the 'weed' pulling back in jerking bursts and instead of the expected ball of crap, I saw a lovely Lobster flapping away. It was carefully hauled up the wall and was soon in it's new home - a bucket. Normally they get themselves tangled up in the line but this one was fairly hooked in the mouth parts after dining on the presented worm. They are usually found in the craggy parts near the wall base not out in the open fifty yards out. If I caught nothing else during night, I wouldn't be bothered as Anna and I would be having a beautiful dinner anyway.

A few more Bream were brought in but they were all in the 20cm bracket, so got their freedom. A break from the Bream came in the shape of a small Thorny just as darkness fell, this was followed by two schoolies in quick succession before it all went quiet for a long period. The Bass baits remained untouched apart from nibbling by whatever micro beasties were lurking in the vicinity.

All chances of a decent Bass were blown when a group set up not far down from me and proceeded to make more noise than a noisy thing and insisted on lighting up the whole area like Blackpool with unnecessarily bright lights, shining them everywhere and on to the water about them and me.

With this in mind, I packed up Bassing and continued with the Sole rig which brought in a few more small Bream. While awaiting the next capture, I busied myself, changing the water in the Lobster bucket and generally sorting through kit and making sure all rubbish was put away in a bag. I suppose it was half an hour later, when I retrieved to re-bait and noticed that there was a fish on and I was well pleased when I saw that it was a nice plump Sole of 28cm - oh what a lunch we were going to have!

Apart from the noise and light show along from me, it was a deathly quiet night and at times I could hear what seemed to be the noise of a Dolphin or Porpoise surfacing some way off, a slosh and whoosh sort of sound. Fish-wise, a couple more schoolies fell to the worm bait, along with one small 'Bootlace' eel and another small Thorny.

By 3am, things had died down and no more bites were coming, so it was with thoughts of a decent lunch, and happy at having had a good nights fishing, I packed up and headed for home.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well done on the lobster, I've been lucky enough to have a couple this year from the Portsmouth area

It looks like the lobster managed to get away from the last person who caught it as the picture shows he has a smaller claw so i assume he shed that claw the last time he was caught.

Lovely sole as well!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Vic

Well done there mate, what a cracking session.

I know where you are coming from with the noise and lights, it can be very frustrating that these anglers do not have the brains to know what they are doing, but hey ho the marina does draw some strange people, on my last look it looked like a refugee camp with all the tents.

All the best.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys.

The small claw is for the missus, I've done the work and get first choice */ gets a slap around the head for that one/*

It really pi55ed me off last night, from about bay 20, it was empty and they had loads of room - but no - it had to be within my range. I know it's a free country and people can fish where they like (virtually) but there seems to be no consideration for others, they were lighting up the water for Scad but it was enough to affect where I was. I swear one of them had s small portable sun on his head, damn near burned my retinas out. Think I may try and stick to some more remote, lesser used areas.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Another great sesh Vic and as always a good read....

I noticed from your post that you mentioned surf & seaford... does that mean you tend to target them over the low down there?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Rob

When I mention surf and Seaford in the same sentence, I actually mean any sort of wave action there. Seaford doesn't tend to have a surf in the traditional sense unless you go towards the shallow end at Tidemills.

I've found that although they can be caught at any state, my main success has been from about 2½ hours after low, over high and about an hour or so down - so a good spread of time.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Cheers Rob

When I mention surf and Seaford in the same sentence, I actually mean any sort of wave action there. Seaford doesn't tend to have a surf in the traditional sense unless you go towards the shallow end at Tidemills.

I've found that although they can be caught at any state, my main success has been from about 2½ hours after low, over high and about an hour or so down - so a good spread of time.
Interesting, I've not been giving Seaford enough time over the last couple of years...

Do you have any tips you could share for fishing snag city at the eastern end or just Seaford tips in general?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well done Vic, that sounds like a pretty species packed session. Good report as always and what a result for a seafood bbq.

Regards
Richard

·
Registered
175 Posts
Would love to haul up a lobster :clap: Well done mate :sun:

·
Registered
184 Posts
great report vic i enjoyed reading that sham no pb bass for you but iv got a feeling your going to get it soon i think me and dan are going on one of brighton beaches tomorrow night if your about just give one of us a text

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
A good read as always Vic,nice varied species session,Nice looking Lobby and an even better Sole in my opinion,Id have the Sole over the Lobster anyday.

Hope to catch up with ya soon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What a lovely brace of seafood to take home - made me feel hungry just reading about it!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers peeps.

Had the brace for supper yesterday and was promptly ordered to go and do the same again. Now being an obedient spouse, how could I refuse?

Went back to the marina last night to use up some leftover bait - what a crock of crap! The place was heaving but managed a space up in 48. Fishing on the bottom was out for the time being due to huge amounts of weed clogging stuff up. Managed a few Mackerel for bait and then managed to move back down to 38 later and managed to fish bottom about half way through the ebb.

Left at 3am with the final tally at 4 eels (all snots), one schoolie and a thumb print sized thornie... oh and about 5 times my own body weight in weed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts