World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Govnerment has published a White Paper to deliver the vision of a clean healthy safe productive and biologically diverse sea.
In March 2006 DEFRA undertook a consultation on proposals for a Marine Bill.
It intends to allow the UK Govnerment and the devolved administration to take proactive decisions and implement them
The main proposals to be introduced are as follows
1 A new UK-wide sysytem of marine planning
2 A streanlined, transparent and consistent system for licencing all marine developement
3 A fexible mechanism to protect natural resources, including protected zone areas with clear objectives
4. Improvements to the management of marine fisheries in relation to England, Wales and N.ireland and the ability to share costs of management with commercial and the recreational sector
5.A new Marine Management Organisation delivering to uk waters

All parties are invited to contribute in the form of a reply either by email or in letter form
The wesite address is http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/marinebill-whitepaper07/index.htm

Alternatively your replies can be sent to :-
Marine Legislation Division
Defra
Area 2E
3-8 Whitehall Place London
SW1A 2HH

I highly recommend that all clubs, Officers and individuals send their replies to one of the above addresses. This is all about your sea fishing future and your response is valuable. Please get involved

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
bsafish, ive just deleted the rest of the posts that you have "shotgunned" (multiple threads of the same content, posted across the forums). Please go and read the house rules for me.:blink:

Its a interesting thread with a good debateable content, perhaps it will be best in General Fishing forum.:)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its going to be people from land locked constituencies that are the most likely to support us as they don't have the fishing industry to worry about!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
From Govt, DEFRA, & a brand new Marine Management Organisation, we can be assured that in 10 yrs p**s all will have changed, & IF there are any fish left in the sea, we will still have the anglers trying to protect them, & the commercials trying to catch them.:giveup:
This debate will run forever, its like religion, & Coronation St, its always going to be hanging about, & its never going to be resolved:g:
blueskip

·
Registered
35 Posts
All parties are invited to contribute in the form of a reply either by email or in letter form
The wesite address is http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/co...er07/index.htm

This to me is the important bit of this thread. It needs all anglers in this forum and others across the country to make our voices known to the government. It may not make the slightest difference as Blair & merry men will take whatever is the most expedient decision to them at the time but we cannot just sit back and do nothing. There are regular posts in this forum about commercials trawling to the fringes of beaches, that sort of action needs highlighting for the damage is does to inshore fish stocks. The Norwegians & Icelandics have sensible conservation measures, why can't we?

Martin Salter may be an angling MP, but will surely be a lone voice in parliament so will need our support and encouragement if we are to stand any chance of having sea anglers interests taken into account in formulating the proposed white paper.

Please all, do your bit for your sport.

15,082 Posts

This to me is the important bit of this thread. It needs all anglers in this forum and others across the country to make our voices known to the government. It may not make the slightest difference as Blair & merry men will take whatever is the most expedient decision to them at the time but we cannot just sit back and do nothing. There are regular posts in this forum about commercials trawling to the fringes of beaches, that sort of action needs highlighting for the damage is does to inshore fish stocks. The Norwegians & Icelandics have sensible conservation measures, why can't we?
Martin Salter may be an angling MP, but will surely be a lone voice in parliament so will need our support and encouragement if we are to stand any chance of having sea anglers interests taken into account in formulating the proposed white paper.

They are not in the EU or part of the CFP.We are! Ben Bradshaw can do or say as he pleases...Until Brussels slap his wrist and tell him not to be a silly boy,get his act together and full in line.:)

Ron

15,082 Posts
You can decide for yourselves where Ben Bradshaw's priorities are in these paragraphs of a personal letter I received from him and dated 12th April '07.

"I am sorry that you are unhappy with my recent decision not to increase the MLS for bass until I have considered the new evidence available.

Perhaps it would help if I explained the background to the decision. As you will be aware, following extensive consultation, I announced last year my intention to increase the MLS for bass from 36 - 40cm. This was based on a thorough evaluation of all the evidence available at that time and the costs and benefits of the options, set out in detail in the Regulatory Impact Assessment (RIA).

Since this time, DEFRA has received a number of representations from commercial fishermen concerned about the impacts of the proposed measures, and on March 14th, I met with officials from the National Federation of Fishermen's Organisations (NFFO) to discuss these concerns. They outlined a number of issues relating to the impact the measures would have on both the stocks of bass and the livelihoods of fishermen, and asked me to reconsider my decision.

I therefore agreed to consider the points raised by the NFFO and any new evidence not already assessed in the RIA before introducing the measures."

Now that's what I call a lobby!
Read carefully between the lines and ask yourselves WHEN the Minister will consider that 'evidence' has finally been considered.

It stinks to me of a football match in which the Sports Minister's favourite team keeps finding itself behind at full time, but the kindly Minister keeps granting extra time for the losing team to draw level.

Very peeshed orf!

:thumbdown

He has already considered it...The threat of a court case in Brussels sealed it.It's over along with the waste of money Tope consultation.
The MLS size could well come DOWN due to evidence being presented that Bass are over running Estuarys,albeit small and taking food from the chain and other species not getting a look in!
There are calls among some commercial groups for a mls size for Bass as low as 25mls.....And they may just get it should Brussels agree.

Ron

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts

will have look but dont be fooled by iceland and norway both hunt whales and kill seals,yes they have huge things in projecting there waters ,something like that with out the mammals that live in are seas.shaggy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts