World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My son as recently completed his level 2 mechanics, and is currently doing his level 3. He realy wants to go into the marine side of it, but cant find any college course that cover this. Can anyone point him in the right direction, he seems to have run into a brick wall now.
Thanks in advance Bazz

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Have you tried the MITEC centre in Milford Haven? - They do boat building courses but don't know if they do marine mechanic courses.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
tell him to look for a marine engineering apprenticeship, by far the best way to get qualifications and money all the way through the training. apprenticeship will also make him much more employable as he will have the experience to match his qualifications

·
Registered
8,340 Posts

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
tell him to look for a marine engineering apprenticeship, by far the best way to get qualifications and money all the way through the training. apprenticeship will also make him much more employable as he will have the experience to match his qualifications
trouble is stewart another 90 odd thousand youngsters out of work ..apprenticeships are like rocking horse poo.. my boys been trying to get work for the last two years .its soal distroying for youngsters at the moment ..firms say they need more imagrints they just want cheap labour.. i know our kids will do doggy jobs if they got the chance the whole thing stinks

·
Registered
104 Posts
nephew really loves, it he's off to a certain "north african" country for
7 months.....hopefully to keep the peace....:busted_co

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
trouble is stewart another 90 odd thousand youngsters out of work ..apprenticeships are like rocking horse poo.. my boys been trying to get work for the last two years .its soal distroying for youngsters at the moment ..firms say they need more imagrints they just want cheap labour.. i know our kids will do doggy jobs if they got the chance the whole thing stinks
well im in the last year of my 4 year boatbuilding apprenticeship, my brothers just starting his second year engineer apprenticeship. the company i work for takes on at least 6 apprentices each year spread over all the trades. most kids say they want an apprenticeship but they've got no interest when they actually get one cos they cant be bothered to work. most companys will only take on people that show plenty of enthusiasm to complete 3 or 4 years on **** money. every part of the country is different with employment figures

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, il pass on the info.

He didnt realy want to go back to college, as he realy wants to work. But one thing he does understand, is he dont want to be on the dole, so thinks himself better off in college. He currently has a part time job, working behind a bar just to make shilling or two. But like a few of you have already said, there aint much out there for the youngsters. And this is even harder on the ones who want to make something of themselves.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, il pass on the info.

He didnt realy want to go back to college, as he realy wants to work. But one thing he does understand, is he dont want to be on the dole, so thinks himself better off in college. He currently has a part time job, working behind a bar just to make shilling or two. But like a few of you have already said, there aint much out there for the youngsters. And this is even harder on the ones who want to make something of themselves.
please ask him to look into royal navy, it has so much to offer..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi Special 'M',

Sorry only just picked this post up as not been on for a while.

As Simon Barefoot mentioned I work at the Marine College in Falmouth teaching Marine Engineering from level 1-3 practicle and theory. If you require any info on the course and apprentiships feel free to call me on 07815041507 or send a PM. If I miss your call leave a short message and I will call you as soon as I can.

Regards

Kev

·
Registered
405 Posts
Interesting Stuart46, my Charlie has just completed his 1st year Marine Eng. at college and he applied for an apprenticeship for his 2nd year and there were 15-17 other applicants for just one position.

Poor sod didn't get it, but as I said to him - it's there loss, he has things like 100% attendance records and glowing references (I wondered if they were talking about my son!!!). So he's just started his 2nd year now and will apply for an apprenticeship at the end of this accademic year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts