World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just tried using the Met Office's MarineCall SMS weather forecasts over the Bank Holiday weekend and I'm not impressed.

The SMS service offers an 8 hour prediction covering wind speed and direction, temperature, visibility and likelihood of rain which is sent as a text to your mobile. Sea state and Beauford Scale would be useful, as would a barometer reading.

The forecast for Southend on Sunday offered an apparent 33% chance of rain, despite a plummeting barometer and mare's tails in the sky - as I predicted we ended up with 100% rain for several long cold hours.

We decided to get into Burnham to dry off and warm up. At around 8 am I requested the Essex and Burnham weather reports, and they finally arrived at 4.45 pm, by which time I was home with a glass of something warming!

I also discovered that the station "Essex" was actually the Essex Marina, and that "Burnham" was the (very friendly) Burnham Yacht Harbour where we left the boat. Essex and Burnham are about half a mile apart on the Crouch.

We found the Mickey Mouse BBC TV weather forecast more helpful, combined with common sense and a basic ability to read the weather and sea conditions.

Has anyone else had a go with this yet?

PS I shall save my comments on the MarineCall web forecast download for another post!

G

·
I have never used the service. Why pay for it when the XC weather site is updated far more regularly, is far more accurate and best of all is free:clap3:

15,082 Posts
I've just tried using the Met Office's MarineCall SMS weather forecasts over the Bank Holiday weekend and I'm not impressed.

The SMS service offers an 8 hour prediction covering wind speed and direction, temperature, visibility and likelihood of rain which is sent as a text to your mobile. Sea state and Beauford Scale would be useful, as would a barometer reading.

The forecast for Southend on Sunday offered an apparent 33% chance of rain, despite a plummeting barometer and mare's tails in the sky - as I predicted we ended up with 100% rain for several long cold hours.

We decided to get into Burnham to dry off and warm up. At around 8 am I requested the Essex and Burnham weather reports, and they finally arrived at 4.45 pm, by which time I was home with a glass of something warming!

I also discovered that the station "Essex" was actually the Essex Marina, and that "Burnham" was the (very friendly) Burnham Yacht Harbour where we left the boat. Essex and Burnham are about half a mile apart on the Crouch.

We found the Mickey Mouse BBC TV weather forecast more helpful, combined with common sense and a basic ability to read the weather and sea conditions.

Has anyone else had a go with this yet?

PS I shall save my comments on the MarineCall web forecast download for another post!

I think I spoke to you,did you bring the Lochin into the Marina on the way to Maldon Basin?

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts