World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble with my auxillary outboard,it's a 4 hp mariner.
Left old stale fuel in it and now the carb seems 2 b gummed up.
Had it apart a few times and cleaned with carb cleaner but no joy.
I was wondering if theres something i could buy 2 soak the carb. overnight 2 see if it might clear it.
The engine will start but does'nt like to idle and revs it's guts out and then dies on me.
Any ideas would be apprciated.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Try a can of butane lighter fuel, obviously disconnect the cab from the engine first. Blow the can through the fuel inlet, there should be an adaptor in the cap which will seal the can. The combination of the pressure and the butane which is a solvent for the gunge should clear it. Don't forget to clean or replace any fuel fiters along the way.

If that doesn't work you will have to strip it down completely and blow all the jets and galleries out with compressed air. When you replace it make sure the arb to engine gasket is sound or fit a new one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 4 that Chrisp it sounds like a good idea,will try it soon,never thought of lighter fuel, though did try carb cleaner through the air intake and did a strip down and blew most of the jets i could find through.
All the best.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like a combo of blocked jet(s) , and air leak .Make sure you take the jets out and see if you can see daylight thru' 'em . Before putting 'em back in ,give the passages where they fit a scoosh with carby cleaner or whatever , making sure the solvent blows out all the holes and passages in the body of the carby , and check the carby- to- manifold , and manifold- to- engine sealing . If you scoosh some wd40 or similar round these joints while the motor is trying to run , you may see bubbles or the engine may pick up ,or die, or smoke out the exhaust , indicating a leak . Also , did you set the low speed mixture/air/idle screw if fitted ?Could be it's screwed right in if theres one on the carby . Did the engine run ok when last used ? If so , most likely the blocked jet/airleak scenario, if the carby is re assemled correctly . Check also that if you stripped the throttle slide , that the needle is in correctly , ie , if it should be at the bottom of the slide body it is so , not assembled out of sequence . If you have a shop manual , all will be clear on this.
Good luck ,
Cheers.
FB-D.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 4 the reply FB-D will be trying all the tips posted back as soon as i get a little spare time.
U could be right about air getting in the system so i'll try the wd40 tip before i strip down again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts