World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Mariner 50 grommet update and big thanks

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mattyR 
#1 ·
Some of you may have seen my post regarding a overheating problem on my year 2000 Mariner 50 fourstroke. See

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182178&highlight=mariner+50

After some discussion and post searching all avenues seemed to point to the famous corrosion/grommet issue. As most of you probably know by now the root cause of the problem is the corrosion caused by the combination of copper water pipe, steel gasket and alloy adapter plate causing the grommet to squeeze into the bore of the water pipe and restricting flow to the powerhead.

Decision was made to try and do the job myself so that I could spend the time and clean off the corrosion and treat/protect/insulate the suspect area.

With the help of a couple of forum regulars...you know who you are folks and again...I can't thank you enough....myself and my dad managed to get the job done in an afternoon. Having never stripped an outboard before i was a bit daunted but due to the guys help got it sorted with few issues.

The grommet was badly blocked...roughly 50% I reckon. I took some pics and will post when I get them off my phone.

The problem only really manifests when the engine is under load so although we ran it on muffs last night for a good while I decided to road test it as it were this afternoon.

launched from Channel View leisure centre and went for a blast. Stayed inside the barrage and gave the engine a test. Ran it flat out and at 3/4 throttle for just about an hour and no sign of the overheat warning....so fingers crossed the issue is sorted.

Lots of satisfaction from doing the job yourself(not to mention the £££'s saved)but without the guys help I would have struggled.

Big thanks :clap3: to the forum people for all the advice and especially two of the most helpful, patient and generally nicest gents I've had the pleasure of speaking to/exchanging messages with...Top Men!!!

Matt

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.