World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Our cadet safety boat has the aforementioned engine which has just developed a problem.

The engine has recently started to throw out blue smoke when idling. We had it out the water to clean and grease it and I checked the plugs then, very black but dry. It has a good jet of water from the tell tail, but this is warm water coming out, my own boat runs cold.

Any thoughts welcome.

Oh yes, I cannot find any servicing records for this engine at the cadet unit, and I am led to believe it has not seen a service, or been winterized in the last 3 years

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi guys, Our cadet safety boat has the aforementioned engine which has just developed a problem.

The engine has recently started to throw out blue smoke when idling. We had it out the water to clean and grease it and I checked the plugs then, very black but dry. It has a good jet of water from the tell tail, but this is warm water coming out, my own boat runs cold.

Any thoughts welcome.

Oh yes, I cannot find any servicing records for this engine at the cadet unit, and I am led to believe it has not seen a service, or been winterized in the last 3 years

Cheers
Dave
Dave

If you are working with kids then you really should read this report from the Marine Accident Investigation Bureau, which details the sad and unnecessary death of a pupil at Portsmouth.

The link to the complete report, I have posted this before!!!

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/portsmouth_dory.pdf

I have copied and pasted the relevent paragraph about the outboard motor , as the whole report is 49 pages long.

2.5 OUTBOARD MOTOR
Very few accidents are caused by a single event. In nearly every case they
result from an accumulation of seemingly unconnected circumstances which,
when grouped together, lead to whatever happened. The inquiry looked at other
possible contributing factors to this tragedy. It focused attention on the outboard
engine.
When the boat was purchased, the 1985 built outboard engine had not been
used for some time. While in the ownership of Boundary Oak School it was
regularly serviced but, according to Mr Clover who was familiar with the engine,
it had a habit of stalling at low speeds when the throttle was closed.
It was therefore a relatively old engine and had a history of stalling despite
regular servicing.
In its Safety in Hazardous Pursuits document, the Hampshire County Council
says of petrol and two stroke outboard engines that they should normally be
replaced every three years. The MAlB has no grounds to disagree with this
sensible advice. The accident occurred just over three years after the outboard
engine had been purchased second hand.
On the day of the accident the outboard engine failed twice, the first as the dory
got underway. Despite the known problems with the engine, the activity was
allowed to proceed although the safety boat was not available to stand by. It too
had an engine that would not start.

Cheers Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts