World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Edinburgh originally but have moved up to Dundee or university. Not knowing the area, I have had several failed trips out to places that look good but hold little success.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some good marks near Dundee, need I travel to Arbroath? Or are there places closer by that I can take my flatmates (they are relatively new to the whole sea fishing thing).

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not my area mate but riverside drive near the football pitches is one mark i think i have heard. Stick riverside drive Dundee into the search button at the top of the page. Hopefully someone local will give you a couple of marks. Have you looked at cod head bob's site. Think he may cover as Dundee ?? Tight lines

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep, Riverside drive always a fish there. Then there is Stannergate, Tayport, Wormit and Gauldry, and Broughty Ferry too. Depends on which species your after :thumbs:

If yer stuck in Dundee Riverside is probly the best, there is always a flounder to be found (although they can be small) and other species often show up too. Fish behind Discovery point all the way up to the airport using most baits (herring and mackie work well but so does prawn, crab, worms and spinning lures). You can even pop into Tesco for your bait or a cuppa. :clap3:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks, I'd be keen for a bit of cod fishing. Would I need to move away from the rivermouth in order to catch them?

I have caught pollock at Broughty Ferry before but I'm not sure if that was just a wanderer or actually common around that area. I'm kinda stuck to bus routes and things but would be able to travel in a car every now and then.

·
Registered
177 Posts
U get the odd small codling from riverside drive but better nearer Arbroath for bigger ones!sure it wasn't a coalie u got at the ferry?personally I would fish nearer tayport the fish seem to be on the bigger side an a chance of a bass as well.fished the cliffs at Arbroath last wk had 2 small codling around 1.5lb an a coalie.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For a large cod you really need to try further up the coast, although some codling have been caught at Riverside.

Your best bet Arbroath, has quite a few marks including the harbour cages, the cliffs to the north, Vicky and Elliot Parks, or behind Bally's nightclub which fishes best over a high tide. Or you can aways try Easthaven or Auchmithie and beyond to places like Ethie Mains and Usan. Type any of these place names in the search box at the top and you will get a better idea of marks. Not sure of the Fife marks for cod tho, but you should check out Codhead Bobs website for some excelllent cod marks and advice (google it).

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi I'm travelling up to Dundee for work next Friday. I'm looking for somewhere I can fish for a couple of hours not too fussed about species. I'm travelling up from Leicester so 380 miles each way and roughly 7 hours drive in a transit van. I want somewhere I can fish that will make the journey worth it I'm driving back the same day so won't be able to enjoy an entire day fishing. Is there anywhere near Dundee that fishes well this time of year. I'm planning to leave Leicester around 2am and be in Dundee around 9am. No idea about tide times or species as I usually fish Dover Dungeness or Folkestone. Any information would be helpful on Mark's and baits. Is there anywhere I can fish without a permit, or anywhere I can pay for a days fishing.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You'll arrive in Dundee at low tide, I would go towards the railway bridge and go straight into the little carpark next to the old railway coach café, have some breakfast and a couple of hours sleep, then when you have some water in front of you fish flapper rigs for the flatties with fish baits, you might get lucky and hit a Sea Trout, but you have to put them back if you haven't got a permit from the council first. Nowhere is fishing well at the moment, in fact it's been described as dire at the moment, the Cod never really arrived and the chance of finding one is slim in the daylight.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hi Andrew

If you get fed up of fishing the Tay estuary try the East Neuk of Fife there are loads of marks their. Codhead Bobs website is a good starter. Or if you walk the coastal path you will find other marks, you are spoilt for choice.

Tight lines
Jamie

I'm from Edinburgh originally but have moved up to Dundee or university. Not knowing the area, I have had several failed trips out to places that look good but hold little success.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some good marks near Dundee, need I travel to Arbroath? Or are there places closer by that I can take my flatmates (they are relatively new to the whole sea fishing thing).

Cheers,
Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts