World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

recently acquired a boat and keen to get out fishing. Anyone got any advice on decent marks around the East Lizard area (Lizard point to Helford)? Tried a few wreck locations from wreck finder with little luck - there are so many its hard to know where to start!

Interested in productive wrecks for Jigging for Pollack/Cod and also marks for bottom fishing for species hunting.

When bottom fishing what methods are best? Drop and anchor and up/downtide? Fish on drift?

Clearly a total beginner to boat fishing so any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks a mill!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Larry,

I holiday down there most years. I launch a sea kayak from Porthallow beach or Portkerris and paddle out to the edge of The Manacles reef. Have had great success on the drift for mackerel, herring, bass and pollock. Feathers for the bait and the live bait for the bass. Shads work well for the pollock.

The tide runs hard and there are rocks hidden very close to the surface. I would recommend going out in very calm conditions on a spring low tide to mark the area with your plotter so you can get to know the place or better still find a knowledgable local.

I've fished the Coverack side too but found the manacles gives more varied and productive fishing and it tends to be more sheltered from a SW / W wind.

I'd also strongly recommend reading Neville's (Salar on here) book which you can download from his website for free.

http://www.boat-angling.co.uk

Good luck and stay safe.

Paul

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi I fish out of the Falmouth. I have struggled this year on the fish front. I have had conger and Huss when anchoring the manacles. Drifting wil baited feathers is a good way to try for different species. The headland lizard side of coverack is not to bad for pollock but you need a bit of tide. You can get Ray in the Fal from the deep channel. I'm no expert but hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks kuhn123. Any thoughts on best times of tide for the manacles? Also, do you anchor on the rough ground at the manacles or adjacent sand/mud?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I anchor on the rough ground . tide direction will determine which side as you want the current to take the baits into the manacles. I am no expert but neaps are better for anchoring an springs for drifting for bass .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers. Saw fair few boats anchoring today. We decided to drift, not experienced enough to anchor in rough ground just yet. Had a cracking day - plenty of nice sized Mackerel from the Manacles. Then stumbled across a really nice looking ridge about 1km from Dean point and got a bunch of nice sized Pollock and Cod to about 5lbs. Got the bug now!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There did seem to be a few mackerel and herring around in the bay yesterday. Small scad tight to the bottom.

If you are planning to anchor right in the rough stuff I would possibly recommend a grapple style anchor with a buoy linked in. So if the worst comes to it and you come fast there is a chance you can steam against it and bend the prongs free. Then just bend them back later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts