World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicken breast Food Cuisine Sashimi

Cheap shot I know but maybe now some of you suspect characters can now help me?:happy:

Just want to know honestly & without prejudice if it's worth my while buying a Sonik bass rod? (SK3 3-5oz bass)

Without meaning to sound like a total loser (too late!), I'm a new teacher and father and spending around £100 on anything personal is very hard to justify (actually its just the truth), even without the wife knowing!.

So the idea of 'upgrading' (from a carp rod) to a bass rod that may snap the moment I hit the beach/rocks seems ridiculous. I'm also slightly worried about what I've read abut Sonik's warranty/customer service. Is that a genuine concern?

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Just to add, much as i'd like to I can't afford the conoflex/ZZ/AA options...

Thank you :notworthy

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Can't really say anything about the Sonik but I've been using the Shakespeare Salt Bass for quite a few years and they are brilliant rods for the money...

http://www.cactusfishing.com/shakespeare-salt-bass-116ft-p-45464.html

2-4oz casting and the pair I have come out to play whenever tides and conditions in the Bristol Channel allow:thumbs:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another vote for the Shakey Salt gear.

I've got the flattie rod and it's a great piece of kit for the money.

I'm in a similar predicament to yourself (baby twins) and I know how important it is to stretch the pennies wherever you can.

Top notch tackle is really nice to have, but it's not the "be all and end all". There's some great gear to be had for reasonable money that'll have you fishing happily for years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
View attachment 151776

Cheap shot I know but maybe now some of you suspect characters can now help me?:happy:

Just want to know honestly & without prejudice if it's worth my while buying a Sonik bass rod? (SK3 3-5oz bass)

Without meaning to sound like a total loser (too late!), I'm a new teacher and father and spending around £100 on anything personal is very hard to justify (actually its just the truth), even without the wife knowing!.

So the idea of 'upgrading' (from a carp rod) to a bass rod that may snap the moment I hit the beach/rocks seems ridiculous. I'm also slightly worried about what I've read abut Sonik's warranty/customer service. Is that a genuine concern?

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Just to add, much as i'd like to I can't afford the conoflex/ZZ/AA options...

Thank you :notworthy
Dunno about their bass rod but i've been using the SKS and have no problems at all even throwing my full weight behind it when casting.I think for the money it's a bl**dy good rod.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sonik Bass is a great rod for the money. at 12ft6 and handles up to 5oz its just a light beach rod. Ive had rays to over 8lb on mine this year and handles them easy. Nice rod to cast as well. Mine always comes out as long as its not too rough.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all. First off I apologise for not having followed up my post earlier...I've been mad busy but all your advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks also fishylee76 for your kind offer. I'd considered the penn and will defo think about it

I must admit that while cheap n cheerful I've used Shakespeare rods for coarse fishing for years without complaint. In fact I use the speare expedition travel spin rod for my plugging and it's fantastic.

I'm also being drawn to the greys rods too. Always thought they were expensive 'elitist' rods but like to the look of the BZE, platinum and grx-s. Anyone got anything to say about em?

Personally I find it hard to believe that Sonik SK3s are that likely to be faulty. As I said, surely their place in the market would be in serious jeapardy if this were a reality?

Lastly, deep thought good luck with the twins! My sis has just had some and it sounds like real fun :)

Ta all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts