World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing Report for Wk of April 15, 2007, Master Baiter´s Sportfishing and Tackle
Written by Stan Gabruk, www.mbsportsfishing.com

Like I´ve said many times before and undoubtly will say it many more times, things can change in the blink of an eyes around here in Puerto Vallarta. Literally, hours after I completed and sent my last weekly report in, that very same afternoon Anglers were returning from the fishing grounds with Sails, Dorado, Jack Cravelles like crazy, and more.

At Corbeteña and El Banco, the water has finally returned to it´s normal Saphire Blue, with smooth seas, clear skies and temperate weather. They have all come together at last.

El Banco, for this past week anyway, has not been worth the trip. Plenty of Skip Jacks (Skippies) and sardines as well as other bait fish. But no game fish worth the trip. So we´ve seen very few people venturing out to The Bank. With all the action being closer to shore, the more experienced Captains are directing their clients towards more fertile areas.

Now you may say, “Where is that”?... Glad you asked! Lets start with Corbeteña. The action has picked up a little, but for the most part, if you´re not in the vicinity of Spinner Dolphins you would probably come in empty handed if looking for Yellowfin Tuna! There are also Pargo south of the Rock in the shallows. But the water temperatures are moving up, they´re in the 80 degree range in the warmer areas. But the temperatures have been fluctuating, so we´ll keep an eye on this in the coming weeks.

This week, the action was again located north of Punta De Mita. Anywhere from the Sayulita area north for about five miles and five miles wide are Jack Cravelles just boiling like something you´d see in a Science fiction movie. It´s monsterous out there... Farther to the north, Sailfish are running ten wide. It´s like a Sailfish charriott races, without the charriott! They´re everywhere from Sayulita to San Francisco / San Pauncho areas.... I mean thousands. But they´re being a little finikie (did I spell that correctly). Can´t really tell you the exact reason why, my belief is there are so many Sardines out there, they´re taking what´s in front of them at their leisure. Charters are returning with Sails, but sometimes they´ll take the bait, other times not. But for the numbers of fish out there, you´d think there´d be more hook-ups. The good news here is the we´re showing early signs of what could hopefully be a strong year. Definatly worth your time.

If you´re thinking of targeting Rooster fish, the real chicken of the sea, then you´ll find them in abundance in the El Morro area. Good sized also, most over 45 inches in length. So if you´ve been dreaming of boating a Rooster fish before the rainy season, this is your chance. Get out there now. They´re also in the Marrieta Islands, but be careful, the Navy is out there enforcing distance restrictions around the reefs and other sensitive areas.

You´ve got your normal, reliable, in shore fishing which is great for smaller game fish
or those looking for some serious action, yet don´t feel like being on the water for the whole day. Nothing like a plate full of fresh Red Snapper on the dinner table.

To sum the week up, the water temperatures are still all over the placce, but there´s plenty of blue water out there. So the warm spots will continue to produce while the chilly areas will continue to be empty of game fish. Check the satelite´s for water temperatures, keep your ears open listening on the radio while you´re out there. Hopefully your Spanish is OK! I know mine could be much better. If you do these things the chances of you boating a Anglers Fantasy are better than good!

Like always if you´ve got any questions about anything in Puerto Vallarta, not just fishing, please feel free to ask. You can also reach me at: [email protected] or at www.mbsportsfishing.com (this is a new location for my web page if you´re looking for me in Marina Vallarta). For my loyay clients, I¨m changing my company name soon, so stay tuned for an update. If you´d like to be on my mailing list to get the latest and greatest information, drop me a line and I´d be happy to send you my updates.

Special Thanks to Terry Hill, User Name Cascars, for inviting me to write a weekly contribution to your site.

It's a wonderful site and I'm glad to be a part of this fine organization.

I'll be posting regularly here, for those of you looking to come to Mexico, Puerto Vallarta in particular, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. It doesn't have to be a fishing question either. I know Puerto Vallarta, it's a wonderful place, with wonderful people......

Until next week, Don´t for get to kiss your fish!

Master Baiter's Sportfishing and Tackle is located in Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta. We specialize in boating Monster Tuna over 200 lbs or 100 kilos. Black, Blue and Striped Marlin, Mahi Mahi, Sailfish and lots more. We're recommended in Foders Travel guide for 2007. We're also World Bill fishing series boat of the year, captain or the year, and Angler of the year twice since the year 2001!

Remember, at Master Baiter's Sportfishing and Tackle, " We Won't Jerk You Around"

C

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the report Stan. I wish I was still there!
Hopefully anyone looking for a holiday destination or for a fishing break in Mexico will find your reports very useful and I look forward to reading them on a regular basis until I can get back there
Terry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fishing Report for Wk or May 13, 2007 for Master Baiter’s Sportfishing and Tackle.
Written by: Stan Gabruk

Here in Puerto Vallarta you can see the changes in the seasons in the evening and in the mornings. For May the weather has been cooler than normal with afternoon breezes, smooth seas and comfortable temperatures. Like normal for May, tourism is a little slow as families in the United States are getting ready for the kids to get out of school. In another week or so the Summer Season starts and Puerto Vallarta will be bursting again with new faces discovering our Mexican Paradise for the first time. Hopefully one of those discoveries will be our World Class Sportfishing.

For the lucky few these past few weeks, they’ve enjoyed boating some truly spectacular pescado or fish! The Menu this week is pretty much the same, but the different fishing spots in our famous fishing grounds are specializing in variations of our seasonal varied menu.

Being in the New Moon Phase now we’re seeing the Yellowfin Tuna, Footballs, are still running with the Spinner Dolphin. It’s incredible to imagine how spectacular it is to be surrounded by jumping Dolphin (2 meters in the air) as your arms are burning from the 35 YF Footballs you’ve just boated! Corbetena is alive with action, and like usual, your chances of catching bigger game fish improves with distance. Away from the Spinners, 140 lb. Yellowfin have been boated here at the Rock, using the usual baits. Google Eyes rigged with the same blue and white skirts is still working fine. There has been some luck with the old fashioned cedar plugs. Nothing fancy, but reliable.

Snapper in the 25 lb range are thick at Corbetena as well. When the Snappers are surface feeding, the sea is just red with their color in an area as large as a WalMart, Parking lot and all! Nice sized Dorado have been boated here as well. Not much news regarding Wahoo. Some Marlin, Sails as well. It’s more miss than hit at the moment.

The Bank or El Banco is finally showing some signs of life after weeks of non-activity! Striped Marlin, Blue Marlin and the occasional Black Marlin are coming in. It’s still early in the season and they’re for the most part just babies. Some being at or below the 100 lb mark. Fun on light line, but remember to let them live for another day. Large Yellowfin, Sails and of course Rainbow runners at the high spots. Your chances are better of returning with fish these past few days than in the past weeks. Could turn into a hot spot soon, so stay tuned.

El Morro, The Marietta’s, and points north of Punta Mita are doing very well this week. Rooster fish are thick, running 25 to 40 lbs. They fight like a fish twice their size. Jack Cravells, Snappers, Mackerels, and very small Dorado. It looks like young schools are hanging around the islands.

The water is Blue now after a few days of brown water. Ocean temperatures are averaging 83 degrees about now, perfect for Summer High Season. So get your gear out, check the drags, change the line, and be prepared. Last June was Monster and we may have the same thing happen this Month. What’s that Boy Scout Motto again?

For those of you reading my article from Canada or The States, or here in PV for that matter, drop me a line and get on my e-mail list. I’ll be putting out news letters about up coming events here in Puerto Vallarta. Like the upcoming fishing tournament in July at Paradise Village. Check out the web site: www.fishingtournamentvallarta.com and get back to me if you’re interested. I have seven boats now to choose from, so we have something for every person’s budget! Maybe that way I’ll be able to figure out how many readers I have. I figure I’m up to 25 now… ha ha.

Like always, you can contact me, Stan at: [email protected] or at [email protected] with your questions about anything.

Until next week, don’t forget to kiss your fish.

At Master Baiters Sportfishing and Tackle, we pride ourselves on being the Number 1 Sportfishing Charter in mainland Mexico. We have the best equipped and fastest boats in Puerto Vallarta. Our goal is to provide you the fishing experience of a lifetime! Last year we boated more Marlin and Yellowfin Tuna over 300 pounds than we could keep track of.

We also have a wide selection of unique high quality Hats, T-Shirts, souvenirs and novelty items to surprise your friends and family back home with something truly unique as seen on Jay Leno, Conan and David Letterman! We’re also recommended in the 2007 Fodor’s Travel Guide for Puerto Vallarta (Pg. 156).

Our downtown location is at the entrance of the new Shopping Center “Small Vallarta” by McDonald’s (107 “31 de Octubre” street), Tel:222-4043. Or come to our Marina Vallarta store (Tel: 322-779-7571) located at the Light House between docks F and G. Come in and say hello to Stan, or Kenny. And remember, at Master Baiters “WE WON´T JERK YOU AROUND!”

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Thanks Stan for that very comprehensive and entertaining report.

It's certainly going to tempt any waivers. Although some might view with some trepidation the very thought of those huge Yellowfin that show up off your coast!

Apart from that 'big one' - the 375 pounder - that appears in your 'side banner' fish of that size do seem to regularly show. And wasn't it in 1999, in an EFSA tournament, that a European angler managed to land a fish of over 338lbs on 30? A 10 to 1 Tuna on that tackle's got to be one of the ultimate big game challenges.

But for anyone wanting an inshore challenge those Roosterfish you mentioned have got to top the list.

Thanks once again, and please keep posting your reports.
Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Stan for that very comprehensive and entertaining report.

It's certainly going to tempt any waivers. Although some might view with some trepidation the very thought of those huge Yellowfin that show up off your coast!

Apart from that 'big one' - the 375 pounder - that appears in your 'side banner' fish of that size do seem to regularly show. And wasn't it in 1999, in an EFSA tournament, that a European angler managed to land a fish of over 338lbs on 30? A 10 to 1 Tuna on that tackle's got to be one of the ultimate big game challenges.

But for anyone wanting an inshore challenge those Roosterfish you mentioned have got to top the list.

Thanks once again, and please keep posting your reports.
Dave
Dave, the Rooster fish here can blow your mind... They usually come in during the rainy season. For some reason this year they've come in early and with a vengence.....

Thanks for your comments... I plan on contributing on a regular basis.....

Stan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fishing Report for Wk of May 20, 2007.. Master Baiter’s Sportfishing and Tackle
Written by Stan Gabruk

Puerto Vallarta this week could be described in a word, Tranquillo or Tranquil in English.

As is normal things are moving a little slower here in La Marina Vallarta with the mid season lull before it all breaks loose. Weather wise, it’s more like April than late May. The days are warm, but the mornings still have a chill factor making a cup of coffee a short lived friend. Weather patterns always follow the water temperatures and currents. This could be an early indicator of a more normal season, I believe it’s going to be off the hook this year, but the glass is always half full in the early season!

With the number of visitors to the Marina being below normal, charter companies for the most part are not leaving the dock. Many local boat owners have been hearing bad things about the fishing grounds and have decided not to sacrifice fuel for an exercise in futility. So goes the flow here in the Marina. Ah, but amigos, this perception couldn’t be farther from the truth. Although there have been some issues Fisherman have had to deal with.

Along with the low levels of people, the water at El Banco, Corbetena and closer in has been a nasty cocktail of Red Tide and Brown, dirty Water! The brown water seems to more favorable than the Red Tide so fish are being boated all over the place. That’s right, fish are being caught in this stuff!

In the brown water, just north of Punta Mita (set your heading at 310 from the point), and ten miles out you’ll discover Stripers. Not just a few either! Why they’re there, is anyone’s guess. Sails, Roosters, snappers are the primary gamers in the area, but keep your eyes open for Jack Cravells.

El Banco is still in neutral with not much action to speak of. Very few reports coming in from here. But the Bank is one of those places that can turn into THE hot spot in a hurry. Stay tuned.

Corbetena this week, again, was the place to be. Just about every species we we’re known for here are having a convention of sorts at the Rock! Wahoo have been sighted off the finger extensions, but no strikes. Capt. Steve on Sirena in one day this week boated 12 Yellowfin Tuna from 50 to 100 pounds, and an Amberjacks in the 60 lb. range. Not a bad day Steve! Captains from the Los Penas Marina have been coming in with Blue Marlin, Sailfish in the 9 ft range, Herds of Pargo, Toro’s, Jack Cravells, some Dorado, Bone fish, and more. What ever you’re after, live bait is still king. But trolling isn’t always the answer. With the dirty water, trolling is not affective. Drifting with open spools, Google eyes with the blue and white striped rig is producing results. But you can’t drag bait past them in this dirty water and expect to catch anything. But if you leave the bait swimming free, the fish will find it. Be patient, the Pargo are out there!

Closer in the Snappers are coming to the surface in a feeding frenzy on the sardines. Same story for Roosters and Mackerels. Lots of Roosters out in the Marrietta area right now as well, so don’t forget about this area!

At Master Baiters Sportfishing and Tackle, we pride ourselfselves on being the Number 1 Sportfishing Charter in mainland Mexico. We have the best equipped and fastest boats in Puerto Vallarta. Our goal is to provide you the fishing experience of a lifetime! Last year we boated more Marlin and Yellowfin Tuna over 300 pounds than we could keep track of.

We also have a wide selection of unique high quality Hats, T-Shirts, souvenirs and novelty items to surprise your friends and family back home with something truly unique as seen on Jay Leno, Conan and David Letterman! We’re also recommended in the 2007 Fodor’s Travel Guide for Puerto Vallarta (Pg. 156).
Our downtown location is at the entrance of the new Shopping Center “Small Vallarta” by McDonald’s (107 “31 de Octubre” street), Tel:222-4043. Or come to our Marina Vallarta store (Tel: 322-779-7571 or www.mbsportsfishing.com) located at the Light House between docks F and G. Come in and say hello to Stan, or Kenny. And remember, at Master Baiters “WE WON´T JERK YOU AROUND!”

Last Minute Update Amigos...., The Blacks came in at the exact time I was writing this article... The Black Marlin that is! YeHaaaa.... These weren't babies either, 350+ pounds, I guess that's about 175 Kilos... Yellowfin Tuna over 100 kilos are flying around like they were catapulted in mid-evel days.... Anything 100 kilos or larger is refered to as a Monster. Tuna can run well above three hundred pounds or 150 Kilos.... Figure for every 50 kilos, it's an hour fight in a chair. About 25 minutes per 50 kilos in a fighting harness.....

The only place I know of with Blue water at the moment is El Banco or The Bank.

One last thing, I'd love to post some of these pictures, but I can't figure out the system here. If some one could kinda guide me a little, I have some spectacular pictures I'm sure the Club would love to see....... If you all would like to become more familiar with the company, you can checkk out my web page (impressive) at: www.mbsportsfishing.com

Until next week Amigos, keep your beer cold and your lines tight....

Stan
www.mbsportsfishing.com

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hi Stan
Great report! And I’m sure everyone reading it can sense the buzz going round the port for the season ‘proper’ to start.

In terms of posting pictures there’re a couple of ways.

You can use one of the free hosting services like Photobucket – there’s an excellent tutorial on this thread - http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63449. Once added you just need to include the url on your post for it to link through.

Or for scanned images on your hard drive you can add them using the Manage Attachments button, just below the reply’s text box. The only issue here can be one of file size – there’re limits. But I’ve found you can re-size easily, to get in under the limit, using a piece of freeware like IrfanView. There’re masses of others though that you can find through the Internet Search Engines.

Any rate for others reading the thread, what are we talking about – Yellowfin and Roosterfish?

Here’s my biggest Yellowfin, an Atlantic fish from Ascension Island – although only 225lbs – a ‘midget’ compared to some of your ‘monsters’. That was only a 15 minute job on the 130 though, but with the drag ‘screwed up’. I’m only 160lbs ‘dripping wet’ and, once you realise it’s not a Blue, with 45lbs of drag you very quickly appreciate what the arms of the fighting chair are for when it runs!

And this is a Mexican Roosterfish from our Club’s web site - http://www.scbi.org.uk/pages/News_Aratw_CSAmerica_Mexico_Pacific_1.asp. Big fish!
Best wishes
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fishing Report for Week of May 27, 2007 Written By: Stan Gabruk
For Master Baiter’s Sportfishing and Tackle. (www.mbsportsfishing.com)

For those of you who read my weekly article, you may remember that at this time last year El Nino was raising its ugly head. We, or I should say I, was expecting great things for our fishing grounds. Water Temperatures were way up, tons of bait at the usual places, early signs of Marlin and Tuna. It looked like we could have a year that could break all kinds of records. Well, I was right to a degree. We had a record “Weird Season”. Big, big fish early in the “season” and extremely late in the season. In between was less than stellar.
That was then, this is of course now and I’m watching things very closely, observing as much as possible. Some promising signs this year are that the water temperatures are up, but still in the normal range for this time of year. I’m looking at this as a positive thing, again (glass is half full). There are some early indications of a strong season when you start seeing Yellowfin Tuna in the 200 lb. range already coming into our world class fishing grounds….
For the last couple of weeks now I’ve been saying that El Banco or The Bank was going to bust loose any day now, so be prepared. Well, it happened the next day, after I wrote the last report. That’s right folks, there are signs of life at El Banco again. Yellowfin Tuna Monsters are out there right now! Black, Blue and Striped Marlin as well. They’re now being boated daily, even with the dirty water still being an issue. That’s right folks, YF Tuna are being boated in dirty water. Strange but true. Now trolling skippies in this coffee colored water is low percentage strategy. But this past week drifting with an open spool is allowing the Yellowfin Monsters a greater opportunity to first see your bait. Trolling a skippie past a blind Yellowfin Monster is almost an impossible task. Now that’s if you’re in dirty water. There are areas of Blue Water here as well…. When that happens, trolling is your best bet with skippies.
Bait, the essential ingredient has been in short supply this past week. This is probably why we’re boating these finned fantasies in that dirty water. No “visible” food, then you’ll eat what’s in front of you I guess. But even with the water situation like it has been, the fish are still here. The exact reason is a mystery, so don’t think, just get your back side out there….
Corbetena has been hot as well, striped and Blue Marlin mostly. On the smaller side, but there. Sails as well.. Same story, dirty water, clear spots, drifting, you know the routine.
If you’re anywhere between Corbetena and El Banco, this is the place to be this week. But be sure you don’t pass any bait boils on the way out, you may get caught short. Also, most charter companies offer bait as part of the package, usually about ten Mullets or Google eyes, etc. In my opinion, you shouldn’t go out with less than forty baits. Now this could be a waste of money, I’ll tell you up front. You may find trolling is the secret, with casting, or drifting isn’t the best strategy for that day. A waste of money to be sure. But… what if you need those baits, and the fish are literally jumping out of the water and you’re caught short on bait!? I can’t think of anything more frustrating than a situation like this. To me, this is cheap insurance, especially if catching your dream Billfish could depend on twenty or thirty extra bucks? Don’t let this happen to you out there….
In shore fishing is fantastic in the Punta Mita area where there’s structure. Snappers, Jack Cravelles, Sierra Mackerels and a host of others.
Marrietta and El Morro are still teaming with Roosters, Jack Cravells, Torros, but no Dorado or Mahi Mahi to speak of. They seem to be somewhere else. The only Dorado reported this past week with the lower number of vacation Anglers is north of Punta Mita. But I haven’t heard much from this area, should be more news for the next report.
By the time you read this, we’ll be moving out of the Full Moon phase, bait is coming in, and the water should clear up. So my expectations are high for the coming weeks as we come into Fishing’s High Season.
For those of you who would like to be on my Monster Mailing List, I’ll put you on my Tuna Newsletter informing you of when the prime time for boating Monster Yellowfin Tuna is. It changes all the time, so don’t get caught short.
At Master Baiters Sportfishing and Tackle, we pride ourselfselves on being the Number 1 Sportfishing Charter in mainland Mexico. We have the best equipped and fastest boats in Puerto Vallarta. Our goal is to provide you the fishing experience of a lifetime! Last year we boated more Marlin and Yellowfin Tuna over 300 pounds than we could keep track of.

Come by our Marina Vallarta store (Tel:011-52-1- 322-779-7571 or www.mbsportsfishing.com) located at the Light House in Marina Vallarta, between docks F and G. Come in and say hello to Stan, or Kenny. And remember, at Master Baiters “WE WON´T JERK YOU AROUND!”

I'll post some pictures as soon as I set up a public site for them to connect to... stay tuned. I have some spectacular photos to share.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fishing Report for Week of September 8th, 2007. Master Baiter’s Sportfishing
Written by Stan Gabruk

It’s wide open here in Puerto Vallarta, the skies, the Fishing Grounds and of course the arms of our great city.
Open Skies, you bet, rain nightly has been blessing those of us who know what a great gift from the heavens this has been this whole season. To the vacationing Angler it may seem a little like a small hurricane some mornings. But no worries, squalls move and when the sun does come out, you may wish it was still raining. But either way, the year has been unseasonably cool.
Open Fishing Grounds like ours this week are once again showing the world why every year the fishing community at large cast a jealous eye our direction. With little wonder with what we’ve been hooking up with this week. Black Marlin, Monster Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado or Mahi Mahi, Cubera Snappers or Pargo in Spanish, and the long list goes on with no shortage of Gamefish.
Writing a fishing article this week is a No-Brainer! Why, because it really doesn’t matter what fish you want to target, it’s out there now! That makes it time again to play, pick your fish! The Rules are simple, you come into my shop, tell me the fish you wish to catch, I’ll match you up with the perfect boat, perfect captain and perfect (or almost) price and you too will boat a finned fantasy.
But seriously, Corbetena and El Banco have been fish factories as late. Big Black Marlin are being boated almost at will, Yellowfin Monsters are a daily occurrence. Sailfish are almost fighting the Marlin for your bait and if that’s not enough, the Mahi Mahi are “on tap”. My friends Ken, Rob and John from Chicago / Virginia were out on Terminal Blues the other day and for a hour and a half straight, it was one hook-up after another. They took my advice and got some extra bait on the way out and they’re glad they did. Forty baits keep the Mahi Mahi coming and it was cheap insurance for a wonderful day of fishing.
Yet again this week bait was a on again, off again affair. Some days it was darn hard to catch or “make” bait. Those days you do what you can and if Google eyes are all you got, then make sure you have enough. The days you could make bait (for the most part), the possibilities were wide open.
El Morro, Marietta Islands are all still Smoking Amigos! Large Dorado, Sailfish, Rooster Fish, Bonito, Needles, Torros and more have been hanging out on the Trash Line. Just toss a three inch silver diamond jig on the clean water side and get ready for the burn. You’ll pull in so many fish the pole will feel like it’s a hundred pounds at the end of the day. You know you’ve had fantasy day when you can’t quite get that beer to your lips…..
Off the point at Punta Mita it’s turned into The Mahi Mahi Hilton. Just two miles off the point, those looking for the Blue plate special weren’t disappointed in the least. Any day you can boat thirty, forty plus pounders, you had a day you’ll brag about for years to come.
Master Baiter’s is still cleaning up the Graffiti these local “Spray Can Terrorist” create. You can still come by the shop and donate a couple of bucks or time to help the cause. We all live here together and it’s a great way to become involved in our community.
For those of you who have been reading this article and still haven’t found your way to PV, it’s not too late. We can expect this sort of fishing well into December and early January. November holds the Pez Vella Tournament or in English: The Sailfish Tournament sponsored by Club de Pesca. The tournament happens the third week of November and it’s a definite happening. This year I’ve worked hard to bring the cost of the boats down a touch to insure Master Baiter’s has boats in the tournament. If you’re interested in participating this year, contact me at: [email protected] and we’ll hook you up.
That’s about it for now, if you could find your way to our fishing grounds this summer, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed with the fishing!

Until next week, don’t forget to kiss your fish!

Our downtown location is at the entrance of the new Shopping Center “Small Vallarta” by McDonald’s (107 “31 de Octubre” street), Tel: 222-4043. Or come to our Marina Vallarta store (Tel: 322-779-7571) located at the Light House. Facing the water, we’re located between docks F and G. Come in and say hello to Stan, or Kenny. And remember, at Master Baiters “WE WON´T JERK YOU AROUND!”

1 - 9 of 9 Posts