World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here as Kent seem to be able to organise matches very well, not only for the serious match anglers, like the fountain open, but also for the guy who just wants to have an enjoyable day out, like the WDC.

It's been suggested that we, Colchester SAC should run a charity match in Autumn 2015 and I'm just looking at ideas to make it attractive to everyone. It's very obvious, certainly in Essex that match attendances are down and when I've asked people I get the same answer that they don't want to fish if certain top match anglers are, as they feel they don't have a chance of winning anything.

We've already got one or two potential sponsors and I'm just putting the feelers out to see what people would like.

How much would you be happy to pay for entrance and what percentage would you be happy to see to go to the charity?

Would you prefer cash prizes, or a prize table?

How would you like it fished, total weight, measure and return or biggest fish?

Would you be likely to fish it if the country's top match anglers attended?

If you came would you be willing to donate a raffle prize?

How would you like the prizes/cash spread around?

If anyone has any suggestions please don't hesitate to post here, as all ideas are welcome.

·
Banned
2,360 Posts
I'm posting this here as Kent seem to be able to organise matches very well, not only for the serious match anglers, like the fountain open, but also for the guy who just wants to have an enjoyable day out, like the WDC.

It's been suggested that we, Colchester SAC should run a charity match in Autumn 2015 and I'm just looking at ideas to make it attractive to everyone. It's very obvious, certainly in Essex that match attendances are down and when I've asked people I get the same answer that they don't want to fish if certain top match anglers are, as they feel they don't have a chance of winning anything.

We've already got one or two potential sponsors and I'm just putting the feelers out to see what people would like.

How much would you be happy to pay for entrance and what percentage would you be happy to see to go to the charity?

If anyone has any suggestions please don't hesitate to post here, as all ideas are welcome.
ive fished matches down south and on the east coast big and small ,the best one ive fished has been the sheerness classic they do prizes down to 20th place sections are only 3places may be more sections prizes ,ive seen people who have turned up and gone away just because that person has got crab ansd whites and hes a top angler ,i know for a fact these top anglers spend time and effort to get these baits so i say good luck to them ,im not a top match angler i go to hone my skills if i see some one catching more fish next to me, when ive caught a fish if it needs measuring then i go to him and get my card signed thats when i look at what rig hes done and bait ,yes i would donate a prize ,measure and release do what the east coast anglers do points for the measurement ,yes cash prizes but go further down the line i hope this makes sense,another thing i would like to see more juniors fish these comps you dont see many fish any comps now

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
IMHO the first question I would ask would be where would you fish it in Essex. This has been discussed before on here as the Thames would be a flounder match and a logistical nightmare trying to fit 100 odd fishermen/women into one small area. The second area would be Clacton and Walton and then you have the problem of travel as again it has been discussed, why would a kent fisherman bother to travel all that way when they can get the same fish on their doorstep.
As for who do you want to fish with, if you think your that good then it doesnt really matter who,is fishing, if your going for the experience then the more top class fishermen the better as you can learn loads just by watching.
Im really not trying to be negative with this post, but the Essex venue has always been a problem when trying to attract Kent fishermen to come over the bridge, and to be honest I can't blame them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at Frinton and Walton beaches. I'm all for spreading the money around and I've organised 100 peg matches before and fished sea league and other big matches. It's easy to do, but as soon as it becomes a charity match there's always issues.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's very obvious, certainly in Essex that match attendances are down and when I've asked people I get the same answer that they don't want to fish if certain top match anglers are, as they feel they don't have a chance of winning anything.
Maybe true but i'd certainly like fish next a top angler to see what he/she does !

Yes i would to have a chance to see what they are doing a little bit of knowledge goes along way :wiggle:

Prize - a half hour/30 min chat with a top angler too gain a little knowledge or even a fishing session with them would be pretty cool & obviously a forum report would be nice on the occasion if such a dangling session did occur !

I would love a chance to chat to a top angler & gain some knowledge, being just a mere humble mortal in the angling world or even have the opportunity to fish with one... what a prize that would be :notworthy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe true but i'd certainly like fish next a top angler to see what he/she does !

Yes i would to have a chance to see what they are doing a little bit of knowledge goes along way :wiggle:

Prize - a half hour/30 min chat with a top angler too gain a little knowledge or even a fishing session with them would be pretty cool & obviously a forum report would be nice on the occasion if such a dangling session did occur !

I would love a chance to chat to a top angler & gain some knowledge, being just a mere humble mortal in the angling world or even have the opportunity to fish with one... what a prize that would be :notworthy
I like your idea. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
i dont fish these events simply cos i dont really have much luck fishing.

But it seems to me people have different views on the chosen charity so you could keep it open for the winner to decide!

I have only fished walton pier once when visiting in laws could you not try to book it for a private event. From memory it seems quite long and you can fish both sides (again from memory).

good luck

·
Read Only
2,618 Posts
Quite a tricky one this one. You cant please all the people all the time, I have fished opens and small comps and I personally would like to see the prizes spread out a bit more be it money or gifts. Regarding top match anglers competing I don't see a problem as long as we are all stipulated the same baits which put every body on a level pegging, having said that its not always the bait but doing the right thing at the right time. im a believer of catch measure and return as ive seen tons of dead fish dumped in the past and this is not good for the anti brigade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The few sea matches I've fished I have asked the organizer who is the best angler here ? and then fished next to them. £10-£15 for a 5 hour lesson, seems cheap to me.
Good luck with it whatever you decide.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Excellent idea Neil

My answers to the questions are, in order of appearance
1) Free, all of it
2)Both
3)All of the above
4)No
5)My pubic hair seems to be falling out and I'm quite willing to donate this to the prize table ( for hygeine purposes it could be sealed in a jar)
6) To me

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Think the prizes/raffle are the main draw for all participants so you would need to make it enticing for everyone. Obviously the likes of the WDC offer some major prizes but that doesn't distract from the fact that your doing something for charity (nobody minds delving deep into their pockets for such occasions)

It's a great idea and hopefully will attract a lot of anglers, the only thing possibly hindering this would be the fact that there are quite a few charity matches that go on throughout the year and maybe people will pick and choose which one's they enter on prizes or popularity of the event.

Wish you luck Neil and god willing, it'll be a goer

·
Registered
427 Posts
Good idea and good on you.

my answers are:

1 £10
2 cash
3 measure and release but only sizable fish
4 no problem,
5 as long as not too many prizes as people may have a long drive
6 less big prizes more smaller

As for attracting more people it could be lug and fish only, 2 hooks max too keep costs down and most pleasure anglers use two hook rigs, also people like to fish with there mates so maybe two or three person pegs.
Good luck with this and great for taking such a thing on as I could not do it.
Also the best matches/charity meets I have been too usually have somewhere to get a drink afterwards and has not been about the money, just bragging rights.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
To be honest, I don't think it matters to much if the top anglers fish or not, it is what you offer to the rest who make up the bulk of the match, you need to attract the anglers who are out to enjoy themselves and spend money for the charity, make it enjoyable.

·
Banned
2,360 Posts
To be honest, I don't think it matters to much if the top anglers fish or not, it is what you offer to the rest who make up the bulk of the match, you need to attract the anglers who are out to enjoy themselves and spend money for the charity, make it enjoyable.
steve there are people like you and me i would rather give my money to a well deserved cause ,H4H cancer if people want to win money then only fish these comps advertise charity matchs only im up for it they need our help lets get another roker ron flounder match on

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
steve there are people like you and me i would rather give my money to a well deserved cause ,H4H cancer if people want to win money then only fish these comps advertise charity matchs only im up for it they need our help lets get another roker ron flounder match on
I enjoyed that one red hot day and a blank lol

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
With the WDC, all the major prizes are on the raffle table and everyone gets a few free tickets....so anyone can win the big prize. Pools are spread right down the field...to 17th place this year and amounts are kept low to deter cheating.

The size limit is set so in reality anyone could win it. A serious match angler will always catch more fish than a non comp person, but they don't always catch the bigger fish and an average angler using size 1's and bigger baits will do just as well as the comp guy using size 4's and speed fishing. Clacton etc is a bloomin long way from the kent coast, Grays is sort of in the middle.

a little bit of both

measure and return...but most non comp people don't own a measure?

yes...always good to watch and learn.

yes

all to me please.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
For me, biggest fish comps are perfect.
Though i know there is a skill to it, i could not bring myself to weigh in whiting, pout, rockling, dogfish or flounders.
Also, i am not comfortable with comps for money, a trophy for the top 3 is a far better prize. Finally, if pegged, a minimun distance of 40yrds between anglers is needed.
Each to their own though i guess :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Agree with above. Biggest fish comps are a great leveler. The top anglers may catch 10x more but will they get the biggest?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts