World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps. Just found this forum, looks great. I'm coming down with the family next week. Staying at Mawgan Porth between Padstow and Newquay. Has anyone fished the beach at Mawgan Porth ? Is it any use? Any info on local marks would be much appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The beach should fish well, most of Newquay is great, I regulary go up that way, but never fished Mawgan before. If you are happy fishing in the night, stay on the beach, use lug worm and you should catch some bass for the barbi. Lots of rock marks around, pick a point near by, there should be mackerel, gars, pollack, around caught by spinning or float with a stip of Mackerel of sandeel. Possibly a Ray of bass on the fishing on the bottom with sandeel.

If you can get away with it, I would fish the beach at night, bass fishing rocks!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vaughan. I'll bring my plugging gear as well as the tides look like early morning and early evening. I'm desperate to bag a ray. Never caught one. Have had a bass of 6lb (holiday in Cork Ireland) but seem to miss when it comes to ray. I'll bring some Ammo sandeel and give it a go. Come to think of it I've never caught a Gar either. My plugging gear will manage a float so might try that from the rocks.

Steve

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Nice bass, I have not had one that big yet :( .

Yes it does fish quite well for Ray up that way, so fingers crossed for you. My mate caught a 6+1/2ib bass plugging (well actually spinning) from the rocks the other day, so would definately be worth a shot. If you have never had a gar, you are indeed a luck man :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
i was there last saturday while visiting the outlaws at a camp site , stood in the surf up to my knees spinning around the surfers when a 1 1/2 - 2lb bass swam slowly past about 4 foot away from me . still blanked ! :( :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts