World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I reckon the price will put most anglers off.
There is so much choice of good lures much cheaper - these Maxiflex lures would have to be very special to justify their cost.
Lures are 'disposible items' - can make an expensive day fishing some lures through rocks and kelp.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Saw these in a magazine and agree with the general consensus that they are massively overpriced - especially when you can have half a dozen quality shad lures made using essentially the same manufacturing techniques and materials for the price of just one of their lures.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all (you have confirmed what Ive been thinking)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I saw these a while ago and thought they looked good. They would be great for fishing over sand where you might not snag and loose them.Trouble I find is if they are made of rubber they dont have as long a life as hard bodied plugs.I use long thin rubber shad like fish similar to these but all the casting and slapping on the water can make them split after a while but my shads are £5.00 for 3 !!!!!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
"my shads are £5.00 for 3 !!!!!"

You need to shop arround !
the Calcutta shads sold thought this site or the Storm ones available through harris should worl out at half that price or less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read with interest the comments regarding the Maxi - Flex lures and their costs.

Unfortunately we are slightly biased in our statements - because we are the manufacturers, however, we tell it like it is and we have no reason to pass any information to you which is untrue or based on dreams.

My company produces goods which work - we manufacture UP to a specification, not DOWN to a price.

No matter what you produce there will always be someone who knows of something somewhere which is cheaper.

We spent two and a half years researching and testing Maxi Flex before introducing it to the maket.

The lures are specifically designed to catch fish, not maybe or could do OUR LURES CATCH FISH not fishermen.

This is one of the reasons we only have two colours. We could bang out Whites, Reds, Purples, Pinks etc etc all day long - but why.

Our lures are based on a specially treated clear rubber, using a brand new full length holographic film insert.

The new holographic film flashes all the colours of the spectrum (but naturally) so there is no need to fill your boxes with every coloured lure under the sun.

Under the two years catch trials, our Blue Mist and Green Mist colours consistantly out-performed, by a wide margin, all our other trial colours and that is why we selected just the two colours.

Our lures are catching very large quantities and types of fish wherever they are used from the Falkland Islands to Iceland , Norway , all round the UK and the Channel Islands etc etc.

Value for money - you have to make your own minds up - what we can tell you is that we have an ever increasing quantity of commercial rod and line operators (fishing for the fish market trade)who have switched to MAXI FLEX Sand Eel lures because of the results they are getting.

I am not talking about people buying one or two lures but 40 - 50 lures at a time .

Actual performance examples:-

Commercial out of South Wales - £850.00 of Bass on one flood tide.

Commercial out of South Coast - 750 kg of Pollack over 7 kilos in three weeks.

Private :- South Coast 43 Bass to 8lbs and 7 Cod to 16 lbs one trip

Private :- Jersey 26 Bass to 11 1/2 lbs a Gurnard, and a 6 3/4 lb Wrasse - one trip.

I could fill this page with referals, but as I said before you have to make your own mind up.

Value for money ?? Yes they are not the cheapest in the world and we are not ashamed of that fact but value for money - the commercial above with £850.00's worth of Bass lost five six inch Maxi Flex lures during that trip (say £25.00) . The private man in Jersy lost no lures.

If you are used to NOT catching fish then any lure is expensive, if however you fish and get results, then maybe if you look at it sensibly the lure is not so expensive.

These lures are designed and tested to perform and catch fish, not to attract unsuspecting lure buying fishermen.

As Managing Director of this company (and a fisherman for 55 years ) I have neither the desire or ambition or need to make a 'swift buck' out of anyone.

I design lures which catch fish. To do that job properly costs money

Best Regards and Good Hunting

Robert Patterson.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i have bought the tempest ones which are all but identical to these, not a sniff, i am not writing them off just yet, i have 5 of the buggers... but i dont think they are any better than a 50p eddystone

·
Registered
153 Posts
its always appreciated when a manufacturer/distributor comes and expands the subject (I wont say justify...)

I am interested how you were planning to fish these, from a boat or from the shore? the latter I am thinking large bubble float of bottom spun using a inline barrel lead?from a boat would you jig close to the bottom or troll them?

I have used interex before, i bought there rockhopper net and an excellent product it is too... There shipping charges need to be watched as small multiple purchases do not get immediate discount, and the initial cost for such a small item is certainly not cost at £5.00!

I seen a 'sidewinder' sandeel lure...similar to the maxi flex but it has to be said not exactly the kind of 'sandeels' that swim round my way, but they made it and can call it what they like...But if u like this style then the tempest or the sidewinder are a bit less expensive 4, 6 and 8" in green holo, blue holo, red, clear etc available via ebay and others (sidewinder) MRP £5.99 for 3 with £0.99 postage...And if it works for you then maxi flex might just catch you that big one

best fishes
Charlie

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read with interest the comments regarding the Maxi - Flex lures and their costs.

Unfortunately we are slightly biased in our statements - because we are the manufacturers, however, we tell it like it is and we have no reason to pass any information to you which is untrue or based on dreams.

My company produces goods which work - we manufacture UP to a specification, not DOWN to a price.

No matter what you produce there will always be someone who knows of something somewhere which is cheaper.

We spent two and a half years researching and testing Maxi Flex before introducing it to the maket.

The lures are specifically designed to catch fish, not maybe or could do OUR LURES CATCH FISH not fishermen.

This is one of the reasons we only have two colours. We could bang out Whites, Reds, Purples, Pinks etc etc all day long - but why.

Our lures are based on a specially treated clear rubber, using a brand new full length holographic film insert.

The new holographic film flashes all the colours of the spectrum (but naturally) so there is no need to fill your boxes with every coloured lure under the sun.

Under the two years catch trials, our Blue Mist and Green Mist colours consistantly out-performed, by a wide margin, all our other trial colours and that is why we selected just the two colours.

Our lures are catching very large quantities and types of fish wherever they are used from the Falkland Islands to Iceland , Norway , all round the UK and the Channel Islands etc etc.

Value for money - you have to make your own minds up - what we can tell you is that we have an ever increasing quantity of commercial rod and line operators (fishing for the fish market trade)who have switched to MAXI FLEX Sand Eel lures because of the results they are getting.

I am not talking about people buying one or two lures but 40 - 50 lures at a time .

Actual performance examples:-

Commercial out of South Wales - £850.00 of Bass on one flood tide.

Commercial out of South Coast - 750 kg of Pollack over 7 kilos in three weeks.

Private :- South Coast 43 Bass to 8lbs and 7 Cod to 16 lbs one trip

Private :- Jersey 26 Bass to 11 1/2 lbs a Gurnard, and a 6 3/4 lb Wrasse - one trip.

I could fill this page with referals, but as I said before you have to make your own mind up.

Value for money ?? Yes they are not the cheapest in the world and we are not ashamed of that fact but value for money - the commercial above with £850.00's worth of Bass lost five six inch Maxi Flex lures during that trip (say £25.00) . The private man in Jersy lost no lures.

If you are used to NOT catching fish then any lure is expensive, if however you fish and get results, then maybe if you look at it sensibly the lure is not so expensive.

These lures are designed and tested to perform and catch fish, not to attract unsuspecting lure buying fishermen.

As Managing Director of this company (and a fisherman for 55 years ) I have neither the desire or ambition or need to make a 'swift buck' out of anyone.

I design lures which catch fish. To do that job properly costs money

Best Regards and Good Hunting

Robert Patterson.
Thanks for that Rob (interesting to get a little insight)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice bit of marketing Rob! Shame all I have ever managed is pollock on them which would probably take an old sock if you fished it right! They just get ripped up so quickly, one 10oz fish tore the lure in half. At £3.50 a go you would expect them to last longer than a couple of fish.

I can buy a packet of 10 zoom flukes or sluggos for around £1.50 and a packet of offset hooks for £2 and actually catch bass, plus one packet of sluggos lasts me a season if you look after them.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
i have bought the tempest ones which are all but identical to these, not a sniff, i am not writing them off just yet, i have 5 of the buggers... but i dont think they are any better than a 50p eddystone
Don`t write them off, they are great.
I use them off my boat and had loads of Bass,Pollack and cod on them.

One of the many taken on the Tempest Sidewinders..

Alan

·
Registered
202 Posts
Robert ( Interex)
As an RSA for about as many years as you and more recently as a commercial rod and line angler off South Devon I was impressed when I first saw your lures. However my partner happened to source Tempest lures locally - I believe they may be cheaper than your Maxi-Flex. We have been using them for the summer with outstanding results for bass/pollack/cod. We find their blue and green lures work well - their best for us though has been their white! On the downside these lures break easily once they have been ripped in the fishes mouth. So much so that we have taken to wrapping them in cable ties! My question to you is are your lures stronger and more long lasting than the Tempest Sidewinder ones? If so we may consider changing. To any doubters - both these lures will fish well!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
So, assuming I actually want lures of three sizes rather than the one size that suites my local conditions and rod casting weight, I can buy 3 cards of Maxiflex lures for £31.80 and postage will cost me another fiver bringing the bill to £36.80

or

I can find the first e-bayer on a Google search and find 1 card of 3 6" tempest lures + 2 cards of 2 8" tempests + 1 cards of 4" tempests and not only do I get 2 more lures but the total bill comes to just £23.99 with no P&P to pay.

As a cost concious angler, looking to try this style of lures for the first time, it's a no brainer. Tempest wins every time.

As a convert, looking to stock up on a successfull lure, why would I pay 65% over the odds ?

Again, as a convert looking to stock up, why would I buy a card of 3 lures when only one size on that card actually suits my local conditions ?

Edit: Get the price, the marketing and the material (something tough like jelltext) right and these lures would be a winner accross Europe and in the US where the striper market is huge.
get it wrong and it'll be just another British angling invention that only makes money for the Chinese factory that sells copies to the world.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts