World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

has anybody got any views on this rod looking to buy the 20-50lb range thanks GB:g: :g: :wallbash: :crazy: :confused:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Which maximus boat rod are you refering to, 20 to50lb i presume you are talking about the solid carbon range, which length, the original 6ft or the new 8ft?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
One of the Poole skippers was given a batch to trial and absolutely raved about the 12lb 6ft version ... said it was great with braid and although he'd tried very hard using ray and conger, the thing refused to break. I tried it and although the action felt a bit soft, but he was right: you could tie it in a knot and it still wouldn't snap.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Horrible, horrible things question came up before and I likened playing a fish on it to trying to push a pea off a plate using a piece of cooked spaghetti. Had one for a couple of months - sold it (at a whopping great loss):yucky:

T

·
0 Posts
You will love it or hate it.

Paid4's description is perfect.

The fixtures and fittings are absolute pants whichever way you look at it, but some do love the VERY soft action which will certainly be very forgiving for a novice angler with no natural ability (not saying that is you! Just that is what the rod is suited to)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I do own a few of the Solid C range a 6'' 10-30g, the 10-20 6' and the 20-40 8'' so am qualified to give an honest answer. I like the rods for light pollack fishing and they are fun, they bend right through making fish feel like they are fighting back more. However recently i have gone off the rods after most of the reel seat scews have broken and the rings and whippings are corroding. As Tom says the fittings are poor, and when you condier that these rods carry an RRP of £99.99 they are not good value for money. For £59.99 which is the same price as the Solid C sells for i would suggest you would be much better buying either a Shimano beastmaster interline 150g or put in a tenner more and get the 7'6'' Shimano Speedmaster 6-12. I own the 20-30 speedmaster and it is a quality rod, nice lightweight, slim yet powerfull blank with a comfortable handle and a trigger grip. IMHO that is money better spent as after a while you will 'fall out of love' with your Solid C like i have with mine.

T

·
0 Posts
Up until last week, my favourite rods were my Shimano Beastmaster Interlines.
I own the 100, 150 and 200 versions.
All are fantastic value and have a beautiful action due to having no rings. Super lightweight to hold and plenty of bend with the 200 taking some remarkably large Conger (towards the upper end of double figures and I don't mean teens) and the 100 handling anything a wreck fished with a flying collar could throw up.
In addition I had a year long love affair with my Shimano Speedmaster 6-12 which was also a superb rod for BIG Bass, wrecking and Turbot etc.

Both the above Shimano's are not a million miles apart on price from the Fladen, but they are more than a million miles apart from the Fladen on quality.

My current new favourite is my lovely new 6lb class (Based ont he Conoflex Trilogy, but with tweaks) from Stan M at Alba. As to how it fishes I can't yet say, but it sure does look lovely.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Have to say i like the Shimano Speedmaster 2030 a lot. They are very slim and light, and the trigger grip makes them comfortable to use. I like it so much infact that i think i might buy the 6-12lb class 7'6'' when i can afford it. With my Tekota 500lc i think it will be a great combo for pollacking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts