World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some folk are not going to be happy about this thread especially the guys and tackle shops and bait diggers who I have the utmost respect for but since this terrible virus hit our country boats have been tied up and anglers are very scarce on our beaches this has hit thousands of folk who make a living from fishing be it trawling or shore and boat owners and they have my deepest sympathies but this may be in some way a blessing in disguise because the trawler boys cant go out as usual how has this affected fish stocks ? I can only think that this 2 month ban will increase the fish stocks when we are allowed to go back to our beaches and piers will there be more fish ? As I said I really do feel for the people who make a living from catching fish commercialy and the tackle shops and bait diggers who have suffered so badly but since fishing had been nearly banned for some time has this given the fish stocks which we all know have been going down hill fast for the last 15-20 years I hope that this even small period will help them recover for a while It may be a silver lining for some communitys there may be more fish back in our waters we will have to see over the comming months if this is true there sre some species that breed in the spring months such as plaice and bads that have been given a break from bieng caught in nets and to a lesser expence on rod and line I hope folk dont take offence by my comments but I hope you can see where Im coming from when the boats are allowed back out will there be more fish for them and it will be interesting to see the shore caught numbers and see if they rise in the coming months Boat owners and all folk employmed in the fishing industry I hope will see a light at the end of the tunnel lets see what happens and please dont be offended by this thread I honestly do have so much sympathy for you and hope you will get through this terrible time all the best to you all ken

·
Registered
923 Posts
I know some folk are not going to be happy about this thread especially the guys and tackle shops and bait diggers who I have the utmost respect for but since this terrible virus hit our country boats have been tied up and anglers are very scarce on our beaches this has hit thousands of folk who make a living from fishing be it trawling or shore and boat owners and they have my deepest sympathies but this may be in some way a blessing in disguise because the trawler boys cant go out as usual how has this affected fish stocks ? I can only think that this 2 month ban will increase the fish stocks when we are allowed to go back to our beaches and piers will there be more fish ? As I said I really do feel for the people who make a living from catching fish commercialy and the tackle shops and bait diggers who have suffered so badly but since fishing had been nearly banned for some time has this given the fish stocks which we all know have been going down hill fast for the last 15-20 years I hope that this even small period will help them recover for a while It may be a silver lining for some communitys there may be more fish back in our waters we will have to see over the comming months if this is true there sre some species that breed in the spring months such as plaice and bads that have been given a break from bieng caught in nets and to a lesser expence on rod and line I hope folk dont take offence by my comments but I hope you can see where Im coming from when the boats are allowed back out will there be more fish for them and it will be interesting to see the shore caught numbers and see if they rise in the coming months Boat owners and all folk employmed in the fishing industry I hope will see a light at the end of the tunnel lets see what happens and please dont be offended by this thread I honestly do have so much sympathy for you and hope you will get through this terrible time all the best to you all ken
I don't think we are going to see any difference at all. It has been said for years that shore angling only has a tiny impact on fish stocks. It is the trawlers, and especially factory ships hauling in hundreds of tonnes per day, that have the impact. I can only really speak for my area, and if you take a look at MarineTraffic.com, there are literally hundreds of boats off the South West coast still fishing this morning, from the UK, France, Ireland, and a few lurking from Spain. Even during the lockdown, we have had up to 14 Belgian boats fishing off the North Cornwall coast for our Sole - I've just looked and there are 3 there this morning. I don't know what they are all catching, and where the catch is going, but there are still a large amount of commercial boats out there working for us to see any real difference in stocks. The blasted factory ships are still lurking out there too, but the crafty rascals have turned their AIS transceivers off so that they can't be easily identified.

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
;) Trawlers and netters have still been out, foreign boats have taken advantage of the lack of patrols so there may be a few more fish around due to the lack of angling but I don't think it will make a difference. :(

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think we are going to see any difference at all. It has been said for years that shore angling only has a tiny impact on fish stocks. It is the trawlers, and especially factory ships hauling in hundreds of tonnes per day, that have the impact. I can only really speak for my area, and if you take a look at MarineTraffic.com, there are literally hundreds of boats off the South West coast still fishing this morning, from the UK, France, Ireland, and a few lurking from Spain. Even during the lockdown, we have had up to 14 Belgian boats fishing off the North Cornwall coast for our Sole - I've just looked and there are 3 there this morning. I don't know what they are all catching, and where the catch is going, but there are still a large amount of commercial boats out there working for us to see any real difference in stocks. The blasted factory ships are still lurking out there too, but the crafty rascals have turned their AIS transceivers off so that they can't be easily identified.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must admit that I did not know that boats from here were still going out I was only going on what I saw on BBC news with boats in Cornwall tied up and not allowed out its a crying shame that these massive boats take so many fish They are only supposed to catch so many of one spieces but the nets dont discriminate When you see them dumping tons of dead fish overboard because they have caught their quotas its criminal thanks for the reply best wishes. Ken p.s lets just pray that they leave some for us !!!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I must admit that I did not know that boats from here were still going out I was only going on what I saw on BBC news with boats in Cornwall tied up and not allowed out its a crying shame that these massive boats take so many fish They are only supposed to catch so many of one spieces but the nets dont discriminate When you see them dumping tons of dead fish overboard because they have caught their quotas its criminal thanks for the reply best wishes. Ken p.s lets just pray that they leave some for us !!!!
If you have access to a PC or tablet, have a 'trawl' around Marine Traffic. They also do an app for smartphones, but unfortunately, the app stopped being free a few years ago. Stay safe & well!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mate I will try and see if I can find that Im not very good at all this tech stuff but will ask a mate of mine to find it for me thanks for the comment will do my best in these bad times you do the same yourself best wishes and lets hope there are just a few more fish sbout but im starting to think thats just wishful thinking !!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After reading what a couple of other guys have said Im starting to think that unfortunately my hope of more fish is just a pipe dream Dont think that anything will stop the complete rape of the seas will carry on until there is nothing left !!!! Best wishes ken

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These boats that are turning off there identifying numbers should surely be commiting a criminal act I know our fishery boats have been cut back over the last few years I never thought I would hear myself say this because I had do much hatred for that woman but when Maggie Thatcher was in charge she made some really good things for our fishing industry in Europe She did do one thing ad that was stick up for Great Br alright she did many bad things for some of the less fortunate but stick up gor ux around thd World she was strong on some things I know Im going to get s lot of stick for this but its true when it came to sticking up for us p.s just waiting for the back lash now !!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am not a fan of the CFP but i realise EU or not that we need catch restrictions in place to sustain fish numbers.
Bass have been effected all over the UK.
The fact the trawlers have been out and the shore fishermen haven't proves that our fishing does not effect the numbers of fish.
Boats cant get greedy and catch what they want and still sustain a healthy environment

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a Bass fisherman I only fish for sport and never take any Bass home.
A photo and the joy of landing a beautiful wild fish is enough for me.
The countless number of times I get asked by holiday folk mainly from Liverpool or Manchester if I've caught anything?
Always reply no nothing today.
The thought of them later catching and taking any sized bass they manage to catch home repulses me.
They can decimate what they like in their own areas but don't ever expect a Welshman give up their own sport secrets.

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
:):) I would generally put most or all of my bass back as I don't rate them that highly for eating but now I have a bag limit I take it as I don't want to waste it or put MY fish back for the CF to take, there's always a neighbour that'll take it, even if it's just "for the cat".;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
If we ever get our waters back we could do with five years block on commercial boats inside the 12 mile limit to allow the grounds to replenish, fish were plentiful on this east coast till it had the guts trawled out of it by French/Spanish/Dutch trawlers and I doubt there was any regulation done on those unlike the punitive measures against our own fleet which disappeared from the late seventies on, the last decent fish I had on this N.E. coast was around 87, had plenty since but few broke the 2lb mark and this area used to be teaming with good cod.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Having been lucky enough to have finished the waters around this country for the best part of sixty years and more from boats and shore .I have noticed a dramatic decline in fish over the last twenty years..
Even down to the humble mackerel that used to be abundant in our waters..
Gone are the days when you stepped aboard a boat without baits ..because the skipper said that we will catch enough mackerel for a days fishing.??
I see a lot of reports of people who have been lucky enough to land a fish or two .best of luck to them all.
But it does not mean that the millions of other anglers
Around the country are going to do the same..
The last time I caught a decent cod ..my mates who I have fished with for years all concluded that it must have been lost .which in hindsight I have to agree with them..whether it's down to over fishing by trawlers .Or down to climate change ? The jury is still out on that one. All I can say it's a very expensive way of washing bait at the moment..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts