World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a strange litttle request to save a little money!

Has anyone a foolproof way of measuring line when loading fixed spool reels?
I'm going to use small reels with light tackle and half filling the spools using some old-style braid as backing before splitting a 150 metre spool of nice new superdooper, expensive, stuff between two spools. (See it's a lie about the Scots being mean, it starts in Anglesey!)

The reels are for float and feeder rods where I'm fishing close in and don't need to cast any real distance. (75mts + backing should be ample) Obviously if that magic day happens and a massive fish takes I'll still have sufficient 'fighting' line (there's a laugh!!!) The last lot were done 'traditionally' (guesswork!!) but I thought that i'd ask this time!

The knots are also sorted but when I've carried out this process before it was on my mag Elite and I just loaded backing plus more XDS than I can cast and I'd bought a 300yd spool anyway! Height of line on the spool was not as important on the multiplyer as it will be on the fixed spool so I'd like a method with more 'maths' than estimating (My wife will work out the numbers as she's always done!!) Short of pulling it off the spool in a field or measuring the total depth on the braid spool, with a ruler, and spooling on half of it, I can't think of another way.

This is the first problem i've had with braid by the way. When you were filling spools with mono you just wound until full and then cut it off - Mono is so cheap in comparison with braid!!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I used to run a factory making hoses. We used to measure the length of reels of hose by passing it over a wheel with a circumference of 1 metre and count the number of turns of the wheel. 20 turns = 20 metres and so on.

Maybe you could adapt this method?

G

·
Swellyman "tightness" starts a bit lower down than Anglesey,:eek: I had an uncle from near Oswestry who was tighter than the proverbial ducks!:D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
There is a way Swelley but it is a liitle time consuming and requires you having a spare spool for the reel you are loading.
Load the first spool with the full 150yds and count the turns of the handle.
Then load exactly half onto the spare spool.
Top that that up with backing to the lip of the reel.
Now comes the pain in the bum.
Hand wrap the remaining 75 yds of braid onto the spool you bought it on.
Transfer the full spool onto your now empty spare spool and it will be right up to the lip.
Repeat the process using the spare spool and the one the line came on.
It does require a lot of hand spooling(mind your fingers on the braid).
Sorry if it sounds complicated but i cant think of a better way to explain without actually talking to you.
PM me if you want it clarifying bud.
All the best,
Terry F.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Measure the min circumference of the spool, measure the max circumperence. Use a measurement 2/3 of the way to the large circumference. You now have a length for 1 rev of the bail arm. Count the revs of the bail arm per full rev of the handle, multiply this to give you an average length of line per turn of the handle. divie the total length of line by this measurement to give you a number of turns to load the whole spool, half it and you have the number of turns for half of the line.

Using the same process you could use C + Pi X D where C is the circumference you need for the above calculation. D is the diameter of the spool aproximately 2/3 full and Pi is the constant 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944.....
You could use 3.142 if you are not too bothered about accuracy

Or.

Just buy a another spool and use what is left for snoods. :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a response! Cheers lads! Seems like a mixture of practical and theoretical maths - just like we used to teach at school. However as I went to school BEFORE the onset of this modern 'sensible' problem solving, I finished up being dis-calculic (number 'blindness' - figures often seem meaningless!) So methinks i'll be using a mixture of both types of solution! Oh for the days when line came on transparent spools, so you could see what you had!

I also thought about using on of the boat reels with the built in counter, but havn't got one! I did hear about a 'portable' line counter though?!?

I showed my wife the various responses and her response was to say, "Seems like you'll use an incredible amount of brain power to do not very much! Why don't you just buy another spool!!" Picked the right girl there didn't I and that was over 40 years ago. Mind you I only paid £10 for the line, didn't I lads!

NOW THAT IS A RESULT!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts