World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi id like to have a go at catching mullet from my kayak .do you float fish for them or have the bait just off the bottom on a paternosta also any suitable launching sites id be gratefull for any info :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Hi id like to have a go at catching mullet from my kayak .do you float fish for them or have the bait just off the bottom on a paternosta also any suitable launching sites id be gratefull for any info :thumbs:
Hi mate im no expert on mullet fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,would the yak not spook em? shadows,,,,,,,,, niose,,,,,,,,,,,,very finicky fish

G

·
personally i dont think they are a fish that get caught from a boat. they stick to the shore i think. your betterof at a harbour, river or sheltered part of the coast. hope this info is accurate,

will93

·
Registered
272 Posts
you can launch from gillingham marina for free then head up towards sun pier and rochester bridge..i was doing some work at chatham maritime last week and you could see them schooling up around the pontoon legs when the ebb started and then running along the walls of the dockyard.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Hi lozz, Welcome to the site. From the thread title I had visions of someone sitting on a great big furry cow trying to catch mullet, quite freaked me out :fishing:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
For some general information on mullet fishing see:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-Articles/mullet_faq_one.html

From Gillingham pier, up-river to past Rochester, there's what look like ideal places to try for mullet (around pilings for piers etc), that could only ever be tackled by boat, and where bread-bags could be left out without fear of interference from feral kids. I envy you your yak!

You can fish for mullet off the top, near the top, or nailed to the bottom, it's all about matching the right tactics, on the right day, at the particular location and state of tide, cloud-cover etc.

Sorry, no easy answers to the questions you have asked, other than 'it depends'!

But you'll have a lot of fun (and frustration) finding out the answers, and a real sense of achievement as you fit the pieces of the jig-saw together, and find a mullet pulling the rod tip down into the water :)

There's launching at Sharp's Green, Coppermill Lane, Gillingham Pier and Gillingham Strand and plenty more where you can launch of the beach if you have a trolley.

Large shoals of thin-lips can be found upriver right up to the sluice at Allingtion, so it might be fun to try for them launching at (say) Aylsford, though they can be there in numbers one day, then not seen again for weeks.

·
Mullet Meister???
6,756 Posts
Id say a yak would be a bonus aswell, as i know places you wouldnt be able to fish unless you was in one of them. Doubt you would be spooking them that much, as long as your not making to much movement, splashing around etc.

And have a read of that link leon posted, is a good read, really informative :thumbs:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For some general information on mullet fishing see:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-Articles/mullet_faq_one.html

From Gillingham pier, up-river to past Rochester, there's what look like ideal places to try for mullet (around pilings for piers etc), that could only ever be tackled by boat, and where bread-bags could be left out without fear of interference from feral kids. I envy you your yak!

You can fish for mullet off the top, near the top, or nailed to the bottom, it's all about matching the right tactics, on the right day, at the particular location and state of tide, cloud-cover etc.

Sorry, no easy answers to the questions you have asked, other than 'it depends'!

But you'll have a lot of fun (and frustration) finding out the answers, and a real sense of achievement as you fit the pieces of the jig-saw together, and find a mullet pulling the rod tip down into the water :)

There's launching at Sharp's Green, Coppermill Lane, Gillingham Pier and Gillingham Strand and plenty more where you can launch of the beach if you have a trolley.

Large shoals of thin-lips can be found upriver right up to the sluice at Allingtion, so it might be fun to try for them launching at (say) Aylsford, though they can be there in numbers one day, then not seen again for weeks.
thanks for the info ive had a mullet on a fly from the yak before and also one on float fished bread ive heard that a small meps spinner with rag is a good method for the thin lips do they have a prefferance for a perticular colour

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
thanks for the info ive had a mullet on a fly from the yak before and also one on float fished bread ive heard that a small meps spinner with rag is a good method for the thin lips do they have a prefferance for a perticular colour
AH ,ILL HAVE TO SNEAK UP ON A FEW, ON ME DINGHY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OUT BOARD OFF OF COURSE LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts