World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't keep quiet with this announcement!
On june 15th S.W.S.F.C. is to discuss the raising of the MLS for bass to 40cm for RSA :yahoo: but for the commercial sector only to 37.5cm:nonono:
Introducing a bag limit on bass, on all boats within the 6 mile limit:yahoo: but not to apply to licenced commercial boats:nonono:
One gill netter will take more bass in one day than all the boats in Swansea marina take in a season!
Is this a SERIOUS conservation measure, or is Ben Bradshaw taking some serious p**s here?
A very blueskip:nonono:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
:clap3: evening vic,nice to see you back m8,like you say ,is it a step in the right direction:g: maybe,but only if youre a rsa.not a lot of point really if the commercials and netters carry on the same:g:
:giveup: strange one.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Couldn't keep quiet with this announcement!
On june 15th S.W.S.F.C. is to discuss the raising of the MLS for bass to 40cm for RSA :yahoo: but for the commercial sector only to 37.5cm:nonono:
Introducing a bag limit on bass, on all boats within the 6 mile limit:yahoo: but not to apply to licenced commercial boats:nonono:
One gill netter will take more bass in one day than all the boats in Swansea marina take in a season!
Is this a SERIOUS conservation measure, or is Ben Bradshaw taking some serious p**s here?
A very blueskip:nonono:
Hi buddy good to see you are still keeping your finger on the pulse .
I may have been under a misapprehension here could you give me a pointer ? I have always used Welsh fed comp sizes as a guide as to what should be returned cos they are generally greater than commercial size limits but I thought that the only legally enforceable sizes were the commercial sizes I have never heard of legal RSA sizes .
I would have thought that would open up a legal minefield in that if you were found with a Bass for example of 39 cms you could claim that you was selling it and then it would be in size!!!??
I am probably totally wrong (not for the first time according to the missus) and it is really hyperthetical cos when I am pleasure fishing I tend to return almost everything regardless of size.
Tightlines buddy (and keep punching some are bound to land)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Very interesting point Yatoes. A fish caught on rod and line from the shore can be sold legally. Would this proposal only apply to boat anglers ?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Yatoes, the answer to your question is that if this proposed legislation comes into operation, & you have a 39cm bass in your possession, & you are not a licenced fisherman, then you are committing an offence.
The introduction of a MLS for RSAs is not that new or novel, most Angling Associations have had a minimum size on most species for years, for events fished under their rules, most of them are well in excess of the legal minimum size.
Thats fine by me, like most I impose a minimum size on myself on all species, but its a voluntary action, whether anglers are going to stand by & have one rule for them, & another for commercial fishermen, imposed on them is another thing.:nonono:
Despite the howls of protest that will inevitably come from the "south coast fifth column", most anglers consider their biggest problem, to be the effects of commercial fishing on inshore fish stocks. Putting bag limits on private boats, & different MLS on RSAs compared to commercials is asking for the s**t to hit the fan.:g:
As a conservation measure it will make a difference, anything that controls the number of bass landed is bound to be a positive conservation measure, however by having two sets of legally enforcable rules will cause greater division, & it will look as if the commercial sector is giving us a "one fingered salute"! Which is what they always have done unofficially, now they will have ministerial blessing to do it!:nonono:
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChrisP the answer to your question is at the moment yes it will only apply to boats, but there is a proviso in the legislation to be discussed, to introduce both the bag limit, & the increased MLS size to shore anglers & shore netters at some point in the future.
I dont know if this is only a proposal by the S.W.S.F.C. or whether it is part of the greater Bradshaw thinking, that is going to be introduced nationally.
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rediculous !
Bag limits? or MLS? I dont mind either, If I was to be limited to 3-4 bass in a day I would be quite happy with that, & if the MLS went up to 45cm I would be quite happy with that also.
What seems ludicrous is that the bag limit will only apply to boat anglers initially, & not shore anglers or shore netters, & that there is no talk of any restriction on the commercial effort?
Furthermore the SWSFC Commercial/Recreational Group considered a byelaw review in January, to introduce a MLS 37.5cm in net fisheries & 40cm "elsewhere" (thats you & me).
Now seeing as most anglers consider that the biggest threat to inshore fish stocks is commercial fishing, I think most anglers will consider that both these proposed byelaws, are as close to having been "shafted", as they have ever been.
I am a huge fan of conservation, but I hate having the p**s taken out of me, & from the way I see these proposed byelaws, thats what's happening, supposedly in the name of conservation, can anybody see it differently?:giveup:
blueskip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts