World Sea Fishing Forums banner

menai straits

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  paul brickie 06 
#1 ·
As a shore fisherman with a bad gut for the boat, I have been given the chance of going out in the menai straits.(I've been told there are no waves).
The skipper ( a pleasure cruiser) has never been fishing before, so I want to show at least how to catch something, thats before i,ll probably throw up.
Where do we go,What do we use, we are going from ronalds slip.
p.s. BASS would be nice:) :boat: :fishing1:

#2 ·
Live sandeel for bait, 1/0 wydex hook on a portland rig with 1 or 2 ounces of weight and drift from Abermenai point/ Belan to 200 yards past mussel bank ( set your drift to go towards the shallows of South Bank) or 200 yards either side of No 10 buoy should find you a few.

G
#4 ·
i've fished out there before and caught bass on peeler crab.we used the same place to launch as your using too!whilst we were up there some of the other blokes were using live eels and they done a lot better than we did....dave.

#5 ·
Hi dave, as you go out from Ronnies and pass through the gap in front of fort bellam, try a few drifts through the sound if you have sand eels, if not I used to pass the sandbanks on your left(port) side as you are going out and tuck in behind the last bank, good spot for bass, On your right side is a mussel bank marker bouy try just on the newburough side of the bank with peeler,or sand eel. you can pick crab off the beach all the way from c/van to ronnies.

G
#6 ·
thanks for the advice mate.me and a few freinds are staying up near cearnarfon next week for a week's fishing.we should be alright for sandeel's this time and the guy we are staying with know's his stuff too.....dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.