World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon to give the boat its first run out this year.About a 5 mile run to the mark engine ran fine started it up about 2 hrs later to come back all ok until about 5 minutes into the run home when it sudenly lost power and we slowed to about 6 knots , as the tanks i was using was nearly empty I put it down to that and changed of to the spare , restared engine but it was still the same .As you opened the throttle everthing was normal until you got to half way then the power just wasn't there and and started to die away.Everything else tickover starting etc was fine and it ran without a hicup for the hour it took us to get back at 5 knots. I think its a blocked fuel line but would appreciate any suggestions.Also the first tank of fuel had been standing on the boat for a few months but the second was fresh today, stripped the carbs down on this engine at the begining of last season ,they have very fine strainers on them so i cant see much getting past them.

C

·
0 Posts
I cant tell you what is what is wrong with it but it sounds like it has gone into 'limp' mode which gets you home without further damaging the engine. You may need to get it plugged into a diagnostic machine to find the fault and once sorted the limp mode will reset.

C

·
0 Posts
Sorry I was looking at the boat in the avatar and assumed it was newer. It may still have the limp mode facility but somebody like ChrisP would have a better idea.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon to give the boat its first run out this year.About a 5 mile run to the mark engine ran fine started it up about 2 hrs later to come back all ok until about 5 minutes into the run home when it sudenly lost power and we slowed to about 6 knots , as the tanks i was using was nearly empty I put it down to that and changed of to the spare , restared engine but it was still the same .As you opened the throttle everthing was normal until you got to half way then the power just wasn't there and and started to die away.Everything else tickover starting etc was fine and it ran without a hicup for the hour it took us to get back at 5 knots. I think its a blocked fuel line but would appreciate any suggestions.Also the first tank of fuel had been standing on the boat for a few months but the second was fresh today, stripped the carbs down on this engine at the begining of last season ,they have very fine strainers on them so i cant see much getting past them.
Hi Check the filter. Clean or change it. Then try it. OK? If not check the carb jets are not blocked with crud. Dump the fuel and clean out your tank and check the fuel lines and put new fuel in. Fit a new plug or plugs.
You may want to do all of this anyway.
If that doesn't sort it you need to look elsewhere for your problem.

Checkout ChrisPs sticky service thread for more info. First one on the boats maintainance posts.
Dave.

·
Banned
132 Posts
OK i used to have a blue band 50 and still have a 650 (blue-band 65hp). the problem sounds like water under the floats in the carbs. what you need to do is find the brass screws on the carbs and 1 at a time slacken them of and then tilt the engine up to let the water run out. put some tissue against then to catch any thing that comes out. do this one at time just in case the nut and the spring pops out.

now before you start up a gain you really need to fit a separator in the fuel line . i like the older engines as you can get your hands in them and play. also just to let you know the blue bands are rated at the crank for HP and not at the prop. this means you can take about 10% of the HP at the prop..

hope this helps

chazz

·
Banned
820 Posts
OK i used to have a blue band 50 and still have a 650 (blue-band 65hp). the problem sounds like water under the floats in the carbs. what you need to do is find the brass screws on the carbs and 1 at a time slacken them of and then tilt the engine up to let the water run out. put some tissue against then to catch any thing that comes out. do this one at time just in case the nut and the spring pops out.

now before you start up a gain you really need to fit a separator in the fuel line . i like the older engines as you can get your hands in them and play. also just to let you know the blue bands are rated at the crank for HP and not at the prop. this means you can take about 10% of the HP at the prop..

hope this helps

chazz
Hi If he has water in the floats? It's coming from somewhere and best then to clean the tank out and the lines and filter too.:)
Dave.

·
Banned
132 Posts
if the tan k is left over winter half full it will breath and draw in condensation .then as you use it it get in to the carbs and under the floats the petrol flows over the top of the water till the float if fully closed and then it thinks there is to much petrol

as the filters are there to take out crud it is unlikely that filters are blocked . as for water water in the tank this can come from the pumps at the filling station / supermarkets. look on eBay for a water / fuel separator that fits in line. this would save you loads of hassle..

i fitted one and i Carnot believe how much water it gets in 3 or 4 tanks petrol.. try the carbs first and make shore that the problem.

chazz

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I was looking at the boat in the avatar and assumed it was newer. It may still have the limp mode facility but somebody like ChrisP would have a better idea.
Yep bought a brand new boat as I wanted something that looked tidy (as I keep it at the inlaws), but that rather reduced my engine budget although I have had a full season without any trouble (after I rebuilt the carbs and fitted a new exhaust cover) so haven't done bad for £200 off fleebay just converted it to electric start (flywheel £20,starter motor £18,solenoid £10 and start button £10 all ebay) for this season as pulling it was a bit of a spectator sport. I think water could definatley be a suspect as that 25l fuel tank spent 5 months on the boat over the winter ,should have thought of that really before I used it but my jetski would sit for 9 months sometimes and i never had a problem with that, although that was keep inside.

·
Banned
820 Posts
if the tan k is left over winter half full it will breath and draw in condensation .then as you use it it get in to the carbs and under the floats the petrol flows over the top of the water till the float if fully closed and then it thinks there is to much petrol

as the filters are there to take out crud it is unlikely that filters are blocked . as for water water in the tank this can come from the pumps at the filling station / supermarkets. look on eBay for a water / fuel separator that fits in line. this would save you loads of hassle..

i fitted one and i Carnot believe how much water it gets in 3 or 4 tanks petrol.. try the carbs first and make shore that the problem.

chazz
"as the filters are there to take out crud it is unlikely that filters are blocked"

That's why it/they might be blocked? Best to ckeck it anyway..:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The annoying thing about this fault is that u can only test it in the water , and the fact that i cant get down there until sunday

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
each carb has a filter which is a very fine mesh disc about the size of a 10 pence piece dont think they would suddenly block up but i will have a look if I dont find anything in the fuel line or collect any water from the bowls .Only problem with the water theory is that why isn't the water sucked through the carb by the venturi action of the engine

·
Banned
132 Posts
fule filter

try to get one like this . you can see the water in the bottom of the bole.

also if there is water in the carbs you will see it on the tissue , it will be a brown dirty looking instead of a nice Golding looking

·
Banned
820 Posts
each carb has a filter which is a very fine mesh disc about the size of a 10 pence piece dont think they would suddenly block up but i will have a look if I dont find anything in the fuel line or collect any water from the bowls .Only problem with the water theory is that why isn't the water sucked through the carb by the venturi action of the engine

Hi It's not suddenly blocking though is it? or at least that's what you said?

Before you go dismantling carbs check the filters. Every mechanic would take a look there first to see if there is dirt floating around at the filter or in the fuel pipe going to it causing it to block up occasionaly. Common sense really.

Just offering a simple suggestion to what may be a simple problem. Like the one suggesed below.:)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
2 reasons why the water doesn't get sucked through. First, fuel wll float on top of the water in the float bowl, hence the drain plug at the lowest point to get it out. It also collects at the low points in any inline filters, the water sep come filter that Chaz has linked uses this property to clean the fuel. Secondly, water has a greater surface tension than fuel and with the size of the holes in a carb jet it can stick in the hole, it needs a lot more suck to get it through the jet than fuel.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2 reasons why the water doesn't get sucked through. First, fuel wll float on top of the water in the float bowl, hence the drain plug at the lowest point to get it out. It also collects at the low points in any inline filters, the water sep come filter that Chaz has linked uses this property to clean the fuel. Secondly, water has a greater surface tension than fuel and with the size of the holes in a carb jet it can stick in the hole, it needs a lot more suck to get it through the jet than fuel.
Thanks for ALL the advice so far .I do hope it is water as this would be an easy fix.Bought a filter seperator http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Genuine-J...QQihZ018QQcategoryZ108853QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I had over a dozen engines over the weekend, all were being used for the first time this season. One had no flow from the pee pipe, salts were blocking it, simple poke out with a wire sorted that one. The others all had water in the fuel. All were using fuel from last year topped up with fresh stuff. I have never known so many to have water in their tanks, perhaps it is a change in the fuel making it more hygroscopic, perhaps it was the mild winter we had causing more condensation in the tanks.

Any missfire, rough running etc. you experience it would be my advice to check for water in your fuel first, especially this year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts