World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wishing to pick the brains of any Merry Fisher owners.

Just upgraded our boat to a MF580. Viewed it on the water previously and bilge completely dry.
Collected it, transported it down, been sat in the yard for couple of weeks but have just launched it into marina.

We have had loads of rain down here in Cornwall, but the bilge compartment where the batteries and 100L fuel tank is kept has been full (very full!) of water. I am not sure if this is rain water getting in, or if there is a leak somewhere.

In this compartment - can rain water get in anywhere else? The compartment floor lid has a self-draining tray around the top so presume the water would just flow around it to back of boat and out the back. There is also a water-tight sealed screwed part in the engine bit (where the outboard top fits in when lift engine up) but that is tight.

The bilge bung is in (at back of boat). I thought perhaps this wasn't a tight fit, but have watched this bung/entrance hole and cannot see water getting in. This bung hole is under water level but as just said, can't see water coming in.

I have just had the marina remove an old transducer and fit new transducer (professionally done). Could there be a leak here?
Hull is solid and intact.

My waffle has probably confused many people (!!) but hope it makes sense to some! Has any other MF owners found loads of water in this bilge compartment??

There is a auto-bilge pump fitted. The float switch is a bit stiff (probably hasn't been used for ages) so that's my job tomorrow to loosen that so floats more easily and trigger the pump.

I'm hoping its just rain water and flooded because of this terrible weather.

Thanks for any advice

This link has a picture of the bilge compartment I am on about (from another boat though)
http://i2.ancasta.com/Webfiles/Medi...?preset=default&width=864&height=648&mode=pad

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
As said, first thing is to taste it to determine if it's saltwater or rainwater.
The amount of rain we've been having could be too much for the locker cover to handle. Pump out the bilge, close lid and throw a few buckets of water over the deck to see if it finds it's way in.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sounds daft but was it dry when you launched her?
Could have possibly been sitting bow down while out of the water and would probably cause it to flood.
Otherwise lots of possibilities to go through methodically.
Tom Beetle on here is a dealer and has knowledge of these boats so may be able to help?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for help so far. Few things to try tomorrow.
Boat was completely dry. Was launched by the marina in their sling.
I went down following day and found the water. Emptied it all out. Following day full of water again.
Hoping its just rain water! We have had a lot of rain.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
check that your deck scuppers are not blocked.

if they are then the rain water can't drain out and will find its way in to the bilge.

·
Registered
994 Posts
And swap your sticking switch pump for one with an electronic solid state switch (or add it as an extra auto pump)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Had the same with my Beneteau, did the taste test and found it was rain water. Eventually found it was coming through the wooden rails on my gunwhales where the previous owner had cut holes and mounted rod holders. Removed the teak gunwhales and replaced them with new fitted my own rail mounted holders - result bone dry bilge (even with this heavy rain)

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Pretty amazing how small a hole a lot of water can get through!

From the OP photo are you saying the water is in the compartment under the hatch which you show closed, which would normally be considered the "bilge" or above the level of the hatch in the cockpit?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am guessing from what the OP has shown in the photo that he is saying that water is collecting at the stern by where the batteries are housed - between the batteries and the transom. My initial concern was that a bad repair to an old transducer removal was letting sea water in - it wasn't it was rain water tracking down.

Pretty amazing how small a hole a lot of water can get through!

From the OP photo are you saying the water is in the compartment under the hatch which you show closed, which would normally be considered the "bilge" or above the level of the hatch in the cockpit?

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Thanks for help so far. Few things to try tomorrow.
Boat was completely dry. Was launched by the marina in their sling.
I went down following day and found the water. Emptied it all out. Following day full of water again.
Hoping its just rain water! We have had a lot of rain.
I had a 580 years ago and had water coming in, not great amounts but annoying, took an age to figure it out, after much head scratching it turned out to be the fitting that the bung screwed into, for whatever reason it just wasn't sealing 100%.

Refitted it using Sikaflex and never had another problem.

As others have said there has been so much wind and rain water will get into places where it really shouldn't, establish whether the water is salt or not before taking any drastic steps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a 580 years ago and had water coming in, not great amounts but annoying, took an age to figure it out, after much head scratching it turned out to be the fitting that the bung screwed into, for whatever reason it just wasn't sealing 100%.

As others have said there has been so much wind and rain water will get into places where it really shouldn't, establish whether the water is salt or not before taking any drastic steps.
Thanks for everyone's help and pointers.
Was down there crack of dawn for a tasting! Salty!
After thoroughly drying and scrutinising every object, fitting and seal, in the end it was the bung. Quite tricky as boat in water, but took it out and rescrewed tightly - tiny drop of water now and then coming in - will do as a short term fix. Will have to beach it this weekend (no trailer) and take out old bung and reseal as Stevieg did above.

(bilge pump sorted as well now)

Thanks again

·
Registered
67 Posts
may be a bit late, but the MF 580 , 585 deck to hull is bonded only, i.e no mechanical fixings look under rubbing strip, at joint, its been known on new boats I don't care what any jeanneau dealer says , having said that the rubbing strip is stretched on at factory and if removed , need I say more, !!
get a pressure washer under edge with coloured water you don't need a lot just to see it look at seam inside for leaks then if found remove rubbing strip in are only do repair , warm the strip first don't just pull it off it will stretch and than sag ,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the advice. All sorted though.
She floats!! :yeah:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts