World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: hello, dose anyone know some good marks to fish in or around MEVAGISSEY ,day,night, beach,rocks anywere, thanks.....

·
Registered
754 Posts
the harbour itself is good - when its not too packed that is
i go every year and fish most mornings (before the wife gets up)
last year i had over 12 species - including a 21/2lb bass on the float !!
plenty of mullet there - but try catching them

going to try chapel point this year , i'm told its a good rock mark but involves a bit of a walk (look on multi-map west of meva)
there are a lot of other good marks - i'll try to get my cousin (who used to live there) to let you know

when are you going??

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Stew and welcome. As Keith says, the Harbour itself can be productive at the right time. Both sides fish well so don't be put off if the more popular Lighthouse wall is busy. If you fancy fishing of the rocks, try Blackhead, just to the East. This venue has thrown up a wide spectrum of different species. Dodman, to the west is also recommended. Again, a wide variety can be had here, but it can excel for larger than average wrasse, mainly Ballans but the ocassional Corkwing can show. As for beach casting, try Pentewan, Caerhays, Vault or Hemmick. All these can throw up Flatties, Bass etc.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
welcome mate.outer wall is good for smallish wrasse,mackeral,small pollack,very occ. bass and plentiful doggies after dark. as weaverboy says blackhead is good,for mackeral out on the end but turn left just past the poets monument and there is good wrasse,bass,mackeral and pollack just walk thru' light brush/ferns. pentewan in the day is impossible to fish - surfers and parking are major problems. chapel point is a very long walk and parking is difficult.gorran haven further west is good for all similar species and parking is plentiful.as everything depends how far you want to drive/walk. e-mail if you want more detailed info/directions/marks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Caerhays is a good beach to fish at night with loads of parking, after dark when the car park shuts park between the car parks on the sand track to the beach, but dont get stuck! don't even atempt to fish their during the day unless you want to catch a human!
Does any one know of any one in Mevagissy who does wrecking trips?

:p
Remember if it aint broke, you have not caught a fish large enough!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
ring mevagissey angling shop on 01726 843430 they act as agents for a number of charters.

·
Registered
754 Posts
if you do fish off meva harbour - please clean up after you , and dont pee on the lighthouse
the harbourmaster is getting really peed off - and i dont blame him

in fact , i know its been said before and no doubt will be said again
but where ever you fish

CLEAN UP AFTERWARDS

cheers
rant over - till next time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all, for all the help and tips you have gave me .and i will try not to pee off the harbourmaster.... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Try the inner harbour wall if the outer harbour wall is busy, at the risk of a large amount of tackle, the rocks which are evident are worth a try. Fished there last week and took my first bass of 3lb on peeler. Sand eels proved good to the area too with plenty of spotted doggies taken over 70cm.

Bait loss seemed to be a major problem with the amount of crab out there although tried a cheap crab net off the inner wall and took a 2 lb lobster as a bonus to the night on squid.

Phil

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have not long returned from Mevagissy I had a 4lb plus bass on Caerhays beach and lost one the same day much bigger....I also fished the harbour wall and was lucky to be one of the few that actually caught ...a ballan wrasse this time small really but well over a pound

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
Retired Angler said:
I have not long returned from Mevagissy I had a 4lb plus bass on Caerhays beach and lost one the same day much bigger....I also fished the harbour wall and was lucky to be one of the few that actually caught ...a ballan wrasse this time small really but well over a pound
Directions to this beach would be useful for my trip in a few weeks time. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts