World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's,

Just a quick post to see if any of you can help me?

As we all know, I have a Microplus and am wanting a cabin door moulding up in GRP if possible, but I dont have the skills to do it. I also don't have the original door to use as a pattern.

Is there anyone out there that wold be willing to take on such a job for me for a small amount as a spare bit of 'Pocket Money'???

I can give you all the dimensions and transporting the finished article is not a problem from anywhere in the UK.

If anyone can help me then please PM me with a contact number and I will call straight away to discuss it further.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
If you can help me out, then

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The problem is making it in GRP. To get a good finished door you would first need to make a pattern, then take a mould from it and then make your one off door from the mould. The pattern and mould would then be scrap. The cost in time and materials would be huge.

The other way to do it is far easier. Make it from some 12mm ply and then either paint it or varnish it. Cost you about £20 to do it yourself.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
The problem is making it in GRP. To get a good finished door you would first need to make a pattern, then take a mould from it and then make your one off door from the mould. The pattern and mould would then be scrap. The cost in time and materials would be huge.

The other way to do it is far easier. Make it from some 12mm ply and then either paint it or varnish it. Cost you about £20 to do it yourself.
Any reason why it could not be cut from ply, glassed over both sides then a flow coat on the outside? Then it would be GRP but without the moulding hassle. Whole boats can be made that way, I believe.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
No problem at all if you are handy with GRP, it was the pocket money bit of the original post that stopped me suggesting this method. Unless you have access to CSM, Surface tissue, resin and gelcoat it would work out expensive

·
Registered
584 Posts
Am I missing something? Whats wrong with a quality marine ply door, edged, well prepared and varnished with 6 coats of quality nut oil based marine varnish? Last for years.

The nut oil varnish is flexible, does not split and peel like brittle polyurethane, re coat every 2nd year with a light rub and two coats, job don, strip back every 6th year if required?

It ain't going to be cheap though, the varnish is about £20 a liter. But its going to be cheaper than a 'GRP' one off moulding and look better than sheathed ply? You can do it yourself RSM? Buy a good veneer, it looks like wood preserved in resin, you cant stop touching it!!!

As I say, am I missing something:blink: ET's OPO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts