World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As discussed with a forum member tonight, here's the boat and engine that I have just purchsed for my forray's into the world of sea fishing from my own boat.

I will be posting pictures of the progress as the work is done and asking advice as and when needed.

So, the first part of the post is the boat and engine themselves.

Thoughts and comments???

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well..........Really, to start with, I just wanted to hear peoples thoughts and comments on what I have just parted with my money for?

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thoughts and comments eh ..... well to be honest it would all depend on how much you actually paid for the vessel ?

First impressions are, you have got some work ahead of you, looks like she has been laid up awhile, I read your other threads and comments, a good point someone made, take your time looking the whole boat over, and dont rush a job.
These boats are (in my opinion) very well made, and considering they were made in 70's and 80's they have survived well.
For your interest, 50 hp is the largest recommended outboard.

ps..... when mine was finished and I decided I needed a larger boat, I sold mine for £2500, not bad for an £800 investment, and about 200 hours work !

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, I am looking for stuff that needs work, the boat is perfectly seaworthy with some work. I am looking at it with the mentality of what would be a priority to fix if I owned it.

The first thing to do is get rid of the metal tank, it will rust internally and flakes of red paint will store up a world of grief for you in the future.

You look to have the old 2 cable system on pulleys for steering, swap over to a single Morse type steering system, your engine will be fine with the single system.

You have bunks fitted to the trailer, nothing wrong with that but you will have to dunk the trailer deeper to launch/retrieve the boat. If you can look at fitting rollers in place of the bunks, it will make it easier to launch.

Fit "witches hats" to the holes in the splash well to save water entering in a following sea. The black cable unless it is loose in the body of the boat is too short to connect to the engine, it will kink.

The switch panel is exposed to all the water that may come aboard or rain, it is not a waterproof type, think about putting it insde the cuddy or giving it a bit of cover to keep the corrosion down to a minimum.

The hull looks to have been antifouled. Dilunet will remove all this paint and this will probably have protected the gellcoat. A good buff with a cutting compound and polish will bring a sparkle back to it. Don't follow the instructions on the tin if you use Dilunet, paint it on and cover with 1 foot squares of clingfilm. This stops the solvent evapourating and gives you time to remove it. Leave it at least 24 hours then peel back a square and test with a scraper. If the antifoul peels clean it is ready to strip, if not leave it a bit longer. Use a stainless pan scrub dipped in meths to remove the residue, when the panscrub gets clogged wash it in neat fairy and rinse in water, good as new. Saves a fortune in sandaper which clogs up pretty rapidly. Read the safety info on the tin as Dilunet is nasty stuff, protect youself if you are using it.

Again, not meant to be a negative post but to offer constructive advice from what I can see in your photos.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
First thoughts - hopefully you haven't parted with too much money. She's certainly no spring chicken. Is their a maker's plate on the hull to show a year? If you give the full engine serial number, I should be able to work that year out too?

Basics - are you going for a full refurb or just a patch up? If a full refurb, strip out everything that can be stripped, but photograph it first to remind you how to put it back! Is there any damage at all to the hull? In an aged boat, stress cracks are a major worry. They'll just look like very fine lines. Get the paint stripped and give her a very good examination. If possible, and ok to do so, pour a lot of water in the hull on a dry day and look for leakage coming out? try to have the keel sitting as horizontal as possible so that everything doesn't just run to the one end?

You've certainly got a major project on your hands and it will be very time consuming. You'll probably work for ages and have little to show for your efforts - then all of a sudden it will quite rapidly come together. The colourscheme looks well aged too! have a look at new boats and see how many look clean and new in an all white colourscheme?

Internal fittings - nothing looks nicer than well varnished hardwood and brass screws! Think in advance about hidden cable routes? Plastic mini-trunking can be discreetly hidden and built in before painting.

Engine - get it serviced by a Johnson dealer - make sure you get a quote before any work goes ahead. A Johnson seloc manual will be a good investment too - try Ebay for that.

The best Engine & Boat restoration site by far is IBoats (USA). There are Johnson (OMC) retired engineers who post there a dozen times a day.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Glad you got a boat in the end and she should make a great little boat with some work.
Follow the experienced guys on here advice and you wont go wrong.If your not sure just ask, it might well save a lot of hassle later on.
Good luck.

Alan

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The engine is much older than the 80's by then the OMC engines in common with most others had switched to the 'Through the prop exhaust system' .
From the look of it I would date your engine in the 1960's early 1970's. But if it has had very little use it should be fine, basically with O/B's condition is all. If it looks like it's not been used a lot then fine 40 years of doing nowt shouldn't be held against it.

Afishionado

PS Scrubbing, stripping and sanding down gives you tennis elbow. Paint fumes give you asthma, glass fiber gives you the itches, and all of them give you dermititus. ISN'T BOAT OWNING FUN!!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
You're going to enjoy the fit-out.
Here's some tips I learned from my microplus 500 (basically the same boat)

I agree with Afishionado on the engine year-it's 60's. Post '71 40hp Johnsons had the square cowl as far as I remember.
One thing to look out for on them is the mainshaft bearing into the gearbox. Start the engine up on muffs(IN NEUTRAL! :D ) and stick a crowbar/very long screwdriver up against the area I've shaded in red and listen with it like a stethoscope for nasty grinding noises.
If you hear any then sell it. Pm me your email addy and I'll add you to my msn and send you a copy of a generic Johnson manual that'll point you in the right direction for working on it.

The control attachments I can see on your motor are Morse rather than standard Johnson/OMC so make sure you buy the right controls/cables.

DON'T fill the hull with water until you're absolutely certain there's no leaks in the cabin floor-it's double skinned with a foam inner there with no drain holes. If this fills with water she'll be really nose heavy and it'll be a beggar to empty as the foam soaks it up. For this reason don't remove the canopy either until you're sure.

You'll probably find the canopy gets right on your nerves when fishing and may hit the motor when folded. If it does, sell it.:secret: You'll get good money for it on Ebay-they are EXPENSIVE new :D

Max HP isn't 50 by the way, it's 80 but I'd be dubious about putting more than 60hp on such an old boat. It's hard to find more than 50hp in a short shaft anyway.

Two points to really look hard at are the splashwell bung and the transom/deck join. Smack the transom hard with your fist near them. If you see any movement or water bubbling out report back.

Attachments

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alan,

Thanks for your help with the engine, the model number is:

40R718

Looking at that website it seems to be a 1970 model?

Is that going to pose ny problems if spares are needed?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Alan,

Thanks for your help with the engine, the model number is:

40R718

Looking at that website it seems to be a 1970 model?

Is that going to pose ny problems if spares are needed?

Thanks
Never delt much with old Johnsons. I`m not a fan of old outboards full stop.
Had quite a few in the past and all i got was grief, and as my main means of propulsion i want somthing i can trust.
Bear in mind your ouboard is 37 years old, who knows what treatment it has had in all those years.
You may have to hunt about a bit for spares. Bill Higham Marine is always a good place to start... http://www.billhigham.co.uk/
If you cant get a part here then you may have to get it sent from the states.

Alan

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
As an immediate start, jack up the trailer and remove the wheels, hubs and axles into the garage.
Is that a flat tyre I see.

I dont know if the transom conteins any wood, rot might be a problem.
How you check for it I dont know but you dont want to feed the horses only to see the back end of the boat twist off.
Sleep well and good luck

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
By buying it "not ready to fish", you will go over it like a child with a new toy, cleaning this, scraping that, tightening this & replacing steel fittings with brass or stainless etc. The engine you will either have to service yourself or get it done locally, have a look at what's been done, & if possible watch as its being done.
Check out the fuel system, as has already been said, dump the iron tank & get a plastic one (or two) get your arse to your local boat jumbles, go with a mate who knows about boats, or join a club, they usually run jumbles trips. Its going to be a learning curve, & the more you learn on land while you are doing it up, the more confident & safer you will be on the water.:yeah:
Thinking back how I used to "push the envelope" in my old 28ft converted lifeboat, I realise that I am lucky to be posting today, because I bought a "ready to fish" (supposedly) & had to get on a very steep learning curve, but it certainly has stood me in good stead, take your time, be thorough, take pride in it, & above all enjoy the experience!;)
blueskip

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Evening Guys.

Well, I have just picked up the boat tonight after a 5 hour journey!

But, I can safely say that I am VERY happy with it. It is actually better than described!!!

As I am knackered, I wont post anymore tonight, but will do tomorrow during the day and also with more closer photos of the boat and trailer ready for all the questions from me wanting advice.

Thanks guys.

Night

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Morning Guys,

Well, the weekend has landed and I am going to start some work on my 'Mickey' (Microplus) in a minute.

Let the fun begin! LOL

I had a good look inside it yesterday at all the seating, decks, inner hull, windows, etc and all seems fine, just some cushions to buy/make and a stove/toilet to install in the cabin with a light and some form of curtain/blind and thats the inside done.

Regards to the rear cockpit/deck, the actual wooden slat deck is in VERY GOOD condition and just needs a clean down and revarnish, the supports/beams are in excellent condition and also where they are glassed into the hull - so no problems there.
There is some woodwork side benches that need to be sanded and repainted nd have some waterproof cushions adding then they are finished.

The helm console needs sorrting out, new steering putting in, VHF setting flush into the console, etc. I need to get to seats with pedestals for the rear cockpit too, NOT the adjustable pedestals, just the standard set height ones, any ideas?

Has anyone got a set kicking around they want to get rid of cheaply?

Thankfully, there are NO cracks or tears in the hull and all is watertight, but can I find the blasted drain plug? NO!!! Help?

Then, onto my main question..........What colours should I paint her in?
You can see from the original pictures on the start of this thread what colours it is in now.......should I keep them or do it another colour?

I have found a list of things I need to get so far if anyone can help? -

Stem Head Roller

2 Seats with pedestals

Sink

Stove

Nav Lights

Teleflex Steering for Johnson 40

Hull Rubbing Strip

The trailer im not to sure about, needs new rollers (3 of them) and new pads for the other supports, you'll see when the photos are uploaded later. Where to I get the cable for the winch from??

Well, thats all for now, I will be back on later today with pictures of the work, etc.

Bye for now.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Ebay will be the cheapest place for all that lot.

Some microplus's didn't have a drain bung. If that's the case then you're lucky.-there's one less place on the transom for water to get in. Get a good bilge pump just in case and don't bother with a drain bung-a sponge will do a better job.

Don't use a cable on the winch. Use a proper strop.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts