World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking forward to it for so long, the day of our second trip of the year aboard Mikatcha out of Aberdyfi finally arrived, typically though the “summer” weather tried to ruin things for us and the forecast all week had been touch and go, one minute it was for sunny skies and light winds, the next it was torrential rain and gale force winds. As it happened we were relatively lucky and the weather finally settled somewhere in between - cloudy skies but mainly dry with light winds! :g: Just in case things deteriorated later in the day we decided to set sail early (7 o’clock) and so me, SteveA and Glyn from our club met up at 4:30am. After a detour to pick up SteveO we arrived at Aberdyfi just before 6:30 where we met the rest of the crew for the trip, Cuffmeister, his brother Chris and a couple of their mates Ads and John, all from Holyhead.

As we got aboard the boat Charlie the skipper told us all about the weather the day before, Aberdyfi had been battered by force 8 winds and they were so bad that he hadn’t even been able to get out into estuary to where Mikatcha is moored, let alone take the boat out, another indication of how bad things had been was that parents had even stopped their kids from crabbing on the jetty in case they were blown off into the water! :eek:hmy: Sadly as we were to find out even though the wind had dropped by now and it was a beautiful day when we set sail the gales would still have an impact on our days fishing.

Charlie said that the mackerel had been about it good numbers over the previous week or so but it looked like the bad weather had broken up the shoals, the water was also a bit on the coloured side too and we struggled to get about 20 :thumbdown, it was lucky that we planned to do some trolling for bass with artificials as we wouldn’t have enough fresh bait for the day otherwise. The last time we fished on Mikatcha we had 3 tope runs within 10 minutes but this time the action was a bit slower, not that much slower though and the first run came after about 15 minutes :laugh: sadly this resulted in a lost fish as one of Cuffmeister’s knots didn’t live up to the job :nonono: this resulted in a bit of friendly Mickey taking but that was soon forgotten, when a little while later the next 2 runs came together and soon after that the first 2 tope of the day were brought aboard, one to Steve O (GB 2)

And the second one, yep you’ve guesses it! :laugh: To SteveA (GB 1).

Both nice fish around the 30lb mark.

Things went quiet again for about another 15 minutes or so when another flurry of activity resulted in another brace of tope around the same size as the first 2, the first to Chris

and second to Ads

It was during this second spell of action that my usual bad luck with Aberdovey tope struck again, the last time out I had 4 runs and failed to land any, this time my only run of the day resulted in me being bitten off within seconds :cry:.

After this the action died off again so we all got second rods set up to fish for bream, as with the tope sport was a bit quiet to start with but as the tide eased the fishing improved and we all had some good sport, landing enough bream to give everyone a decent feed, topped off by a nice fish of 2lb 2oz to me, beating my previous PB by over a pound.

Next up was a bit of trolling over the reef for bass, to minimise tangles Charlie would only allow 4 rods to be fished at once so we organised ourselves into 2 teams of 4 and decided to swap over with the rods after each run along the reef, 4 rods were soon set up with a variety of Redgills and Sidewinders and the first run began. The Dwygyfylchi / Llanfair lads were first to have a go and none of us knew quite what to expect but as I soon found out that wasn’t a problem and instinct takes over, we had only been trolling for a few minutes when my rod was pulled hard over and as instructed I shouted “Fish on!” :fishing: and Charlie stopped the boat while I reeled in, it was only a schoolie but we were off the mark. Next run and it was the turn of the Holyhead lads to have a go, this time it was John’s turn for a hook-up on the same rod that I had used, it was certainly the lucky rod on the day and we caught fish on most runs, I even managed to catch 2 fish on the same run once. The other rods took their fair share too and SteveA caught his first bass of the year to take him up to 35 species :clap3:, we had managed to catch at least 20 bass between us before they went off the feed, the biggest weighing in at around 5lb.

It was getting late in the day now so we anchored up once more to try for tope before we called it a day but sadly it wasn’t to be, the ebb tide was running quite strongly by know and the weed was bad after the recent rough weather so the they didn’t want to play ball, we did manage to top up our bream supplies though and catch a few small huss but that was it for the day and all too soon it was time to head for home.

Before the trip I had hoped to get a tope, a greater weaver and a tub gurnard to really get my species count moving again and personally I was gutted that I didn’t catch any of my target species but I couldn’t really complain, with about 15 bream including a new PB and 6 bass, I’d had a great day :thumbs:. Everyone else had a great time too and even though our tope haul was down from 19 the last time we fished there that was probably down to the effects of the bad weather so we’re already planning ahead to next year when hopefully the weather will play ball and we’ll get into the tope again, who knows I might even get one myself next time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
All I can say is

EPIC

Thats a brilliant report and pics Andy, I'm so jealous.

John

·
Registered
10,754 Posts
Absorbing read Andy :clap: set me up nicely for my trip out tomorrow. Hope I have half as good a day as you had - a tope and a few bream will do.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Andy,

Great report and pictures bud.
Well done to Bronze, Silver and Gold [email protected]
Think No [email protected] is another to add to the team.
Nice PB, that is equivelent to one new species if your short at the end of the species target, think thats a reasonable rule for the efforts and contribution ...lol.

Coastman - Its a Shore Thing.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Quality tope , my appologies as i havent read the thread as i'm off to bed, will read in the morn when my eyes can focus ! There will be a guess the weight on webbo's flounder when i put it up , it was massive and my scales are either broke or it's a very good fish !!

·
Registered
329 Posts
You'll definitely get your tope next time mate.

Bl**dy typical of the weather to have scattered the mackerel shoals, but at least we had a great day out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Execellent report and pics mate.

It's a long time since I've been out with Charlie (long before Mikatcha was aquired), but I used to go out regularly with him and we never had a bad day in over ten years of fishing with him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts