World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL if only you knew!

I don't do holidays, all the fishing "holidays" I do is either for pictures or for articles or for tourist boards who want to promote it further.

Sadly, I wish I could change this, but we don't get paid to actually "fish" even thought 90% of people think we do, we get paid to sit infront of a computer, sort out photographs and write about it. :D

At the end of the day its not a bad job to have but you still have to deal with the everyday stresses of doing a job, including keeping to deadlines, making sure any kit you design is A1, answering peoples questions and e-mails, taking phone calls from people complaining why a beach you recommended ten years ago hasnt got any double figure bass on it any more etc. etc. One of the biggest stresses of all is actually catching fish! If you don't do it for a living and you don't catch its not really the end of the world, but if you do it for a living and don't catch anything, there are only so many angles you can cover a blanking session from!

The photographers job is probably the worst on the "fishing day" as he has to drop everything and find the camera for even the smallest of fish to record the day correctly. Most of the time you end up been on a boat and not actually fishing. The best times are always in a force 5 or 6 when the boat is pitching up and down at an incredible rate and you are looking through a lense for a few minutes trying to get that perfect "scenic" ;)

I think the old man and myself have now managed to divide it up though! Sea fishing is our work, we take the camera where ever we go and a notepad just incase. Fly fishing for trout is my enjoyment fishing as I don't have a camera to worry about and I can just fish and mess around as I like :D

Anyway, just a little small insight into the world of angling journalism for you ;)

Off to the pub now to celebrate Mike Snr's Birthday!! I won't mention how old, he might hurt me...

Mike Jnr

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
mike i feel i must apologise after that heartrending explanation of your working life. and there's me thinking i had it bad getting shot at, jumping out of planes in the dark, and generally living in mud for 8yrs. not to mention being butted up the bum by a nasty sheep somewhere in the black mountains. i am obviously not gratefull :)

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, Wasn’t having a go or anything mate, just annoys me when people think you are on a jolly all the time.

Angling is a business and if you don't treat it with professionalism then you shouldn't be doing the job. Whether that be fishing, writing, photography, tackle designing etc etc. Doesn't matter if you design tackle or a car, the job is exactly the same.

Haven't been shot yet ;) but been close to not getting back to shore on a couple of occasions. A combination of dodgy skippering, dodgy boats and the "don't worry, she always leaks like this" look about it when a storm comes crashing in from nowhere :D

I take it you where in the forces then?

Mikeeeeeee Jnr

·
Registered
737 Posts
mike i still think you got the best job in the world and if you ever need an older apprentice give me a call be there like a shot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts