World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to boat fishing. Have got a 15' boat which I use on the Haven. Have only done feathering for mackerel so far and am looking for a bit more variety.

Would be very grateful for advice on locations and techniques within the Haven to try some bait or lure fishing. Many thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
best to start off with the basics mate, i'm not from your area but if you start looking at mikes pages on rigs you won't go far wrong, if your going out at this time of the year start with a flowing trace with small hooks(6-1/0) baited with lug/squid. On the rig you will catch dabs, pouting, whiting, codling as well as doggys. The same rig will catch bass, bream, trigger fish, all flattys and loads more in the summer on the makerel you can catch aswell as worms, sandeel, crab etc. If you then move onto other rigs under the boat fishing section you won't go far wrong. best of luck mate but be warned once you get the bug it gets very expensive

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Try asking Craig at Milford Angling Supplies for some advice. He is a keen boat angler and a member of the local club. You can get him on 01646 692765.

Rhod.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I do a lot of fishing in milford haven more off the shore than boat. If you want cod I have been told that Dock yard bankopposite hobbs point is good for cod and whiting. milford shelf is good trawling tiny rapalas. Mid channel rocks is a good scratching mark there was an article written in sea angler about it. Dakation wreck out from dale gives good conger. The haven is prolific wiith fish if these marks do not produce get the chart out and look for fish holding features soch as shallow water reefs etc. If you can get out toskomer the Knoll sandbank I have caught bass on in october using silver mackerel feathers. It does not really matter where you anchor or drift in the haven as there are fish everywhere in there

do not know if this helps (hope so)

Bass Buster

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a good free website www.a1surf.com which allows you to check the wave height for many different parts of britain, especially useful if you are planning a trip in advance as they give wam animation and a 5 day forecast, so for fishing off places that are affected by the waves I have found it invaluable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts