World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I had a small school bass from Dale last week I would now like something a little bigger. I have a boat in milford Haven. Where is the best place to go for bas, what bait, what lure and what other species am I likely to encounter?</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Any where up river using ragworm or trolled rapalla&#39;s. Try lawrenny, rhoose ferry, llangwm or any where up the cleddaue estuary it should be boiling up there. A good bet is in between the struts of the bridge and around neyland. Off the beach try Newgale, Marloes, Little haven or Freshwater west. Good luck, try speaking to one of the local tackle shops as they get a good idea of whats being caught when and where. Tight lines.</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Boat fishing for bass above the Cleddau bridge is illegal&#33;
This is a bass nursery area where only shore fishing is allowed. I know of people who troll rapalas with a high degree of success within the nursery. These are not anglers - they are fishmongers, in terms of attitude, as most of the fish are sold.

Its up to you whether you want to fish in a restricted area.</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
<font color='#000000'>freelined or lightly weighted live sandeels caan be lethal for bass but u have to be ready to strike pretty much instantly</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#000000'>That is not entirely true and I can assure you I am not a comercial fisherman and if that was the case Rhod why would have sea angler magazine about 3 years ago wrote an article &nbsp;on boat fishing up the estuary you will find that there is designated areas which you are allowed to fish at certain times of the year.</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Wasn&#39;t implying that you&#39;re a commercial boy. I&#39;m just saying that the people I&#39;ve encountered are not in it totally for the sport.
As for Sea Angler, I remember the article as they were apparently fishing for "flounder" over the Lawrenny Bar. I bet they had bass and didn&#39;t photo them knowing #### well that it wasn&#39;t allowed.
If someone does know the exact rules regarding bass nursery areas I would be interested to hear what they are. I have been led to believe that no boat fishing for bass means exactly that - all the year round. If there are designated areas let us know where they are.

Cheers,

Rhod.</font>

·
Registered
4 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi

Regarding the rules to Bass fishing in a designated nursery area the following is taken from the Bass Anglers web site.

Nursery Areas
Fishing for bass from any vessel, as well as, fishing for any species of sea-fish using sand-eels (Ammodytidae) as bait, is prohibited in 37 separate areas for all or part of the year. These areas, their extent and the seasonal duration of the prohibition are set out below. The legislation is Statutory Instrument 1999 No 75 The Bass (Specified Areas) (Prohibition of Fishing) (Variation) Order 1999).

The nursery areas comprise river estuaries, harbours and power station outfalls where juvenile bass usually predominate and are more easily caught, particularly during the summer months. In certain nursery areas, fishing may also be subject to other restrictions implemented by the local sea fisheries committee or the Environment Agency [National Rivers Authority]. Such restrictions may include prohibitions on the setting of fixed nets or restrictions on the use of mobile gear.

The prohibition on bass fishing in nursery areas does not apply to fishing from the shore. However it is expected that shore anglers and their associations will respect the need for this prohibition and return to the sea any bass caught within nursery areas

For the sake of the future of the speices we all should acknowledge no bass fishing in the nursery areas and if one is caught, it should be returned unharmed.

Hope this helps:- &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
437 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>hi from my experiance of the cleddau &nbsp; &nbsp;BLACK TAR beach and
esturey are all good for bass dig the local worm to the right of the slip at black tar &nbsp;its hard going but well worth it for king rag. &nbsp; BACK FILL ALL HOLES KEEP IT NICE. i have caught some nice bass to 14lbs over the years there. &nbsp;hope this helps. clive &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hey ben and all you others interested in the milford haven area. I plan to spend the whole of next week fishing the area &nbsp;and I&#39;ll let you all know how I got on and try and recommend some places for you all to go.</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts