World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm making a trip to Milford at the weekend and have a slot for some beach fishing from around midday Saturday until the early eve. HT is around 2pm, looks like its a bit blowy and might rain.

Am I wasting my time?! I'm happy to do that as ive been fishing for years, but im bringing 3 other people who don't really fish and an afternoon of hauling in weed might put them off for life!

Any thoughts would be appreciated, the alternative is the pub!

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not fished it in a long time mate but to be fair I wouldn't bother all the reviews iv seen all seem to blank or pull loads of weed. With this onshore wind I bet there will be a lot of weed coming in . Hope it helps bud

·
Banned
6,986 Posts
Heard up tackle shop today few sole have been caught at low tide at Hordle slightly to right of milford with high being 2 pm as you said fishing into darkness you might have a chance of also se rays and underlates if lucky over sand bar bit of distance will be needed expect normal small smuts, whiting going on reports today and dog walkers at Hordle , few guys are fishing it thur/Friday so might be able to give update. As above hit and miss as Lee said about milford possibly John will give advice later his area

Also view milford web cam for sea state

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fished Milford the past 3 weekends
1st weekend thronback Ray 10lb and small eyed ray
2nd garfish and dogfish
3rd 4lb pollock I have only been fishing the evenings for a couple of hours from 5ish till 9ish
Weed has not been a issue
Local angling shop loni in new Milton is the best place for advice on where is best to fish and great knowledge of local areas

·
Registered
165 Posts
As already has been said, you have alternative venues, eg the actual shingle bank itself, go down New Lane and park at the end(it's free), cross the wooden bridge and pick your spot.(I'd avoid the first 200yds left of the rocks as it can be snaggy) otherwise its all much the same. You're fishing it the right way round ie over high and then down and if you can fish into darkness that will help enormously.
A variety of species are on offer and your 'novices' won't have to cast beyond the horizon to pick something up if they're lucky, just get them to drop it in the gutter.

Other nearby spots include, Paddys Gap, Hordle Cliff, Barton and Highcliffe. Loni's for all your bait, tackle and information.

As for the weather, they will remember catching regardless of the conditions, whereas the pub will be forgotten by Sunday!

Enjoy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hopefully down that way myself over the weekend. As has been said lonis tackle shop is the place for any help, bait and tackle. I've not actually fished milford but have fished the shingle bank on 2 occasions and found the weed can be an issue as well as the pull of the tide at certain times. Hordle cliffs I've fished once and caught mainly school bass and black bream casting 80yds or so. Not fished Barton but have done a couple of days at highcliffe where I caught numbers of small bass, small bream, eels and a baby smooth hound. This was all back a month or so ago and more. Not been down that way since.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Make sure u cast it out as far as u can over the sand bar mate that’s the trick 80-100 yards out if u can it will pay off wink wink

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
nice shot yakdiver , i've never actually seen it out of the water before, there's some good info on ian wests site .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts