World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Heading down to Milford over the next few days. Is it worth strapping th rods to the top of the car ? Was hoping for a couple of daylight sessions in the area.
Any advice welcome

Cheers
Steve
o 2 b by d c

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Definately worth packing your rods! I would suggest trying the groins rather than the shingle bank as you stand a good chance of picking up an early ray.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Definately worth packing your rods! I would suggest trying the groins rather than the shingle bank as you stand a good chance of picking up an early ray.
Much as though I like the bloke (even though he is a scummer!! lol), I have to disagree with John (Bagstar) on this one. The groynes may throw up a decent early ray....but they may not (the groins in that area, however, will throw up a few std's!! lol).

I would deffo go for the shingle bank and fish as close to the New Lane rocks as you can. Fish one rod as close to the rocks as you are brave enough to and one rod at as bigger range as you are capable (but vary the range if bites are hard to come by, obviously).

If you are fishing a big spring it is hard work and you will have to fish the slack behind the rocks at each direction of the tide (there is only enough room for two anglers to hide behind the rocks.....so be warned; you may be beaten to the spot).

If you fish a smaller tide, you can get away with much more.....but will probably need grippers an hour either side of high.

The reason I have recommended the shingle bank is because IMHO it is a better all round venue and will fish throughout the tide range; the groynes are predominantly a high water venue and tend to produce very little at other times.

Good luck mate whatever you choose to do.

Andy. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info gents. The rods will be joining me. Hopefully a little luck will also be with me as I need it ;)

Steve

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Milford Shingle bank is a complete waste of time at this time of year during the day, on a night ebb tide you may pick up a bass, dogfish, pollack or pout, even a rockling if you are unlucky. The groynes at Hurst will also only produce at night with pollack, pout and bass the main species.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Mate, Shingle has been slow over the last couple weeks, had plenty of blanks on flyers after work in the eves. As andy said, if you can get tight in to the groins there's Pollock... But i guess i've just given my game away!

Wouldn't expect much, havn't seen anything actually pulled out in a couple weeks now, but always worth a try and this heat may help warm things up.

Given it's bank holls though i'd pretty much forget the new lane mark (the groin were talkingt about above), it will be rammed with screaming kids... I'd take the long old walk up to the castle and fish the hole/beach (facing Lymo East) personally...

It'l be much quiter, and if teh bait fish are in will get cornered in the bay - with a deep ledge...

But all IMHO...

Let us know how you get on, I may head down one evening, prob tonight also (red cooler, 1 x long, 1 short) come say hello...

·
Registered
489 Posts
On Thurs morning I fished Hurst on the corner facing Lymo as mentioned above, starting at low tide around 6am. I had several pollock to 1.5lb and one doggy. Three blokes were already up there having fished all night in the trap, which is the sandy bay directly facing the IOW. They'd had one smallish bass in the night, and also took some pollock when the tide began flooding.

I would definitely fish at Hurst for the moment, I suspect the main Shingle bank will be producing pollock, pout and dogs but fewer and smaller. However, as soon as the weather turns south westerly I would favour the bank for a bass ...

... but I'm very often wrong about these choices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts