World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn"t strictly the correct topic for this forum but it is boat related so I hope the mods leave it here as I feel this is where I will get the best response.
I am after a mincer, something capable of mincing whole Mackeral. I have looked everywhere I can think but the options seem to be small hand held mincers which just aren"t big or robust enough or big electric jobs meant for meat processing plants.
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Bought it on e-bay last year it deals with mackerel no problem the only thing is I need a monkey to turn the handle, because I am the organ grinder! dont knock the small hand mincers with the handle & worm they do a great job when you eventually find any mackerel!

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought it on e-bay last year it deals with mackerel no problem the only thing is I need a monkey to turn the handle, because I am the organ grinder! dont knock the small hand mincers with the handle & worm they do a great job when you eventually find any mackerel!
I have seen the small ebay ones (no 12 size I think) & they just look to small Vic. Can you just drop a whole Mackeral in turn the handle & out it comes minced ? I want to mince up a fair few for Shark chum.

headlight

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Amazon.co.uk, hand operated, will mince almost anything, keep your fingers out of it.

at the transom on the table.

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Amazon.co.uk, hand operated, will mince almost anything, keep your fingers out of it.

at the transom on the table.
Iv got one like that. I pinched it off my old man a few years ago, to do the xmas stuffing. He aint asked for it back, so guess what i will be useing it for.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You don't really need to mince it up that fine for shark chum.
Just chuck a dozen mackerel in a big bucket and stomp on them, if you got wellies on.

If barefoot, mash 'em up with a piece of 3x2 timber.

What you are trying to do is get the oils flowing out of the flesh, not actually mash the flesh up too fine.
You don't need to mince the fish, just cut it and mash it.

I've seen some excellent home made mashing tools, including one which consisted of a stainless steel sharpened ring, on a handle, that weighed about 60lbs. A day crewing on that boat was better than a session in the gym.

If you don't want to go to that expense, get yourself a cheap lawn edging tool and sharpen it up. wash it well after use, or it will only last one trip.

Pennog.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iv got one like that. I pinched it off my old man a few years ago, to do the xmas stuffing. He aint asked for it back, so guess what i will be useing it for.
Can you actually drop a whole large Mackeral into the hopper on these small mincers or do you have to hold it while you mince ? I want to mince up probably a hundred or so a time which is why I was looking for a bigger one (still hand operated). I have actually seen a 12v model specifically for making shark chum on board but they are £500.

headlight

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Can you actually drop a whole large Mackeral into the hopper on these small mincers or do you have to hold it while you mince ? I want to mince up probably a hundred or so a time which is why I was looking for a bigger one (still hand operated). I have actually seen a 12v model specifically for making shark chum on board but they are £500.

headlight
I dont know about the others you can get, but the one i have is only small. I would have to hold the macky, as i turn the handle.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Go get yourself a cheapo wood chipper, the sort you throw garden waste through to turn it into mulch. Duct tape and a builders rubble bag completes it. Instant chum chopper, 100 mack.....chum......2min max. Have a session, freeze the bags down, slash the bags, hang them off the boat, slow release frozen chum.

Unplug, wash out with hose, can of WD40, good to go for next season. WD adds to the flavour next year. Cost you about £80 for a cheapo at B&Q that will handle frozen mack so you can build your stock up over a few trips and freeze them down untill you got enough for next season then you wheel the chipper out and have a chum chopping session. Freezer now empty so you got space to hold the bags of chum.

Want fresh?, only limited by the ammount of mack you got and the cleanup time you got to put in after a session, it is a hell of a lot easier than grinding a hand mincer all day to me. Get yourself a mack mulcher

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Got to agree with Chris, if you are doing large amounts then you need a powered one, even 12 volt would not be good enough to use on the boat best to "prep" at home. Also not strictly needed as rubby dubby, chunks will do just as well, if not better.

C

·
0 Posts
Get yourself down Lidls. Last week they had some electric mincers for £35. I got one and it minces whole mackerel no problems. The bigger ones may need cutting into smaller chunks first, but it will even mince frozen mackerel in small chunks.

C

·
0 Posts
Personally I would not recommend using a garden shredder for something like mackerel that is going to be wet and salty which will rot the mechanism of a shredder in no time, unless you can completely strip it down after every use.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After taking onboard the advice given in this thread & some pm"s I went out today & bought a shredder from B&Q, £80 but a 20% off sale on so £64:thumbs:
I went for the shredder due to the amount of fish I want to mince. I"ll just have to be careful how I clean the machine down after use & make sure I oil it after cleaning.
I never would have thought about a shredder so thanks for the suggestion.
Now bring on the Porgies (if this wind ever stops).

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
You have to catch a 100 mackerel you numpty, I dont reckon there has been 100 caught on the entire South Wales Forum so far this year! & mega, mega growler only counts as 1 species in the comp anyway!:whistling: you got mains electric on you boat now then? if you have I bet you have bolted the shredder down with 8M Nynloc Nuts!:roll1:

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have to catch a 100 mackerel you numpty, I dont reckon there has been 100 caught on the entire South Wales Forum so far this year! & mega, mega growler only counts as 1 species in the comp anyway!:whistling: you got mains electric on you boat now then? if you have I bet you have bolted the shredder down with 8M Nynloc Nuts!:roll1:
You are so droll Vic lol. Last Monday I could"ve filled the boat with Mackeral, string of 5 every drop ! FYI I shall be doing the shredding at home where I do have mains electric:bleh:
As the numbers of shark in the areas I am targetting are low (I think) my reasoning is the more chum the better:laugh:
PS. want any 8mm nylocs cheap:secret:

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Shoals of growlers coming up from the bottom to find out who is throwing mackerel in,:eek:hmy: they will be rising like trout downtide of you, now there's a novelty, a growler on a dry fly!:bleh:
I'm gonna stick to brown crumb & pilchard oil in a bottom feeder, when you put minced mackerel in it the growlers come from Illfracombe for it.:nono:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts