World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the minimum weight you need a bass to be to be able to sell it?

Thanks if you can help me

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Selling them to pay for tackle, bait etc. Catching them using legering or paternostering in an estuary with sand eel. Local mongers are showing interest in fresh sea bass and i've never sold any before and i hear there is a minimum weight that the buyers accept.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Angleman

If you selling bass for a commerical profit?. Then all with due respect please leave this website. Fishing on this website is not for commerical gain. It's for pleasure and passion.

Woodster

PS. Sorry if I have offended any other posters

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
woodster, i was going in the same direction as you but a little less direct, no disrespect angleman but i thought i had found a netter. arn't most estuary's nurserys? if so you should leave them alone

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not fish for my own personal gain. I used to carp fish before i moved towns which involves no personal profit. Since the place i live i so much better for sea fishing i took the sport up. I have been fishing for 2 years here without so much as harming a fish. I simply am going fishing this weekend and as a friend has informed me of a demand for bass i am going to sell some of the bass a catch. Infact i am asking this question so i do not cause any harm to fish that might get rejected at the counter because of their weight.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Are youo telling me you have never swapped a bass for a bag of chips on the way home becaus you were skint and so hungry the toungue of your boot looked tempting!!! Seriously I've swapped the odd bass for some milk, bread beans etc. Espicially when i've been in ireland

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you are right Ian. I usually fish down my local docks but was informed of the mongers and of a large amount of good sized bass feeding on at a brook mouth leading into the estuary at high tide. I simply wanted to go out fishing and if i landed anything worth selling then i would sell it to the mongers.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i recognise that you do not want to harm fish and apologise if you think we are being hard on you, we are not. what we are all doing on this site is trying to protect our sport and protect the stocks from over fishing for commercial gain. i live and breath the sea and if i am not on the beach then i am under the water, i go every night and i live thirty miles away.
i make an effort to clean my local beach all year round and like nothing more than recking the nets that people put out to kill everything and quite possibly harm my children, so i hope you can appreciate how people might feel about selling fish for any reasons and if you needed tackle that badly i would be more than happy to drive down and give you some of the stuff that my daughter and i have dragged up from the bottom of ringstead. we could hit slapton then could we not. sorry if you got offended but i do think you should find out if you are catching in a nursery area. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am very sorry if i have offended anybody. It was not my nature to do that. I too respect the sport of fishing and the fish we catch. I am going to my local tackle shop on friday with two of my friends so i will enquire about the area i hope to fish. I will also try to make a trip down there to check the area out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
WELL DONE IAN LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE MAY CONVERTED HIM ..

JUST ONE SMALL POINT WHEN YOU USE TO CARP FISH DID YOU EVER TRY TO SELL ANY OF YOUR CATCH OR MOVE THEM TO OTHER WATERS?:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am really hoping that was not a serious question but will answer it as if it were. No, i did not. I know as well as any angler that freshwater fish (most) are not to be moved or taken from their homes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
sorry if i offended m8 but i had alot to do with the coarse angling too many years to think about and some of the things i have witnessed are beyond belief again sorry but i had to ask.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
As the actress said it's all about length, not weight! You cannot take a Bass of less than 30cm and that changes (upwards !!!!) in some places which are considered NURSERY AREAS. Many of us consider that all school Bass should be returned despite their imaculate taste. If anything very large fish which are beyond Breeding age (know how they feel!!) might be more appropriate for keeping although the taste deteriorates as well as they get older. As Morrisons is/are now selling smaller Bass than that because they have been farmed it may well be that I might break my fast and have one! Seriously lads how poor are we that we have to sacrifice the future of our sport to make a few extra bob. Consider having one less pint/packet of fags/tin of caviar/copy of the SUN instead!

Don't be the one who knows how he should behave but can't resist the lure of quick opportunist cash. The Swellies in the Menai Straits had quite a head of Mullet a few years ago. Then some lads came in with a lobstering business (fine!) BUT they realised that the local Chinese Restaurants would buy Mullet. Try looking for a Mullet to stalk now! They killed the goose that laid the golden egg because they were greedy! Oh and of course they've gone away now just like the mullet. I wonder if they've found some more children to take sweets from?

Don't be 'SELL-fish'

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
poor bugger, he only asked what he thought was a serious Q and we hammered him. don't worry angleman, we are all very friendly on these forums and you do get serious help and advice, you also get a lot of stick!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know, i think you're all right. Maybe this whole profit idea was SELL-fish (nice). Oh, but i am interested in some of the things fizz has seen. the worst i've seen is a bloke catching a roach and using it for pike fishing. keep me posted fizz. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts