World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone looking to catch a thornback or two this weekend may wish consider Minnis bay. I fished a club comp there last night and out of 15 of us 9 Thornbacks were weighed in the winner had 3 and the second 2 the average size was 5-6 pound the biggest one was 3.57k.g. It was a very small tide last night and I reckon the fishing should get better as the tides get bigger. The best area was the basin which is a 20 minute walk from the seafront but last nights results again proved its worth the walk. I think the best bait was crab.
I had 2 flounders which managed to swallow whole crabs nearest I got to a ray was a tremendous bite which went away. The winner is a big caster but the guy who had 2 next to me was only casting 60 yards or so. As far as I am aware all the rays were caught after dark.
Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone looking to catch a thornback or two this weekend may wish consider Minnis bay. I fished a club comp there last night and out of 15 of us 9 Thornbacks were weighed in the winner had 3 and the second 2 the average size was 5-6 pound the biggest one was 3.57k.g. It was a very small tide last night and I reckon the fishing should get better as the tides get bigger. The best area was the basin which is a 20 minute walk from the seafront but last nights results again proved its worth the walk. I think the best bait was crab.
I had 2 flounders which managed to swallow whole crabs nearest I got to a ray was a tremendous bite which went away. The winner is a big caster but the guy who had 2 next to me was only casting 60 yards or so. As far as I am aware all the rays were caught after dark.
Dave

That is good news....I'm down there saturday..

you say big casters..How far out do you need to get for the rays?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen them caught as close in as 30 yards out, The seabed he is very flat sand which goes out for hundreds of yards on the big tides so it doesnt get much deeped no matter how far you can cast. I would say 60-80 yards gives you every chance. I would suggest experimenting with different distances.
Best of Luck Saturday.
Dave

·
Registered
271 Posts
Going to give minnis a bash this saturday night, any reports or tips on bait and terminal tackle, fingers crossed there are a few thornies about eh?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i am down your way next week at manston, still confused were minis bay is, is it the bay between ramsgate ferry terminal and sandwich

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to give minnis a bash this saturday night, any reports or tips on bait and terminal tackle, fingers crossed there are a few thornies about eh?
Sat eve is a good tide your best chance will be after dark after high water when the tide runs west to east. If you are targeting the rays I would use two hooks no smaller than 2o one with peeler and the other with medium size amoo sandeel.
The main tip is to make sure you walk up to the basin towards reculver which is about a 20 min walk For my money this is the best area.
Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
299 Posts
i am down your way next week at manston, still confused were minis bay is, is it the bay between ramsgate ferry terminal and sandwich
Down for some more training hogster ? The way you go to Manston you would miss it. Coming off the thanet way I guess you would take the road straight ahead for the airport/ramsgate.

At this point take the first exit to Margate and follow the road along the dual carriage way towards Birchington. The dual carriageway ends after about a mile or so and you approach Birchington up a steep hill and as you get to the top of that hill you hit the 30 speed signs. follow road ahead and at the roundabout turn left for Minnis Bay (tis signposted).

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i've not heard of many rays atm from minnis. heard of alot from the 10th green area of sandwich/ deal. i'll be going there on sunday night with some mates, and maybe a couple of hours on sat eve (if it's not too packed).

if you want directions, bait and/ or local info then pop into the fishing shop i run on sat (in ramsgate). i'll even buy you a cuppa.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
are i know now were you mean, yes i remeber now pegweel bay near the power station. so minis west of margate, may take my stuff i dont no yet.

essexboy im on my comunity fire saftey course, but i guess the beer may get in the way lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts