World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

as it was a really nice day, my partner and I went to Minnis with the inflatable dinghy to (a) try it out and (b) try fishing from it.

I'm not sure if this should be in the boat section but as it is only a dinghy and we went from the beach (as well as local interest in this mark) I thought here would be fine.

We went out from the slipway at Minnis probably no more than 600 yards and anchored in 12ft of water.

I was the first to catch something, a doggie on squid. This was followed by my partner Corrie with another doggie but on frozen sandeel.

Corrie then said she had a twitch on her rod then it bent right over and she was into her first ever thornback.

Shortly after releasing her one I caught my first ever thornie too :)

We then had more doggies...

Then Corrie caught 2 more thornies, the largest going just over 5.5lbs

I had one more thornie before the crabs started nicking the bait

We decided that we had really enjoyed our morning afloat and it was time to head back in and have some lunch.
The water was flat calm with very light wind and really warm when the sun came out from behind the clouds.

We got back to the beach about 13:30 and packed everything into the car and came home to get ready for our beach session later this evening (now you know why it said part one in the title).
Corrie has been buzzing since we got back and can't stop talking about how excited she is having caught something decent for a change.
5.5lbs is her largest fish ever and no doubt the pictures will be e-mailed to her sisters out in the USA very shortly.

Just out of interest I caught all my fish on squid and Corrie had all hers on frozen sandeel.

I hope the pictures are ok as I only had my phone with me.

Malcolm.

ps. I never realised how spikey thornbacks were....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice report Malcolm, glad to see ya both got some nice fish.

Pictures are good as well from a phone cam :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
good one ya, nice to see a ray or two!! i'm looking at the kayak ad in this months total sea fishing...... think that would be brillint catching a ray from one of them!!

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Thanks creedy..

We are meeting Whopper by the slipway about 7pm.
Right im well up for it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive got half a dozen herring some squid and a score of lug for good measure! I want to go now!! Right wheres Malcolms phone number:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
i bet i know where creedy is going :0)

good luck tonight mate hope you get one, i'd love to come along but wouldnt get back till way after my bedtime:0(
btw, if deano gets one say its down to the lucky reel i sold him, not skill!!! haha!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
good one ya, nice to see a ray or two!! i'm looking at the kayak ad in this months total sea fishing...... think that would be brillint catching a ray from one of them!!
We did think about one of those but went for the dinghy (avon rover 3.1) with a 6hp outboard to save rowing it and also we can have non fishing trips with the kids as well, plus a bit more room in it for two of us.
It only took about 10 mins from taking it out of the car to having it in the water.

The only thing I will probably get for it is a set of bolt on launching wheels for places like Minnis when the tide is a fair way out.

Might try an early morning launch from Sandwich bay next time.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
FANTASTIC ,well it definatly works then the dinghy, right im gonna consider buying one ,how easy and comftable was it fishing with two? and was it not two much trouble unhooking the fish?,,,,,,,sorry so many questions

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
FANTASTIC ,well it definatly works then the dinghy, right im gonna consider buying one ,how easy and comftable was it fishing with two? and was it not two much trouble unhooking the fish?,,,,,,,sorry so many questions
Hi mate, it was very comfortable but would not have more than two fishing from it even though it is rated for 5 persons.
Our one has 2 solid thwart seats and that made it better. I would not try fishing from it in anything but calm conditions as if it were to roll a bit there isn't much to stop you falling out.
Safety has to be top of your list and although we were only a few hundred yards off the beach we still had lifejackets, flares, fire extingusher and first aid kit. We took the minimum tackle with us and I think we can scale that amount down to give us the maximum amount of room in the dinghy.

As for unhooking the fish...

Being very close to the water and not having to lean over the side to reach them it was easier than I thought it would be.
I did mean to take a pic of the dinghy with everything in it but as soon as it was in the water we were off fishing :)

Malcolm.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Nice one Malcolm,glad you both got amongst the fish....I can see a bigger boat being bought now very soon!!

Ron
I can see me being nagged into getting one as well Ron..

I think we will stick with this as we wanted something that we didn't have to be limited to launching from a slipway and there are quite a few beaches round the Thanet area we can launch from as well as Sandwich Bay & Deal. As a trip will probably only be 2 or 3 hours at the most this seemed the best option, plus we can just take the kids down the beach in the summer and have a little play in it. I wonder how good they will be at rowing......

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Exellent info monkton lad,,,,yes safety is paramount and if i am to get it i will have all that you mention,,,may get a mate to go halfs with me who drives as well,if you have time could you pm me ,as to how much the whole ca boodle would cost, cheers mate

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
well had a chat to day and my mates got a small out board , life jackets,so ive brought a copy of BOATS N OUTBOARDS.......and am looking at the dinghys,,,some good prices,,,,,,won t be to long and hopfully be bobbing along ,,only in the safest weather and not to far out tho

1 - 16 of 16 Posts