World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

well as my partner has gone away to a dog show for the weekend (she took one of the dogs before anyone says anything), I decided that as the weather forecast was good, I would take the inflatable out on my own for a change (only the second time ever) so at least I had loads of room to stretch my legs.

I launched at Minnis Bay around 10:00ish (tide going out) and found the dreaded weed right from the start.
Having got the inflatable off the launching trolley and anchored, I dragged out half the seaweed in the thames estuary with it. Great, something to clean off later!

I returned the trolley to it's trailer, parked the car 100 yards down the road as it was already busy there, and walked back to where I had anchored. The wind was fresher than I had hoped for, plus there was a bit of a short chop on the water. This made going out a bit hairy, especially as my forward ballast was in Amersham.

Once I had arrived at my mark and dropped anchor, the inflatable started slapping about like a slappy thing on national slapping day. I decided to sit it out as 1) I was already there and 2) as the tide was still dropping, I wasn't going to drag the boat in from that far out on my own.

After a couple of hours the wind changed then dropped and the sea went like a mirror.
Up until now I hadn't had a bite and this continued to be the case for a lot longer.
Every now and then the whitebait would boil on the surface near the boat so I would try plugs, spinners, and everything else I had, but with no success.

Just when I thought a blank was going to be the order of the day I caught the worlds' smallest mackerel on a 4/0 circle hook.. Beats me how it got it in it's mouth and it nicked my shrimp too..

I found that if you hold it 2" from the lens on my phone, it looks bigger..

I don't think I can have it added to the southeast specimen list as there were no witnesses..
Poor quality pic due to me smashing the screen on the phone (so I was guessing what I was taking) and also the lens got scratched.

I pulled the anchor up at 17:00 and headed back in. At least by now the water was upto the slipway making recovery easier.
Got home, washed everything off, flushed the engine so it's all ready to go out again.

I was at least pleased with my new towing vehicle.. 1.7 D corsa van. Ideal for fishing and towing the inflatable, plus a much better turning circle than a shogun.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Nice report Malcolm :thumbs:

Might have been worth leaving that joey on the 4/0 and putting it back out for a Bass.

Alan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice report Malcolm :thumbs:

Might have been worth leaving that joey on the 4/0 and putting it back out for a Bass.

Alan
Funny that you say that :)

While I was doing that, a couple of seagulls tried diving for it but they missed it.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Good You Got Out Mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,it Looks Calmer Then Friday There,,,,,,,,,,but Then Again With The Rising Tide It Started To Flatten Off Friday So Was Nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cracking Wk End Weather ,id Go Out To Mo Given Half The Chance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well our club has the juniors comp tomorrow.. Now I have to try and pass myself off as a 15 year old.

Actually if the fishing is as good as today then I will just go to the bbq in the afternoon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Clive,

yes I will be there with a couple of the kids (well it saves me cooking dinner for them).

The weed was a nightmare at first but once the tide turned it did go away. It was actually hard work dragging the launching trolley through it. There was a big bulldozer at the top of the slip when I arrived, so it looked like they had moved some of it away, although someone said the just moved it from the slipway side to the paddling pool side of that groyne..

I remember going down Epple Bay last year with Corrie and there was loads, upto 3ft deep in places and stinking.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck Malcolm, although I bet it is still nice to get out. Also, it makes me feel better about my normally useless sessions. :thumbs:
Geoff

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Hi Clive,

yes I will be there with a couple of the kids (well it saves me cooking dinner for them).

The weed was a nightmare at first but once the tide turned it did go away. It was actually hard work dragging the launching trolley through it. There was a big bulldozer at the top of the slip when I arrived, so it looked like they had moved some of it away, although someone said the just moved it from the slipway side to the paddling pool side of that groyne..

I remember going down Epple Bay last year with Corrie and there was loads, upto 3ft deep in places and stinking.

Malcolm.[/QThat dam weed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you be right about trying to pull the boat out,,,,,,,,,,,,i was very smelly after getting out as well

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just been on the local news about the weed at Minnis..

There is new legislation that prevents them from removing the weed so all they can do is shove it out to sea now (and wait for it all to come back on the next tide).

So much for a blue flag beach :hammer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts