World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Miss Molly and my regular crewman Jeff (aka Shipwreck) out for an all dayer Friday and it was a reasonable day. Plan was to pin a few wrecks after snakes then finish the day with a spot of wrecking on the drift.

Left Rye Harbour at 7am and was greeted with a flat calm sea for once!.
1st stop was a cluster of inshore wrecks i had to pass on the way out so tried for a few Bass, but no good, just 5 small Codling upto 7lb. Next stop a wreck i know holds plenty of Eels so down went the pin. After 20 mins the reel starts off and i am into what feels like a strap. Turns out to be a nice little Ling, around the 12/13lb mark and quite rare these days inshore off Rye. Gave this mark another hour or so but the wind was picking up and becoming quite variable and it was hard to present the Eel baits where i wanted them so retreived the anchor for about the 3rd time in 30 min and decided to punch out and along another 14 miles to one of my old faithful marks i have not visited for a while.

Wind was a force 3 Westerly and beginning to pick up a bit and so was the sea but Miss Molly was quite happy punching into it at 23Kts without much fuss.
Arrived at our destination approx 25NM from Rye and began hitting a fish a drift constantly. Most were Cod around the 7/8lb mark (most were returned if undamaged/blown) but we also managed quite a few Doubles upto 12lb aswell as several Pollock again upto around 12lb. I lost a teriffic Pollock which had blown, and simply slipped off the hook and drifted away 10ft under the boat, this fish was by far the biggest of the day typical!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew Greg (Ospreyman) was lurking around so gave him a call on channel 8 and we met up for a quick chat and hes now got a new mark aswell! Nice meeting you Greg, love the boat.

Wind had now swung round to the East force 3 so once again Miss Molly had to punch into it head first going back this time, and she did with minimum fuss as usual.

Said our goodbyes to Greg after a few tandem drifts with him and headed home to Rye Harbour for a washdown and filleting session. Not a bad day at all and it felt great being at Sea again after almost a month. Rob

G

·
Lucky you getting out Rob. I wish I had taken you up on your invite as I did not manage to get out at all yesterday. I spent far too long trying to fit the new parts to the trailer and had to get back for work.
Glad you managed a few fish and hope to catch up with you soon.

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
Glad you had a good time of it.
How did you rate Rye Harbour slip for launch and recovery ?
Might be off up to spie out some more Essex slips on the BSA a bit later on.
Cheers,
Davey.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you had a good time of it.
How did you rate Rye Harbour slip for launch and recovery ?
Might be off up to spie out some more Essex slips on the BSA a bit later on.
Cheers,
Davey.
Hi Dave, i dont use the slip much nowdays as my current boats berthed in Rye Harbour permanently.

I have used it before tho and its fine, not to steep but it does get a bit congested weekends and the tourists like to gather in little groups on it waffling away blissfully unaware that its a working slip and people are trying to back their trailors down and they are standing in the way!

Theres a guy there (Henk at Rye Harbour Marine) with a tractor who will launch and retreive you for £5 and theres a freshwater tap at the top of the slip for your engine flush/washdown. I would take your own hose tho as the one thats on the tap there keeps gettin nicked!

You can get away approx 3 hrs before hi water and retrieve upto around 3.5 hrs after hi on average tides. Rob.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yet another cracking day Rob,u are lucky in your area and obviously u are a skillful skipper
cheers Nigel

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yet another cracking day Rob,u are lucky in your area and obviously u are a skillful skipper
cheers Nigel
Thanks for that Nigel but i am more "Jammy" than skilfull , as i am sure anybody who has crewed for me will be only to quick to tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
Hi Dave, i dont use the slip much nowdays as my current boats berthed in Rye Harbour permanently.

I have used it before tho and its fine, not to steep but it does get a bit congested weekends and the tourists like to gather in little groups on it waffling away blissfully unaware that its a working slip and people are trying to back their trailors down and they are standing in the way!

Theres a guy there (Henk at Rye Harbour Marine) with a tractor who will launch and retreive you for £5 and theres a freshwater tap at the top of the slip for your engine flush/washdown. I would take your own hose tho as the one thats on the tap there keeps gettin nicked!

You can get away approx 3 hrs before hi water and retrieve upto around 3.5 hrs after hi on average tides. Rob.
That sounds good enough to me.
Blatted down to Two-Tree Island on the BSA today, and saw a magnificent , gently sloping concrete ramp that gave a launch into really sheltered waters about half or three quarters of a mile gentle steam from the Thames proper.
All good stuff, except that I gave the inside of my ankle joint a massive belt on the footrest bolt when kickstarting .
It still hurt like hell,even through an ex- Bundeswehr boot.
Heigh-ho.
Now I know that Hank is Henk , I understand that he is Dutch,if you see what I mean.
Cheers,
Davey.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
rob
if you are "jammy" please could i be the toast!
from what i saw you and jeff was catching a fish a drift, once you went for home and i stopped worrrying about gear and hitting you and the plotter settled down so did i, that tells me that you know where to go. its an area of sea i have never been in , but as a direction that is easy from eastbourne i have a mental note to explore more rather than bashing into swerlies all the time, will expolre some of the wrecks in that area and will share them with you if i find some good ones, many thanks for a cracking hours sport, (and a top up of the freezer)
greg

ps
white sidewinders took all my fish, put them on for the cod but the pollack took one as well, so much for black and red

1 - 10 of 10 Posts