World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you could help, i was fishing the solent last night to try for a few hounds. I was using a pulley rig with a size 4/0 hook and peeler crab. I had 5 bites where the rod tapped a couple of times then bent double nearly coming off the stand. This then dropped back and went slack, i wound down to the weight which had been moved a good 10-20 yards to find nothing just an empty hook.

Was wondering if you could suggest anything i could do to help the hookup or was this just unlucky??

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not sure there, just make sure your hooks are well exposed and not masked by the bait, Do you use a pennel rig? if not try a pennel set up.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't tell Pompeyboy but, the same thing was happening to him last night.

We were fishing Haslar wall, he was using pulley rigs, 4/0 hooks, fresh peeler wrapped onto the hook with elastic. 5 minutes after we got there he had a massive bite then nothing. Slack line, rat a tat tat, almost bonced off the rest, and he was fuming :giveup: .

During the course of the eveing this happened a few times, much to my amusement. He even sat beside his rod wating to strike after almost 2 minutes of bites, only to have to reach for my rod, when bang, a good common smoothhound just over 2lbs. He struck for me passed it over and I reeled the beast in.

I had a rather long silver eel too and the guys we were fishing with had a doggie and eel too. Pompeyboy would not change his 4/0 for nothing and stated that he always used this for smut hunting.

Me, I always stick to 2/0 for smoothies and bass. I never hide the barb nor the tip of the hook and allow the bait to be moved up and down the shank as if moving a slp knot up and down the line.

Hope this helps and brings a little reassurance to someone who also missed bites.

Regards
Ivor

G

·
Beware the Spider Crab. The awesome bite it gives makes you believe you have a whopper attached rather than a watery and spidery catch.

·
Registered
872 Posts
bloody missed bites:giveup: i had a few regarding the set-up i have always used the same set-up and never had any probs but last night:help: plenty of bites like ivor said but no fish for me but at least i struck one for ivor :)

G

·
If you constantly miss blinding bites with mega rattles and rod simply being pulled steadily down hard then you are getting Spider'd

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you constantly miss blinding bites with mega rattles and rod simply being pulled steadily down hard then you are getting Spider'd
nah m8y bait was coming bac untouched and a few nights ago when i fished the bloody things was leaving my hook with just a bit of bait elastic on it but you never know,but there was a lot of eels about(the mystery continues):unsure:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sorry, that was one thing that I forgot in my original post.

Even with those bites, the bait was coming back untouched as PB said.

In addition, the spidercrab favourite (in my experience after dragging a fair few in), Sandeel, was not touched all night and the hooks of all those fishing remained intact.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I was wondering if you could help, i was fishing the solent last night to try for a few hounds. I was using a pulley rig with a size 4/0 hook and peeler crab. I had 5 bites where the rod tapped a couple of times then bent double nearly coming off the stand. This then dropped back and went slack, i wound down to the weight which had been moved a good 10-20 yards to find nothing just an empty hook.

Was wondering if you could suggest anything i could do to help the hookup or was this just unlucky??
Were you using grip leads?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Try down sizing your hooks a bit. Size 3/0s will probably help or even slightly smaller.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Smaller hooks, smaller baits, until you hook whatever it is. If bait coming back un-touched, then it aint a bite. Something swimming into your line perhaps? Ditch the pulley rig and use a fixed paternoster and a grip lead. DVice is ok, but the only flaw I can find is that if you use a standard Gemini screw on grip, it does not hold. The tube is too wide, and the wire to the lead too long.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The mouths of these fish can quite easily accommodate a 6.0 so it may not be your hook size unless of course you are useing to small a hook.
The only thing that catches or secures you a fish is the hook and it needs to be very sharp so make sure that you use SHARPhooks also I find that the longer shank hook is preferable.
Now Smoothhounds are bottom feeding fish (usually), thats why crab is so successful for bait, crabs live on the seabed and that is where your baited hook should be: not kiteing up in the water on a Pennell rig if the tide is running fast as that will just be a snatch bite as the fish passes and that may be your problem?

Good luck
lighty

·
Registered
489 Posts
Could be bream ? They give a rod-yanking bite that can look like a much larger fish, they sometimes pull the bait and let go and you can't take them with a big hook.

G

·
Spider crab won't take off at 100mph like a smoothie, but you will be surprised just how hard they will wander off and not let go until you strike and drag it away from them. It is easily enough to pull a rod of a rest like an Ian Golds or a light rod over the gunnels of a boat....
...Definitely not silly H.A., it's fact, I've watched it on many a occassion.

However, the bait coming back intact does suggest something rather greedy and eyes bigger than it's belly is having a go and so I have to agree wholeheatedly with H.A. about it being baby Smoothies, probably the small immature male fish.

You'll find this right through the fishy world. The tiddlers are often very much more aggressive takers than the decent size fish and small smoothies to about 8lb, Tope to about 20lb and strap Congers around 15lb will all smash into a bait hard.

The bigger fish seem to learn to "test the water" first and aren't normally competing in such big numbers as the pack fish.

So, I stand corrected about the Spiders as I hadn't seen that the bait wasn't being looked at. However next time you do get that rat a tap tap, give a Spider the opportunity and it will give you slack line or pull the rod over.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts