World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20170729_221155.jpg
Hi, just been fishing in Skye and caught a 1lb 12oz Cuckoo Wrasse at Rubha Hunish. I put it back alive as it was too cute to bang on the head.
I was alone on the point, but was wondering if a Scottish fish can be witnessed alive then returned and the record claimed?

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
View attachment 907193 Hi, just been fishing in Skye and caught a 1lb 12oz Cuckoo Wrasse at Rubha Hunish. I put it back alive as it was too cute to bang on the head.
I was alone on the point, but was wondering if a Scottish fish can be witnessed alive then returned and the record claimed?
:) You should have claimed the record as thousands of wrasse are being caught on the south coast and shipped to Scotland to keep the lice off the farmed salmon and they don't live long. What's one Scottish wrasse compared to the thousands they are killing. :(

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Cracking coloured female, well done!
Unfortunately I think you would have to kill it to claim it, but I would have released it too.
Although you've not got a piece of paper with your name on it, you have the knowledge that you have the unoffcial record till someone beats it.
Nearly 14 year old female, probably full of roe, photo and memories would be good enough for me, well done again.

Cheers Willie

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks Willie, some beautiful fish there, just took one pollack home.
20170707_184137.jpg
Also from Hunish last month, and sadly came up with its swim bladder distended. It is so deep there!
Nowhere near the size of your beauty. Well returned.. I had a male out at Neist a few years ago just short of the Scottish record and that went back too

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
:( No but we shouldn't feel guilty over one fish. :(
Problem is, every one thinks like that, about everything.
"What's one more plastic bottle", or "what's one more bag of dog shite hanging on this tree"!

Good on the poster, I say.

Rather than thinking, "just my one won't make a difference" we would be better thinking "am I taking the last one?"
We read about people killing the last dodo and wonder why the hell they did it, then we go about doing it ourselves, en masse.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
:) You should have claimed the record as thousands of wrasse are being caught on the south coast and shipped to Scotland to keep the lice off the farmed salmon and they don't live long. What's one Scottish wrasse compared to the thousands they are killing. :(
Let's not lower ourselves to their level! Well done for catching and releasing such a beautiful fish!

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
Let's not lower ourselves to their level! Well done for catching and releasing such a beautiful fish!
:) I don't think one fish to claim a record is lowering ourselves to their level, just saying that if you need to kill a fish to claim a record, as you do in Scotland, there's no need to feel guilty about it. :)

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,554 Posts
For the pot or for a record, a knock on the head is what it gets.
Or, the way records are claimed needs to be changed.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
For the pot or for a record, a knock on the head is what it gets.
Or, the way records are claimed needs to be changed.
The way they r claimed needs to be changed. I'm sure with video footage of weighing or measuring or both with as many detailed photos and even a witness should be good enough

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
The way they r claimed needs to be changed. I'm sure with video footage of weighing or measuring or both with as many detailed photos and even a witness should be good enough
:) You don't need to kill the fish in England as long as you can identify it from photos, it's only in Scotland that they require the body and as I've already said, it's only one fish. :)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Trouble is us anglers have a habit of thinking 6 inches is 9 and 100 yards is 300.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Had a 23lb Huss on the boat a few years ago, photographed and released. No record claimed plenty of goodies from fishing magazines and Scottish newspapers.....that'll do for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts