World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of the longer serving inmates on here will remember the original saga :D but this year, before the bass season starts, I'm determined to finally beat my long standing thornback PB of a measly 5lb 10z.

With this in mind, last night saw me take advantage of an all too rare lull in the gale force south westerlies and head to Ty Croes for my first ray hunt of 2016, and hopefully an encounter with one of the big girls who frequent the area at this time of year ;).

Typically for a Thursday night the winds were replaced by heavy rain :rolleyes: and for the first 2 hours of the session all I could do was wrap up against the elements and battle my way through it, while trying to remain upright on the slippery rocks :(. Eventually the rain did stop but sadly the fishing didn't improve and I had to make do with a steady stream of dogs and whiting before I called it quits at 00:30.

Never mind though, it's early days yet and if the winds ever drop again I'll be back to continue with my mission, impossible or not o_O.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Bad luck on not catching your target species but a steady stream of dogs and whiting will do for this time of year. I'm sure that if you persevere you'll get into a double figure thornie soon enough. Well done for sticking it out by the way. 2 hours of heavy rain would probably have sent me home after about 1 hour. Mind you I only live a very short distance from the sea.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hard luck Andy:(, i have fished there myself three times this year and the same as you whiting and dogs.

Reactions: andy1965

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm not sure we're doing you any favours by encouraging you to go out fishing in weather like last night's. It was bad enough scurrying to the shed.

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Well done for sticking it out, your Pb will come but things are a rather all over the shop at the moment. All we need is a dry spell for a week or so light winds OOOp's got carried away then. It has to improve at some point.:)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You know mate I stand outside in my shed having on a *** on a Thursday night freezing my tits of as the wind blows and rain lashes down and it sometimes crosses my mind you might be out and about but I normally think no way surely not - then the next day I see your report! Never mind the rays, the real season starts soon!!!! :):):)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Unlucky Andy.

Have you thought of trying a lot closer to home? Pen and Llanfairfechan throw up some good Thornies at this time of year, especially on big tides.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Unlucky on you PB Thornback mission but if it was that easy then you would soon get bored and could not call it a mission and we all like to read about your missions and wait in eager anticipation every week for the result in your weekly update . Good luck on your next quest ;-)

Reactions: andy1965

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers all, unfortunately it's a return to south westerlies later this week so I'll have to find something else to go after but I'll be back after the rays soon enough ;).

I'm not sure we're doing you any favours by encouraging you to go out fishing in weather like last night's. It was bad enough scurrying to the shed.
You know mate I stand outside in my shed having on a *** on a Thursday night freezing my tits of as the wind blows and rain lashes down and it sometimes crosses my mind you might be out and about but I normally think no way surely not - then the next day I see your report! Never mind the rays, the real season starts soon!!!! :):):)
Believe it or not, I don't actually need any encouragement to head out in all weathers :D, though it's not too long before the real season kicks off I'd rather be out battling the elements than sitting at home and climbing the walls as I do battle with the demons of the dreaded cabin fever! :eek:

Unlucky Andy.

Have you thought of trying a lot closer to home? Pen and Llanfairfechan throw up some good Thornies at this time of year, especially on big tides.
There have been a few thornies caught here over the last couple of months Headwyn but not in the numbers they used to show so it's too much of a long shot for me. I've never caught a ray locally in 40 years of fishing Pen beach and I've only seen 2 caught so though my record at Ty Croes isn't much better I still feel a lot more confident fishing there :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.