World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was anticipating writing a long report based on a days sharking..... I had new camera batteries and everything.

I was invited aboard Team Shed with Dean and Steve and the chosen target was Porbeagle. Last night I set about my preparation of sorting out tackle and I was as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve. The guys have had numerous est 300lb+ fish in the past and have had to chuck anchor and chase them about the place so who knows what was in store. Whatever it was I hoped to share it with you.

We got down to the harbour and it was clear that the swell had hit early. It was a really strong groundswell with wave faces at 6-7ft (surfers ft) and the big uns were closing out the bay. As far as Magicseaweed goes with swell predictions I add 2ft (surfing feet again) and -12 hours and that's about right for Bude everytime. It's wrong but predictably so if you know what I mean.
So we watched it for a while with a few of the other lads who had aborted earlier.
As the tide turned the lulls became far more defined and we were sucked out to the boat in the tender by the fast evacuating tide.

Summerleaze is a wide bay inshore at the height of the tide but the opening off barrel rock is very narrow indeed. A river runs through the moorings and as the tide drops there is a vast amount of water trying to funnel through the gap. It is so very dangerous to bathers who are whisked out in an instant if in the rivermouth.

I learned to surf here some 27 years ago so and Dean and Steve before me and so we have nothing but respect for the conditions and the shallow sand bars that guard the entrance to the bay.

We threw the moorings and sat tight to chapel rock. Steve climbed onto the side and roof to watch for the sets. Dean was at the helm awaiting the shout to go.

"Ready????"

"No mate.... set coming"

In fact the set took 3 or so minutes to get to the barrel and we could have gone but better to err on the side of caution so we turned and sat tight awaiting the next lull as this set washed over the entrance.

"Ok mate..."

So we motored round the barrel and on out into the large swell and strong southerly.

We set about feathering maccy for the rubby dubby and although a bit rough due to the wind across the swell we were going to head to a spot in the lee of some bigger cliffs.

All 3 of us were bringing in full strings and it wasn't long before we had enough bait for the day.

We pointed towards the mark acurately titled "Shark City" on the Lowrance plotter.

Once we got there the Sountherly was whilstling over the coast and it was starting to pick up wind against tide. We dropped anchor and decided to feather a few extra fresh maccy.

I dropped straight into a pollack by accident and Dean almost instantly recognised the anchor had pulled. Even though the boat held the same position and no bait touching bottom he still notices these things instantly. :clap3:

So we had a look round and Dean said

"I'm not sure lads"

Well if there's any doubt in the skippers mind that's good enough for me. There was nowhere to run on the North Coast!!! We would be out until 8pm at the earliest and it was now 11am.

What to do??

Dean was worried I'd taken time off and he knew how excited we all were to get some Porgies on the go.

If there's ever any doubt you don't do it. We all know that. In my mind the skippers decision goes and whatever he says is law at sea. If he had any doubts then I didn't want him to be influenced in any way trying to not let us down and I think we should go back. Dean knows this anyway. And so we weighed up the options and arranged all the gear to best distribute the weight. We knew at this time although the swell would drop on the outgoing it was big enough to be breaking several waves back behind the barrel and so the liferaft was left on deck and we hammered back towards harbour with our small window of time left.

As we cut across the bay a couple of huge sets came across us and it was comforting to see. Due to the nature of the conditions this would mean a lull or certainly small sets roughly at the time we got back to the bay.

As it was we didn't need to sit off waiting and rode in through a lull.

Because of this I was able to grab the camera and get the only shots as we came back in.

It's a shame I don't have more pictures to show but discretion is the better part of valour and I'd love to do a full report another day.

It was the right decision to make for as I got back to work the wind was whipping up to F6 + gusts where I was.

Metcheck was wrong.

Magicseaweed was wrong.

Decision was right!!

Mission aborted!!!

To be continued..........

·
Registered
24,914 Posts
Shame bout that, Glad you got back safely!!!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Bad luck m8.Better to be safe,Than sorry.Hope it goes better next time.Next time take the surfboards with you.then you can get in from the boat,No paddling out though the surf:idea:.All the best marty.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a left hand reef that was going to be firing today.... and would be full of surfers from all over the south west. One of em was going to be our mate Carn who's just got his new boat but was going surfing. We though about sitting in the deep channel nearby and sending out the rubby dubby. He'd know what we were doing as well.

Might keep the crowds down a little :clap2:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Carving up on the left hand reef & getting a mouth full of rubby-dubby.Would be very funny. marty.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Yeah rubby dubby and the idea of bringing some of these within a couple of hundred yards.... :lmao:

Nice piccy !!!!...... Thats my next target for the future...
Good to hear the sensible option was made, there is always another time:clap3: !!!....that swell makes combe harbour look like a pond :blink:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Some great photos. Always better to fear the worst though. It's days like that I dust off my fly rod and find a quiet river :)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
nice puff, i like it dont argue with the captain.

:giveup::giveup:

G

·
Rubby dubby? :blink: A small yellow duck usually found in the bath, but that's wandered into the sea, or some kind of illegal weed for attracting hippy fish?

·
Registered
93 Posts
very sensable puffy:clap3:
but if things had gone pear shaped you could have got your buddies on the lifeboat to rescue you:idea:

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not gonna put em in harms way mate. :hypocrite

Knowing what a strong groundswell can do round the barrel.
(word of warning to anyone not knowing the place)

The D class has come to grief before ending up on cross rock. Anyone got a puncture repair kit???

Incidetally surfed it last night and saw 2 people wash in over the rocks. Not good!!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seen it myself. Local lads put themselves right in bother 2 years ago on purpose...

"so we could get a ride in the helicopter!!!!" :nonono:

Yes mate Lifeguards on the beaches with jet skis, rescue boards and rubber duckies (not the kind you get in the bath y-phrunts!!!).

They cover the beach 10am til 6pm I think.

G

·
Are these the self-same lifeguards that demonstrate themselves in tiny little red speedos every year?

They should go for lime green, shouldn't they, 4Fox? HA HA HA!
:roll1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts