World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through the Mitchell Reel Museum but I can't find an answer to this question. Some of the Garcia Mitchell 600 series multipliers (600, 602, 624 etc) were labelled "Captain / Mitchell" instead of the more common "Garcia / Mitchell". Does anyone know whether this was a date of manufacture related difference or perhaps a country of sale related difference or maybe some other reason. Any information would be welcome.

Garcia Mitchell - label.JPG Captain Mitchell label.JPG
NB. Quality and colours of labels are actually the same - the Captain photo is poor.

Thanks, DAVE. :g:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ABU Garcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See above link for more info..

It appears, that when Garcia dropped Mitchell, the white reels adopted the "Captain" name in place of the Garcia logo.

The Garcia link will also explain why Mitchell reels will be listed with Abu's on some ebay searches.
Hi. Yes that seems to be the root of it, thanks. It answers my date of manufacture question as the "Captain" models must all have been produced late in the reels' production history - therefore anyone buying one should know that the Captains are newer than the Garcias.

I must say though that the "Captain" label looks and sounds a bit naff compared to "Garcia" but I'm pretty sure I've worked out why they did it rather than just drop the Garcia and have "Mitchell" alone - on the "A" and "AP" models (those with the chrome rings) the left hand side plate has a slight moulded recess where the name sticker fits - so when Mitchell parted from Garcia they were still making the same side plates and needed a sticker that would still fit that recess so simply substituted the word "Captain" and made a new sticker - why they chose the word "Captain" I'm unsure unless it was to aim more at the boat reel market as, even though most of the line were casting reels, they were fast becoming dated as such. I still have a couple and still find them great for casting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts