World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a quiet night shift and a piece of surplus nylon, I made myself a Butt pad. Now I find with it in position I cannot reach the handle of the reel! Before I attack the butt end of the rod with a hacksaw with a view to shortening it by a few inches, is there anything I should take into consideration? Cheers, Tony. :mellow:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mate If your going to use it for a boat rod. lop it. if your going to use it for beach casting. don't. as it will affect your casting, I use an adapted uptider for drift fishing and cut the butt down to the same size as an ordinary down tide rod and had it re-whipped, it's the best drift rod I.ve ever had. hope this helps.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Tony

Reel seat placement should be set so that you can cast correctly so this should be your prime consideration. Assuming you are using the reel in the high position (dare I say up the butt....) jam the rodunder your armpit, with your arm extended along the rod then the centre of the reel seat should be where your thumb lands. I find that many rods sold with fixed reel seats have them set to high up the butt for casting.

If you still need to go ahead and change your set up then instead of shortening your rod you could carefully remove the reel seat (gently hacksaw around it in a spiral - take care not to cut the rod) and then araldaite a new one in place lower down the butt (or even replace with one of the new sliding reel seats). More work than simply cutting a bit off the rod but porbably a better alternative.

But if you really must then there is no harm in taking a couple of inches off the bottom of the butt with a hacksaw - I have done this on a rod and it is fine (now one of my favourites) but once it is done there is no going back....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts