World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few days in Mablethorpe this week, visiting the family. We managed 2 sessions at Moggs Eye, fishing the flood tides both on Tues and Wed evenings. Using lug tipped with razor, Tuesday produced flatties and a solitary decent whiting and on Wednesday evening we had flatties, a decent codling of about 3.5lbs AND a bass(!!) of about 2.5lbs. We were especially pleased to see the bass!! The most succesful rig was the two-hook, clipped up flattie rig with size one Aberdeens. The weather was beautiful and the sea calm. I was at peace with the world.......................................
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice 1 mate,i know exactly what u mean when its peacefull down there,im looking forward to the high tides next tues,ill be taking razors with me with all the razor shells down there its got to be a natural bait,but wud be interested to hear the best way to bait them up never having used them before?? Cheers Nige....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Nidge! Yes I agree about the razor having to be a great natural bait. There were thousands of them, still alive and washed out of their burrows, after the gale force northerlies a few weeks ago. The fish and the gulls must have had a feast. The empty shells, up to eight/nine inches long are everywhere. However, what was interesting is that the cod I had on Tuesday from Moggs was full of shrimp!! Anyway back to the razor. To answer your question we were using a bit (2 inches) of razor to tip of a single lugworm. A bit of bait elastic around the razor seemed to hold it altogether. This rig, with its size one hook and three foot trace clipped up, seemed to worked best and definitely on the day caught the most. We were also using pennel pulley cod rigs with 3/0s on two other rods. On these I used half a razor to tip off the lug, once again using bait elastic to tie it down. This looked great and quite appetising, so I thought, but the fish had other ideas!!!!!!
Best of luck for next Tuesday.........................AND..............................
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Paul thanks for the tip,so presume u use the first 2 inches of the razor and hook it thru the foot and wrap the remainder around the shank of the hook or do u leave flapping???

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Nidge! Some bits were flapping sometimes they weren't!! As you say the foot is the strongest bit and is also the bit I like to get my hands on first! I imagine it would stay on the hook all by itself.
This site in its section on "Baits and Tackle" contains a really useful and informative page about the Razor. I took a look yesterday!! I also think you will find that (some) tackle shops sell frozen razor. I believe we got some once upon a time from the shop in Ingoldmells. I know my local shop here in Suffolk keeps a few packs!! They seem a bit pricey, however you should get 10/12 pieces out of 4 razors. Plenty for tipping-off.
Bigpaul - thanks for the compliment!! Best Wishes ............and .....................
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts