World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,we in Mojacar have started a fishing club,Mojacar Angling Club (MAC).A mixture of members enjoying regular boat trips,we have four members with their own boats and some more on the way.

Also regular beachfishing get togethers especially on a Sunday late afternoon/evening outside the Beachcomber Bar on Mojacar Playa.(Beach)

A few of our members are from the Albox/Arboleas area and this is quite close to "Baza Lakes" fantastic fishing for big Carp and Catfish,Barble and Trout.Regular trips there are organised and MAC intends organising a competition day out there early August.

The next MAC meeting combined with a beach fishing contest is on 8th July.We are fishing outside the Beachcomber.Book in by 5pm at the Beachcomber and fish from 5.30pm to 9.30pm Weigh in.For further deatils telephone,John 0034 950 473 099.

We have Andalucian fishing license forms at the Beachcomber and I will be happy to translate and help fill them in.(You will need your passport). I will also advise where to obtain and pay for the license.

I'll try to keep everyone upto date on local fishing reports ie:Tuna are being caught in the area now but they are 20km out to sea.Reasonable catches of Trigger Fish and Winged Gurnard are being brought ashore by small boats fishing inshore.

Beachfishing is not producing much at the minute although small Clever Wrasse make exceptionally good eating.

Course fishing at Baza Lakes is good and big catches of Carp,Barble and trout are being reported by our members.

John.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I for one will be keeping one eye on this Club, & the other on the BMI Baby flights from Cardiff, Oct/Nov looks good to me, get one pulled ready!
blueskip

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our member Phil from Palomares returned from a buying trip to France with a new fishing boat so I cant wait to get out with him in the near future.

Ive been out a couple of times this week on Mikes boat and caught some interesting fish,a Pargo (Snapper) http://www.mexfish.com/fish/bdparg/bdparg.htm
and a Palometa (Dart in Aussie) http://web.tcpalm.com/sports/areafish/palom.htm

Going out again tomorrow with Mike and David on Friday.

Beachfishing is still poor :mad:

The Arboleas gang say the fishing at Baza lakes is still good and getting better as the water warms.
John.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didnt get out today but hopefully tomorrow with David and Ken.Its going to be a full day with the beach fishing competition in the afternoon too.Got a quote on the mini bus for Baza Lakes,€240 for a fifteen seater and apparently he has a trailer which might be usefull for tackle etc.Up to 12 hours on a return journey basis.

Dont rely on Spanish fish restaurant owners when it comes to naming fish caught as although they were close yesterday they got it wrong and the two variaties caught were "Pompano Blanco" http://www.jcpoiret.com/bapw/index.html?page=poissons/mer/palomete.htm

And "Pandora" http://www.maltavista.net/en/list/photo/1740.html

John.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 metre waves crashing onto the beach with lots of surface weed put many anglers off fishing Mojacar Angling Club's monthly competition on 8th July in front of the Beachcomber Bar on Mojacar Playa.

Eleven anglers turned up with their tackle,one headed for home and three for some fishing at Villaricus.

Quite a number of other members turned up (Without tackle) for a chat with the seven that braved the eliments.

Only one fish (Pompano/Patomete) was landed by John from the Beachcomber who grubbed! first place.

2nd place has to be awarded to "Fish farm Bob" from Arboleas for persistance,he stayed out there on the beach until the end while the rest of us headed one by one to the bar.

Other members fishing were Dave H,Phil and John from Palomares,Craig the CA mod and Jim from Antas...........................................................

A MAC impromptu days fishing at Baza Lakes on Weds 14th July saw 8 MAC members and a couple of wives enjoying a nice day out.Len (Lenrob) from Alfiax took the pot for best fish with a 3lb Common Carp.

Congratulations goes to Barrie from Santa Maria who with a lot of expertise fished a pole to catch around 100 Mirror Carp and Barble up to 1.5lb

With some coaching from Barrie I caught around 50 of the same.

Worm Farm Bob landed around 25 fish up to 2lb no doubt teased with his secret stash of earth worms!

All MAC members caught fish including Phil and John from Palomares,Dave H from Garrucha and Jim from Antas who has a tale (No pun intended) of his own to tell.

Bob and me stayed late at the lakes and although none were caught Trout and Black Bass were seen
swimming on the surface.

Next official MAC get together is a days course fishing at Baza Lakes on Friday 12th August.Members from the Mojacar area are organising a 9 or 15 seater mini bus with trailer,leaving at 9am and will meet up with others at the BP garage in Albox for 9.45am.
At 10am we will head off in convoy to Baza Lakes arriving at 11.15am by the Spa Baths Restaurant where we will meet other members going to the lakes direct.

Its a bit off putting calling them Baza Lakes as they are at "Zujar" Take the Zujar turn off the A92N motorway and go straight through the town to the lakes.Follow the road along the lakeside (The lake will be to your left) You will see the round shaped restaurant up ahead.Take the turn left to the Baths/Restaurant and if you are not driving a skirted or low profile vehicle you can drive down the dirt track and park by the lake.Otherwise park at the restaurant and walk down.
Anyone wanting further information or if interested in a seat on the Mini Bus please get in touch with John on 0034 950 473 099.

More info is being obtained about fishing licences and fishing for Tuna and Swordfish is apparently not allowed and if caught by accident they must be returned (Yeah right! some might say) licences cover the use of two rods only although nothing says that on the licence itself.............

·
Registered
29 Posts
:confused: :confused:
Hi, John.

Tunafishing not legal ? Can we get some more info. on this ?
Anyway, hope everything is going well for C.A.C.
Still looks like 2 nd. week in August before I can "cast off"
See you all then.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Seagem,I'll get our girl Friday to ask for more details next time shes picking up licences,she was basically told the licence didnt include game fishing,ie Tuna and Swordfish and I wonder if Trout would come into that catagory? John.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Not had a great deal of success from the shoreline of Mojacar but a complete novice at sea fishing, so I fancy reverting back to the Fly rod for a while just so i can feel a fish on the end again. Brought one with me from the UK and not found anywhere to use it yet, with talk of trout on the surface do any of you think it might be worth a flick?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi John

What a surprise to see a Fishing Club in Mojacar. I am moving out on October 10th to Mojacar and wondered whether I could come along to join. Also could you please help......do you know a route from Mojacar to Baza Lakes????? if so would you please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
we are often in mojaca and are there for 3 weeks from 23rd july -13th august .my son is a keen fisherman and we are planning to buy some sea rods to leave out there can someone let me know if it better to buy out there and where? or take some out with us.we are planning to do some beach fishing can someone tell us the best places to go? .i have often seen people fishing off the rocks at garrucha is that any good? .if someone could let us know what fish are edible which can be caught?.my son loves carp fishing and i have seen the baza lakes are within distance are there some good sized fish in there? and can we hire any tackle? or do we have bring our own.if you have any events on while we are out it would be good to know so hopefully we can get some local knowledge .sorry for so many questions.????

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
corgi661 said:
Hi John

What a surprise to see a Fishing Club in Mojacar. I am moving out on October 10th to Mojacar and wondered whether I could come along to join. Also could you please help......do you know a route from Mojacar to Baza Lakes????? if so would you please let me know. Thanks
Hi Corgi,I have answered your PM and given directions and will look forward to seeing you in October if not before,John.

jacjes said:
we are often in mojaca and are there for 3 weeks from 23rd july -13th august .my son is a keen fisherman and we are planning to buy some sea rods to leave out there can someone let me know if it better to buy out there and where? or take some out with us.we are planning to do some beach fishing can someone tell us the best places to go? .i have often seen people fishing off the rocks at garrucha is that any good? .if someone could let us know what fish are edible which can be caught?.my son loves carp fishing and i have seen the baza lakes are within distance are there some good sized fish in there? and can we hire any tackle? or do we have bring our own.if you have any events on while we are out it would be good to know so hopefully we can get some local knowledge .sorry for so many questions.????
Hi jacjes,fishing tackle is expensive here so bring what you can.There is a couple of tackle shops in Garrucha,one on the beach road to Mojacar at the petrol station just as you leave Garrucha.The other is in the port itself at the end away from the trawlers.Niether shop sells much in the way of course tackle,Murcia is the nearest I know of.

Garrucha sea wall seems very popular so I presume they catch a few fish there,probably mullet.We are not catching much off the beaches at the moment and rocky areas seem to fish best.The Spanish eat just about anything they catch so give it a go!We are having a competition at Baza Lakes on the 12th August so you might want to make that.There will also be regular Wednesday fishing from now on and I will post the details shortly,John.

P.S.As far as I know there are no places to hire course tackle from but maybe the tackle shops might hire sea tackle but they speak no English.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jacjes said:
sorry i need directions myself

Hi,if you head to the motorway A7/E15 from Mojacar.I prefer to go via Turre and the Los Gallardos road as there are too many roadworks at Vera.
Go north towards Mercia and take the Albox exit.Turn left towards Albox (But keep straight on to Baza rather than bearing bright into the town.)
Its about 3/4 hour to the town of Baza from there and as you come into it you come to traffic lights where you should bear left,its sign posted Guadix I think but also the blue motorway sign A92N.Follow that road to a roundabout and take 2nd exit off to the left.Along that road turn right to Zujar.When you get into Zujar there is a roundabout.Either go straight on to the lake and Restaurant/Spa Baths.If its fishing you are looking for this is the best spot.Use sweetcorn and lots of groundbait with sweetcorn in it.
If you turn left at the roundabout and head for Pozo something? You will see a turning right to the campsite which is ok but may be busy with swimmers and pedalos but if you carry on you will arrive at the dam and some restaurants where you will see big fish on the surface.Carry on to Cuaves de Campo and turn right through the small town and carry on for 9 KM and you will come to a great part of the lake.No restaurant and probably no people,all the best and enjoy,John.

corgi661 said:
Hi jacjes, how long did it take you to get to Baza Lakes from Mojacar as a matter of interest.
The journey takes 2 hours but allow another 1/2 hour if going up to Cuaves de Campo side of the lake........

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boat fished twice this week and its useless (Or we are) Big and small Weavers and a few Wrasse. Three of us beach fished Sunday without a bite.Tuna still way out and no swordfish seen in shore yet although they are being caught by commercial fishermen.

Had better luck with Barrie (Santa Maria) on Weds at Baza Lakes.We fished the opposite side opposite the power station down the 9KM road from Cuaves de Campo.Fish took a long time to get going as fewer fish there but we caught 16 each,Mirror Carp and Barble to 2lb.We lost quite a few and I blamed the barbless hooks,Barrie says its just the way I retrieve

After chatting to a few MAC members its been decided to go course fishing on Wednesdays.Even if Im not personally going (Not much chance of that) I should know who is where and when to meet up or who to call so get in touch with me if you want to go out.

This coming Weds 27th July we are going to lakes near Lorca where there are bigger Carp,Barble and a fish called a "Karasan" looks like a silver coloured Crucian Carp.

I'm not saying exactly where the lakes are on the net as if its that good we are keeping the info for MAC members.We are leaving Mojacar at 8am and meeting others at the Antas roundabout at 8.15am in the industrial estate (Where Tucan trading is) and then meeting with more MAC members at the 553 exit of the E15/A7 motorway,this is the Hurcal Overa (North) and Santa Maria turn off.Come off and turn towards Hurcal Overa and only a little way along you will see a bit of waste ground on the right,we should all be there for 8.45am.Bring a map and the location of the lake will be given and we can go off in convoy.

The lakes are fairly well fished and fish are used to being fed with maggots (difficult to find outside of Murcia) or sweetcorn,it is neccesary to groundbait quite heavily and the fish are finicky feeders due to regular match fishing clubs going there.Light tackle is a must.

On Tuesday 26th July at 7pm "Levante Lifestyle Magazine" are coming to the Beachcomber to do an article on the Mojacar Angling Club so it would be appreciated if as many members as possible would turn up for their input and a group photo.

As MACS members are a growing band Tuesday would also be a good chance to discuss where the club goes from here.

Telephone John for any more info needed on 950 473 099 (If Im out fishing ask for my mobile number.

John.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Beachcomber_Bar_Mojacar said:
Didnt get out today but hopefully tomorrow with David and Ken.Its going to be a full day with the beach fishing competition in the afternoon too.Got a quote on the mini bus for Baza Lakes,€240 for a fifteen seater and apparently he has a trailer which might be usefull for tackle etc.Up to 12 hours on a return journey basis.

Dont rely on Spanish fish restaurant owners when it comes to naming fish caught as although they were close yesterday they got it wrong and the two variaties caught were "Pompano Blanco" http://www.jcpoiret.com/bapw/index.html?page=poissons/mer/palomete.htm

And "Pandora" http://www.maltavista.net/en/list/photo/1740.html

John.
hi,
I live up in galicia & naming/identifying fish get get quite confusing as the names change from area to area, even village to village!! the 'pandora' (pagellus erythrinus) is also known as 'breca', very similar to the far superior restaurant & christmas classic, 'besugo', but without the black mark just after the gill covers. the 'pompano blanco' must also be the 'palometa/palometón' (lichia amia), which can reach up to a 100lbs. they will attack rapalas right up to the shoreline, a real psycho-fish!! you also mentioned a pargo (pagrus pagrus) - a fantastic fish for the table & a great fighter to boot. another 'psycho' lure fish you must get down there is the anjova or talla-hams (pomatomus saltator-saltatrix), I think we call them bluefish in english. they've got a nasty set of gnashers & have to be handled with extreme care.
que haya pesca!!
Finn

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info Finn,not seen any caught but am sure Ive seen pomatomus saltator-saltatrix in Mertcadonna Supermarket,looks like a fighter,if you get down this way call and see us,John.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On Tuesday,26th July about a dozen MAC members turned up for a meeting at the Beachcomber Bar on Mojacar Playa.Discussions took place about a possible laison with AAC (Andalucian Angling Club) for fishing competitions against them or joining forces for a combined match against a Spanish Fishing club who has been pestering them for a Spanish - British match.

Regular Sunday afternoon/early evening fishing, maybe beach/Macenas rocks or Garrucha sea wall will be held.Meet at the Beachcomber 4.30pm and at 5pm we will head off somewhere depending on sea conditions.The beach in front of the Beachcomber is fishing badly at the moment so other venues will be chosen until things change.Anyone arriving late at the bar can find out where we have gone from the bar staff or ring John on his mobile.

The monthly MAC competition will be held the first Friday of each month so the September one is on 2nd.Venue yet to be decided but unless beach fishing improves a lot it's most likely to be coarse fishing.Leaving times are also likely to be early.

Mikes boat fishing trips this week have produced reasonable catches of Sea Bass and he has been told of good catches of big fish to 15 kilo from the beaches of Villaricos.(Have the Tuna moved in shore ?) Two foot long Bonitos are still in the area and are being caught from Garrucha rocks and the Indalo Hotel on Mojacar Playa.

John.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mojacar Angling Club (MAC) News

Inshore fishing on Mikes boat this week has produced only small fish but they are fairly plentiful,Wrasse,Dorada,Weavers,Flatties,Red Bream and various (Perch look-a-likes ) Rockfish.Trigger fish have not shown themselves since Mike caught a dustbin lid sized one last week.There are lots of Flying Fish being seen now which must be a good sign (We hope)

Beach fishing is still poor although some members report catches of Sea Bass,Dorada and Pompano (Dart fish) and a large Stingray from the Indalo Hotel.

Very important notice for those anglers that have "Class 1 " fishing licences from the ministry in Almeria.
It appears that "Aguas Interiors" (Interior Waters) and "Pesca Desde Tierra" (Fishing from the Land) on the licence form doesnt mean course fishing,only sea fishing from the land ie beach,rocks marina arms.Shame the Spanish woman at the ministry didnt know this when asked.The actual licence states "Licencia de Pesca Maritima de Recreo de Class 1".(Sea Fishing from the land)
"Class 2" is for boat fishing only.
"Class 3" is only available to legal charter boats.
"Class 4" is for spear fishing by snorkling (Not Aqualung)

MAC's Girl Friday has spent a few exhaustive days visiting offices in Almeria and telephoning others in many parts of Spain.
Yesterday I received my temporary Andalucian course fishing licence which should have been validated today when the fee was paid at the bank.Yesterday the bank's computer was down or the site was not working.Today it appears I am the first non Spaniard to get as far through the new maze to actually apply for one,in Almeria anyway (And possibly Andalucia).The bank's head office did not know how to process a licence without a residencia and are today putting new rules or something in place to be able to do it. The Fishing Authority will send my original Andalucian fishing licence by post to the address I gave them in a few weeks time but I will be able fish with the documents and paid receipt.

To get a licence you must provide the original and a photo copy of your passport or residencia.(Girl Friday hopes that by next week the necessity for her to show the original passport/residencia will not be necessary.) You must provide the original copy of your British fishing licence (Available at a British Post office for £23 a year) and a photo copy of it.Girl Friday has already got herself out of having to provide an official Spanish translation of this licence as is being asked of others.You must also provide an original insurance certificate for "Responsabilidad Civil Del Cazador Y Pescador Limitada Este Ultima A La Pesca Deportive Con Cana Desde Tierra Firme" I bought my insurance from a company called "Vitalico125" in Almeria and a years insurance cost €23.19.
It may be the case that if you ask your Spanish household insurance company for a quote it may not cost as much.You may be able to add it to your personal liability even.

The licence fee is €30 for 5 years and includes fishing for trout and I believe anyone 65 years or over will get a lifetime licence for free.There are lesser fees for 1 or 3 years and without trout but !!!

Girl Friday will get your licence for you for only €30 plus the licence fee or you can search through the maze of Spanish fishing departments in different parts of Almeria and try to get one for yourself.Beach and boat fishing licences are a much simpler affair and I will be happy to provide and help fill in licence forms for this or again Girl Friday will get the licence for you.For further details speak to or see John at the Beachcomber Bar on Mojacar Playa 950 473 099.

MAC's September 2nd competition will not go ahead as few members have legal licences to fish.MAC fishes every Wednesday (Course) and Sunday.(Beach) and boat fishing trips on various days during the week.The next MAC competition is on Friday 7th October (Venue to be decided).

Tuesday 22nd August three 3 MAC members went to "Todo Pesca" fishing tackle shop in El Puntal, Ctra. Espinardo Tel 968 899 000,a small town North of Murcia where the owner organised Murcia course fishing licences for us.Only a photocopy of a passport or residencia is required (Photos not now needed) plus details of Spanish address including the post code which is important.A stamped and self addressed envelope would be a good way of not having to make the return trip to pick up the licences which are ready in 15 days.Cost €36 for 5 years.65 years olds that can produce a photocopy of a Spanish Pencionista Card get a lifetime licence at a reduced rate via the tackle shop.MAC is looking into how to fast track the Murcia licence without having to wait so long.

On the way back from Murcia we checked out a nice lake at Lorca and although there are only around 8 good swims, there are big Carp and Barble and the water is up to 65 feet deep.We are going back to fish it on Wednesday 7th September after picking up our licences in Murcia.For most of MAC's members it is quicker getting to some lakes in the Murcia region than for instance Baza and Guadix so Murcia licences being easy to aquire may be worthwhile especially as MAC intends having fishing days out there regularly.

John.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mojacar Angling Club News

4 of MAC's members fishing Sunday last caught nothing from the rocks at Macenas and other than a 15 to 20lb Stingray being landed at the Indalo Hotel arm (The second big Stingray within a month) I've not heard of much else being caught in the area.

Mike on his boat out of Garrucha is still catching lots of small fish,Weavers,Flatties,Triggers,Wrasse,Dorada,Red Bream,Gurnards both Red and Brown and also a Red Snapper Scorpion Fish.He is also landing a fair few Octopus too.

Three of MAC's members fished the Lorca lake on Wednesday 7th September.The day of the storms which thankfully just about missed us.Although the lake is small with only about 8 good swims and is up to 65 feet deep,there are big fish including Carp,Barble,Pike and Zander.

Barrie from Santa Maria caught between 90 and 100 fish,Carp to 3lb and Barble to 1lb.Fishing a pole he wasn't able to play two very large fish that took off.Once his 14lb elastic was stretched to the limit his 6lb line had no chance and snapped.

I landed just 15 Carp to 1.5lb and Barble to 1lb.I fished for large fish all day using up to 2 x 20ml pellets on a hair rig and the small Carp and Barble still took them! I have learnt a lot from Barrie over the last couple of months but cant bring myself to use a pole and anyway poles are proving to be no good landing the woppers although the method hooks them well enough.I've ordered a 20 foot rod that will be used like a pole but with the added advantage of a reel attached to be able to play the big ones.(Well,you've got to be possitive havent you?)

Craig from Mojacar (Previously from Antas) caught 7 Carp to 1/2lb

We successfully picked up our Murcia fishing licences from the Murcia tackle shop and organised three other members licences for them.Due to there being few members that can legally coarse fish in Almeria or Murcia we may hold our October 7th fishing contest on the beach or more likely an arm or rocks.Please get in touch with me (John) on 950473099 for further information.

Wednesday 14th September MAC is fishing a new lake in Murcia that the tackle shop owner has recommended.

We now know for sure what is required to get both Andalucian and Murcia coarse fishing licences and I'll be happy to advise anyone that wants to be legal.Guardia in both the Granada (Including Baza and Guadix) and Murcia regions are fining people.One of MAC's members was caught without a licence and is waiting for his fine to turn up.We have also heard of not only tackle being confiscated but vehicles too and a woman was left with her two children in a car she couldn't drive when her husband was carted off to a police station.

Tight Lines,John.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts