World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Monknash after work yesterday. I debated all day whether to go or not as the wind was pretty stiff all day. Spoke to a couple of lads coming back of the beach for the afternoon low and thay had a few small small-eyeds and reported that someone who fished wick ledges had had a 5-6lb bass and double figure smalleyed. So that clinched it, I was off.
Got down to the beach 2 1/2 hours before high and just managed to get round the point before access was cut off by the tide, walked the shingle beach to Wick ledges and set up one rod to start as the wind was still whipping. High tide at 7.47pm and had numerous doggies, pout and one strap conger till 2 hours after high, by which time the wind dropped to a light breeze and the sea was perfect for the rays, then it stopped dead till 2 hours before low, when it picked up again. I had already lost count of the dogs and thought they would reappear at low, not giving the rays a chance to pick up. But they did'nt, just the occasional ones.
Then the rays came on the feed, best session I have had anywhere from the shore (or boat) for rays. Had 7 smalleyeds in all, biggest went about 6 pounds, and only had the one small one of 2 1/2 pound. Luckily I had brought enough bait for the extended session and it was now on the flood about 1 1/2 after low, I was getting more rays than doggies which makes a nice change. I had been fishing one rod at range and one about 60-70yrds out, I had been catching all the rays on the close in rod, except the one small 2 1/2 pounder. I blasted out another sandeel, it could not have been in the water more than 5 minutes and get the moster of all slack liners, I grab the rod wind down and connect with something Big. It felt like another ray, alot of weight, but then it started peeling line off the drag and making several runs. I slowly wound in and loved every minute of the fight, especially as I knew there were no snags to steal the fish.
In comes another ray, I think it a huge double smally, but no a nice blonde of just over 20lb, not my first ever blonde from the shore, but it beats my last one by about 16lb :eek: . A quick self timered photo and she was released.
left the beach at about 3.45am absoultley knackered as I had worked all day on the farm and then fished for 10 hours, but it was worth it. The rays were still feeding when I came off the beach I still had another pack of sandeel, but I was quite content with the session I had.
Got home and thought that would do me for a while, but I might go out again tonight seeing as the weather is spot on for them again :D .
Anybody facy a go, great session, just a pitty I was the only one on the beach.
I took the pics on a film camera, but am going to get them developed today and put on a cd too, I am hoping they come out it was a bit of a prop, push, lift fish and hope they come out type of shot. Pics to follow.
Tight Lines

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
nice one m8...sounds like you had a blast..im off tonight,,as im determined to catch somthing of interest of the pier.....

Been fishing it twice a week for the last year,,,so its about time..

Tonight is my night i think..

Marcus :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the best quality pics, but you get the idea.

Just a couple of the average smalleyeds from last night.

I weighed it at home on the digital scales and it came up 17lb9oz, I think my spring scale is about 3lb off. Oh well still a nice fish, great fight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, she went back. If I had kept her I would have taken some good pics with the digi camera at home. On the beach it came up as 20lb4oz on the spring scale, looking at the fish on the beach it was big but didn't look 20. I loaded up 20lb of melting lead in a bag according to the spring scale and put it on the digital scale in the bathroom, it came up 17lb9oz, I am assuming the spring scale is wrong and not the digital, its fairly rusty, if that does anything to it? I find thornbacks and blondes have a slightly off taste.
I do however regularly keep some wings of the smalleyeds, they are great fired up or in a fish pie, I think mainly because they are fish eaters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well since you say so Marcus, we'll call it 20 :D .

Seriousley though I think it time for a more modern pair of scales, or maybe guesstametes are they way to go :cool: .

·
Registered
24 Posts
awesome session cpepper

fished it sat nite and was totally dogged out - within moments of baits hitting the bed the tip was rattling away

mananged 1 small eye between 3 of us and speaking to others on the beach not much else came in

hope you dont mind me asking a question or 2...........

am i correct in thinking you get onto the beach before high tide and fish the over top tide and the tide down? is it possible to do this on any size tides? or do you fish in front of the ladder so u always have an escape route?

congrats on a top session!!

cheers guiseppe (cardiff)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome to the site guiseppe, hope you enjoy as much as all of us m8y. another cardiff boy eay, i,m tempted to try monknash, u lot are makin me jelous........bellboy, where are you. monknash m8, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. and lunker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guiseppe,
I did fish over high tide, it is possible to fish it through anytide, though you would really only want to if the surf is not too big, more for ease of fishing than saftey. I have been fishing Monknash/Wick for the last 10 years and is my main mark, especially now I work so close.
I fished on the Monknash side of the Wick ledges, there is quite good depth of water when casting onto the beach at high water, it is possible to walk round to the ladders in all but the highest of springs, combined with an onshore blow, so in an emegency there is that option.
If you plan on fishing over high tide you have to get round the point near the entrance to the beach by about 2 hours before high, even then it is a real slog of about 1km over the boulders to get to the ledges, good exercise though.
Most of the rays are taken around -1 to +3 hours of low water, though I have had them through the tide.
Tight Lines
Chris

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I dunno about you guys but up here, dogger-avoidance is vital in getting a ray or 2!

There are 2 different tactics that can work:

1) Big baits i.e. mackerel head/guts don't fit in a dogger's mouth. This can work, but I have the feeling that the damn things sit there with part of said bait in mouth...

or: 2) once you have a dogger a cast on your baits move downtide a distance away from them! The buggers are so good at finding fish-baits but once they're onto an area they swarm it. This I tried on an all nighter at Borth 3 years ago & it worked. Dog dog dog etc so I moved 250m north - the tide on the flood here runs S-N. Result was a 10lb & 7lb small-eyed plus a bonus 4lb bass, before the doggers set in once again. Decent fish all caught in under an hour!

Cheers - John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts