World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished near Monknash last night from 2 hours before (7.40pm) low up 4 hours (1.40am). Great session, loads of bites. 4 small eyed, all small (biggest 3 pound), but good fun. 1 chicken turbot and 2 pout. All fish caught after the tide had turned and was dark, even for the turbot which was caught at 11.30pm, first time I have caught one at night, usually only a daytime fish.
Going again tonight, seeing as they are on the feed. There were only 2 other guys down there, walk past them, so to far to see how they got on. Looong walk to my favourite spot, but worth it.
Tight Lines

·
Banned
280 Posts
Sounds like a great evenings fishing, im gonna give Monknash a try myself sometime this week hopefully, what bait/rigs did you catch the rays on m8, cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took squid, mackeral, jelly crab and sandeel. I should only have bothered taking one bait. SANDEEL, did the job, all the other bait did not get a touch. About to leave now and fish 3 down 2 up as I have to work tommorow am early :(, taking 4 pack of snadeel :D
I have been trying to get large sandeel or launce, but everywhere is out, I ended up baiting one up on the pennel and lashing another one alongside with bait elastic, seemed to work well and used up those smaller sandeels you always get in the pack.
I will post a report to let you know how tonight went.
Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fished Monknash yesterday late afternoon (6pm) till about 12.30am. Got there at about 4 hours before low and set up. Only the one Turbot before low water, was hoping for more as they are great on the plate.
As the night before the fish did not really come on the feed untill low and the flood. Had one small eyed of 2lb, one dogfish and one monster pout.
Thinking of putting in a good daytime session on Monday or Tuesday for some more Turbot hopefully. Have to check the tides and hope low conencides with darkness for the rays as well. Anyone interested in coming along?
Alot more people last night than the night before. I spoke to a couple on the way back from the end of the beach. Heard of small eyed of 6.5lb, 8lb, and several smaller ones. No Bass yet.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of Monkfish coming from this venue, I know thwey are ocassionally caught by the boats not far from the shore and where fairly commonplace a while back?
Tight Lines

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monknash is about 15 minutes outside of bridgend, let me know if you need directions. I work at the Stud farm across the road from the car park that you park in to get to the beach. It is quite a walk, especially if fishing the far side of the beach. I used to walk the public footpath from Wick and down the ladders on the cliff, but is now more convienent, as I work at the farm. For anyone reading this the farm does not own the car park that you have to pay your pound for parking, the guy who does is a multi millionaire and lives in the houses on right of the footpath through the woods down to the beach, just something to think about ;) .
It is considered a low water mark due to the high cliffs and possibility of getting cut off, especially on springs. But it does produce through the tide and I had my best bass at high tide on a spring whilst fishing off the boulders, 30yrds out at the gulley where the boulders and sand meet. But a word of caution, the cliffs are very unstable and to do so is at your own risk, its not just the big cliff falls that can kill you.
I usually fish a pulley pennel in summer with sandeel, sometimes crab or larger squid mackeral baits. Some good thornbacks come off the mussels beds at the wick ledges, but the price is lost tackle.
Tight Lines
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Paul,
Yup, I only took sandeel. I rarely use anything else at this time of year. Alot of people talk up crab and it has it usues, but I only tend to use it for the smoothies.
Sandeel is a must for the Turbot, either that or a thin strip of mackeral, but the sandeel will hold together and have scent for a good 15-20 mins as long as the crabs aren't on the attack. Squid does sometimes sort out the bigger small eyeds, sometimes :rolleyes:
Tight Lines
Chris

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Thanks for the info but 30 mins walk, ladders, cliffs, small falls killing you thanks m8 but I ain't that dedicated :)

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Mr roller
I have fished this mark only twice and to be honest I have seen some real good fish come off here in those two times.
I think as long as your careful this is a good place to fish.
A Beautiful Clean beach no tackle losses and the chance of some good fish.
We got there the other night as the sun was setting it was incredible.
This is going to be one of my regular spots

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Barrelreef, you say you came as the sun was setting, where there 3 of you? I was the guy at the far end of the beach, I think you may have been next to me.
Took the camera and got some great pics, it is a great venue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As for the cod fishing, when its good its great, but don't be suprised if you blank. I only fish the springs and darkness for the cod, crab works well for the codling early on and big squid and black lug for the bigger fish.
A better mark is the deep water gulley at Nash on Spring lows, this is where the sand bank is closest to the shore and almost funnels the fish.
Tight Lines.

·
Registered
76 Posts
cpepper said:
I took squid, mackeral, jelly crab and sandeel. I should only have bothered taking one bait. SANDEEL, did the job, all the other bait did not get a touch. About to leave now and fish 3 down 2 up as I have to work tommorow am early :(, taking 4 pack of snadeel :D
I have been trying to get large sandeel or launce, but everywhere is out, I ended up baiting one up on the pennel and lashing another one alongside with bait elastic, seemed to work well and used up those smaller sandeels you always get in the pack.
I will post a report to let you know how tonight went.
Cheers
sand eels are out fishing all baits at the mo, except 4 the peelers i suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts